amuck-landowner

Looking to Colo

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I wish Quadranet or a DC in Los Angeles or a reseller had similar pricing.
Oh Colocrossing probably does :) Just tell them you don't like me.

Quadranet has a boatload of resellers and surely a bunch of companies to consider.  If your heart is set on Quadranet, then post a new thread looking for companies with space in Quadranet.   

earl

I don't need to reload often if at all once I get things stable. 

I wish Quadranet or a DC in Los Angeles or a reseller had similar pricing.
same with me, I normally install proxmox so when I do move servers I just back up my container and restore in the new server, but it's always nice to know that you can do this yourself from the CP instead of waiting for someone at the DC..

I was really contemplating on doing colo last year but after figuring out the prices it just was not worth it to colo the older hardware considering you are responsible for the hardware and also if you need to add ram etc most DC will charge remote hands which gets kinda expensive.. I'm thinking about sending SC some Hard drives when the IPMI is available maybe I can setup RAID on it

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
F

it just was not worth it to colo the older hardware considering you are responsible for the hardware

This is really what is keeping me away from colo. I wouldn't have access to the hardware very frequently if at all so I would have to rely on remote hands (read paying money) to have small services done.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This is really what is keeping me away from colo. I wouldn't have access to the hardware very frequently if at all so I would have to rely on remote hands (read paying money) to have small services done.

Remote hands can be very expensive, especially when breakage happens.

If you are going to colo or considering it, you should make sure to heavily document all your colo'd gear down to the internal components prone to failure (drives, fans, PSU).   Keep a supply of spares wherever you are and make sure the facility will allow for parts storage on site (even at cost).  Ship a batch of parts for the server once racked.

Other thing to do is standardize on a server line when deploying multiple colo units.  That way you know what all the servers are and the spare are identical.

Colo really can be done in a cost effective manner.  You have to be highly organized and intentional in what you do.  Meticulous records are mandatory.

As for hand on, best to get the rates and hours up front.  I only deal with 24/7 operations typically.  Lots of oddballs with 9-5 M-F hands on and everything else is staff on call billed at emergency rates.

Last thing, demo run and install and test everything to be deployed locally first and make sure you know how to administer it before shipping.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Remote hands can be very expensive, especially when breakage happens.

Yes, I am very aware of this.

If you are going to colo or considering it, you should make sure to heavily document all your colo'd gear down to the internal components prone to failure (drives, fans, PSU).   Keep a supply of spares wherever you are and make sure the facility will allow for parts storage on site (even at cost).
What is the normal cost for this, I haven't been able to find out very easily.

Colo really can be done in a cost effective manner.  You have to be highly organized and intentional in what you do.  Meticulous records are mandatory.
Yay, I actually love logging things and I keep really good records as is.

Last thing, demo run and install and test everything to be deployed locally first and make sure you know how to administer it before shipping.
Already done, I keep 2 of all my servers. 1 for production, 1 for testing. 

earl

Initially I just thought it would be neat to own the hardware, there was so many cheap and tempting deals on ebay that I was going to buy one and ship it direct to the DC, but you can never get the specs you want at the right price and I would not trust the guys at the DC to do things like add a CPU etc.. even a budget company like WII will charge you to install RAM so the savings you get for buying a cheap server is quickly reduced with having to pay for remote hands .. in the end it just was not worth it for the kind of hardware I was looking to colo, considering that some companies are willing to accept customer sent hardware like hard drives for a rented server it really does not make sense..

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What is the normal cost for this, I haven't been able to find out very easily.

Stocking spares... Well, good luck there.  Many bargain facilities give the deer in headlights look about parts storage.  Somewhat hard to find.

The stealthful way to stock spares in some facilities that do not offer such is to take advantage of their often cheap additional rack unit charge and ship a full, unused parts server.

Good to ask up front about facility relationships with supply/parts vendors.   So facilities have relationships to get same day parts across town to facility.  Meaning you can order/pay for such and have them delivered locally there.  I've done that in the past.

earl

Stocking spares... Well, good luck there.  Many bargain facilities give the deer in headlights look about parts storage.  Somewhat hard to find.

The stealthful way to stock spares in some facilities that do not offer such is to take advantage of their often cheap additional rack unit charge and ship a full, unused parts server.

Good to ask up front about facility relationships with supply/parts vendors.   So facilities have relationships to get same day parts across town to facility.  Meaning you can order/pay for such and have them delivered locally there.  I've done that in the past.
Excellent tips!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I still believe colo is the better route if you are operating your own projects. If you are a seller of services to people, then I'd recommend dedicated server rental with real SLA and 24/7 hands availability.

I've been colo'ing gear since the 1990's.

concerto49

Verified Provider

In a lot of higher end facilities, there is no spare part storage. It goes in the rack, so you're essentially paying for rack space. Good luck. We stock our own spare parts mostly in the rack. Depends.

Colo isn't worth it unless in large scale.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
... Colo isn't worth it unless in large scale.
That's what I am starting to realize. However large scale can sometimes be a single server with the proper specs. I may end up building out a server with 2x3TB drives and 2x128GB SSDs - That would really fit me needs best and if I could colo it for cheap it would be the best price for that kind of meat in a server.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Large scale is typically what the bills are at facilities when you need stacks of drives and tons of RAM.

Something I neglected to point out when dealing with colo is to have a local/regional person who is competent and can do admin work on site as needed. Facility hands can be limited or greatly delayed when you need them most. Plus the fees can add up quickly. Dedicated flat rate admin can sometimes been a life saver.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I usually don't ressurect old threads, but I do think this one is worth it. I ended up going with an RTO server from SouthBendServers. @Zach is awesome and helps out a ton, he's a great guy and runs a reputable company. (He didn't pay me or anything to say this  :p )

I got the best deal I could in this case and the DC they are in has a good mix of peers. Level3, Internap, and Cogent make up the mix. And the latency to the west coast isn't bad.

Zach

Verified Provider
I usually don't ressurect old threads, but I do think this one is worth it. I ended up going with an RTO server from SouthBendServers. @Zach is awesome and helps out a ton, he's a great guy and runs a reputable company. (He didn't pay me or anything to say this  :p )

I got the best deal I could in this case and the DC they are in has a good mix of peers. Level3, Internap, and Cogent make up the mix. And the latency to the west coast isn't bad.
I appreciate the kind words and look forward to working with you in the future, Brendan!

amuck-landowner