Microsoft creates AI bot that spams Twitter with Overt Racism

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by drmike, Mar 24, 2016.

1. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    Craziest mess I've seen in many years.

Microsoft released a Tweeting bot the public could interact with. Allegedly an AI project.  Quickly the bot went to insulting Mexicans, Jews and blacks.

MS blames it on troublemakers finding exploits in the bot.  

Me I think the creators of the bot are sociopaths and the machine learning and code is bias from their own deficiencies.

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-deletes-racist-genocidal-tweets-from-ai-chatbot-tay-2016-3?r=UK&IR=T

Or as RT said succinctly:

Microsoft’s new AI chatbot @TayandYou censored after turning into hardcore anti feminist nazi in <24 hrs http://on.rt.com/782o

Microsoft is doing their usual dog and pony show to clean up the mess and neuter Tay, taking the tongue from it's mouth and indoctrinating Tay with some 'reschooling'.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
    k0nsl likes this.
  2. OneStepHosting

OneStepHosting New Member Verified Provider

Oct 5, 2015
    Maybe Trump hacked into MS twitter account... :p

3. HalfEatenPie

HalfEatenPie The Irrational One Retired Staff

Mar 25, 2013
    HalfEatenPie
    And... this is why we can't have nice things.

:V

4. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    Reminds me of last summer's Google Photos algorithm screwup that labeled people as gorillas, and the Google Maps racist screwup a couple of months before that.

"Troublemakers abusing Tay" is a predictable event that should have been dealt with during development.

fm7, graeme and drmike like this.
  5. k0nsl

k0nsl Bad Goy

Dec 15, 2013
    I found the whole affair rather comical.

fm7, MannDude and drmike like this.
  6. Geek

Geek Technolojesus Verified Provider

May 31, 2014
    __geek__

[​IMG]

.Green Power?  Kermit the Klan?  What the fuck?

@k0nsl, you so craaaazy!  :D :D   Life is so much more interesting when you let a little bit of everyone in as a part of it.  
    It just is.  

** I just realized ... I moved into a larger office a few weeks ago, more windows, the screen to my left, a Donald Trump article.  The screen to my right?   Well, yeah, A couple people probably think I'm a tool now.  Thank goodness for early mornings where I can blame lack of coffee...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
    k0nsl likes this.
  7. Geek

Geek Technolojesus Verified Provider

May 31, 2014
    __geek__

Welcome to Portland. Here's your pre-completed voting forms. Just sign here.  No no, blood is preferred.
    Now here, enjoy our world renowned Voodoo Doughnuts and shut the hell up.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  8. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
  9. HN-Matt

HN-Matt New Member Verified Provider

Dec 19, 2013
    No offense, but if you think a circa 2016 'Twitter chatbot scandal' constitutes 'the discussion' to begin with... I mean, what's next? 4chan Posts A Bad Thing?

Anyway, #praying4RedScareBot.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
    fm7 likes this.
  10. HN-Matt

Dec 19, 2013
    *Augmented Terminator Vision homes in on hostile Double Bubble package*

11. HN-Matt

Dec 19, 2013
    So... has anyone managed to read overt racism into the decisions of HFT algorithms yet?

12. k0nsl

k0nsl Bad Goy

Dec 15, 2013
    Here are some of the tweets, but yeah, there's a ton of tweets missing from this 'archive'. At any rate, at least the images in that link hasn't been censored. These same newspapers have few qualms about showing blown up people and similar gory content, but heavens forbid, don't show me no frogs draped in KKK gowns, etc,. If they find these sort of things so offensive they could easily put a disclaimer / trigger warning on such articles and let real men and women decide if they want to read it or not. I sometimes wonder what these folks would do if suddenly the Earth was taken back to how we used to live in the Stone Age. They wouldn't survive a day.

PS:

I found this article to be a good read on the subject. You might too.

fm7 likes this.
  13. HN-Matt

Dec 19, 2013
    Some fragments from /pol/ https://archive.is/ckcY1 (didn't read, possibly NSFW)

No it isn't. Comes off as Just Another Confused Clickbait Non-event, really. Basically a series of Twitter personas made ~taboo~ tweets at 'an AI' in hopes of generating predictably absurd output, and when it responded generically or by varying degree of non sequitor or without conscious intent... that makes 'it' racist?

I have no defense of Microsoft's motives either, but at the same time it seems hilarious that the media is trying to scapegoat an AI for what seemingly 'occurs regularly' on the internet without it anyway.

Also amusing that some of the superficial correlations the bot made may have been no less stupid, in terms of methodology and technique, than a lot of what passes for Analysis today (i.e. 'data surfacing' and so on). As if the bot was unintentionally parodying the Annals of so-called Sentient Analysis.

The world will not know peace until Poe's Law and Apophenia get married become friends produce a rigorous metacritique of their own 'conscious' selection biases are sacrificed on the altar of Internet Rorschach tests, ad nauseam.

fm7 likes this.
  14. fm7

fm7 Active Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Perfect. I couldn't have put it better myself.

15. HN-Matt

Dec 19, 2013
    Sentiment Analysis? I guess that sorta works too. Sentient shmentient.

One more: http://archive.is/bCT2q

[INSERT much like in web hosting amirite, etc.]

Christ, amazing the Twitter Trust & Safety Council didn't get to her first.

k0nsl and fm7 like this.
  16. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    The AI lacks the "I" to avoid being manipulated.

17. HN-Matt

Dec 19, 2013
    In other news, all HitLeap accounts are precisely Hitler. Just erase the "p" and decouple the lil "c" from the "a", then rotate it...

18. davidgestiondbi

davidgestiondbi New Member Verified Provider

May 2, 2014
    The funniest part was the guys who ask if she love feminist (after the fix). She respond: "Yes, Now I love them" (facepalm)

drmike likes this.
  19. HN-Matt

Dec 19, 2013
    This could make for a great RPG or Choose Your Own Adventure scenario.

20. DomainBop

DomainBop Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Oct 11, 2013
    fm7 likes this.