amuck-landowner

NON-CC GVH

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
In some ways, I feel like Dallas is a second-class location for ServerHub. They don't have test files for it on their VPSB ad landing page and they mention PhoenixNAP more. But in another way, it seems very important to them as they have a separate ASN for the Dallas location. But that seems to be part of the problem. The transition to the separate ASN occurred over the past several months, and it was hardly smooth. IPv6 was down for about two months while they moved things over, I observed painfully slow network performance on occasion, and as has been noted there have been many "maintenance periods". I am glad my VPS with ServerHub is not a production box - I would have been in trouble. According to the network issue page linked in the previous page, things should be back to normal. I'm not in a position to test either my ServerHub box or my GVH box, but I'll post back when things are resolved. Still trying to figure out what ServerHub/Eonix are up to in Dallas.

GVH-Jon

Banned
Speaking as someone in the exact same shoes, the owner has to work on finishing his site. His 'dedicated servers'

tab was full of stub data and if I didn't click the 'from $xxx' link I would have assumed it was just an anchor tag.

I'm not sure why Jon would order from such a site unless he got recommended them by one of his advisers?

Their prices are high but Chicago isn't normally a cheap DC area.

Francisco
They are a local company in the Chicago area and Lance met them in person. We're paying them literally around the ballpark of 3x what we would pay CC for the same exact configuration but to be honest we think it's totally worth it for the quality that they're providing.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
They are a local company in the Chicago area and Lance met them in person. We're paying them literally around the ballpark of 3x what we would pay CC for the same exact configuration but to be honest we think it's totally worth it for the quality that they're providing.
ColoCrossing actually dumped 350 East Cermak in favor of Dupont Fabros in 2009.

Recognizing increased demand, ColoCrossing chose to re-locate its Chicago based datacenter operations in early 2009 from 350 East Cermak (downtown), to Dupont Fabros in Elk Grove Village (8 miles from Chicago O'Hare airport). Since that time, ColoCrossing has been able to provide timely and effective service deployments ranging from dedicated servers, to super high density colocation.

As far as getting the exact same server configuration goes, you should seriously think of moving to E5's/X56xx (with 128GB+ RAM), etc if you are going to continue to offer high RAM plans.  The move would probably decrease the number of  complaints  that have been posted on various forums about problems with your service.  As an end user I will not even consider buying a high RAM plan on a 32GB E3 node.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Level3 is indeed working and network speeds are where I expect them on my GVH VPS. My ServerHub VPS also has Level3 online, but network speeds are still very slow - 3MB/s or less. Both are having some routing issues: IPv4 traceroutes to Google go through Cogent rather than Level3, and instead of hitting Google's Dallas DC, they route up to Chicago - a 26ms trip that should be only 8ms. IPv6 traceroutes go through Level3 to Dallas as expected. No idea why. I have a ticket open at ServerHub about the routing issues and network speeds.

amuck-landowner