amuck-landowner

Namecheap dns servers offline?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Currently all of my namecheap hosted domains are offline.

I am not able to resolve anything.

Support is quite busy:

namecheapsupport.jpg

Anyone knowing what's going on?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
TL;DR don't use a registrar's DNS servers  as your only DNS servers.  Relying on one provider for your DNS will inevitably lead to downtime.
If namecheap would only support secondary dns servers...

Time to move to a secure place.

Any suggestions?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I've been using my own DNS network for a while; none of my important stuff uses registrar DNS. Could my network be DDoSed in a second? Yup. Will it be? Of course not - too small. But monitoring ensures that even if it is, it can be switched over to a reliable third-party DNS service by using my domain provider's API in minutes. I like my setup.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
If namecheap would only support secondary dns servers...

Time to move to a secure place.

Any suggestions?
I like to be safe with DNS so I go the overkill route: PowerDNS master (at VPS.us in NL) with 5 of my own PowerDNS slaves (all low end VPS's and all at different geographically dispersed providers) plus a few ClouDNS slaves.

My advice would be to never rely on just one company for your DNS because it introduces a single point of failure if their main system goes down (which has happened in the past to CloudFlare, GoDaddy, and this week NameCheap).

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I use dns.he.net , never had problem with it.
Well, Hurricane Electric has a big network. I'm not surprised that they have such good uptime. But anything without redundancy has the potential for downtime.

tortau

Yikes, to think at one point in time, I had considered using Namecheap's DNS service and moving all my domains over just for the sake of simplicity.

JPC-Sabrina

Some of these DDoS attacks are massive like the one that hit namecheap. The problem is beyond choosing the right company. GoDaddy was hit last year too. Initial estimates show the attack size was over 100Gbps, These attacks are getting bigger and bigger so don't hold a grudge against Namecheap.

amuck-landowner