amuck-landowner

OpticServers LTD goes live with owned Datacenter! Uk Based

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Glad to see this went over better than usual :)

Small starting DC / server rooms indeed have to start somewhere.

I for one rather enjoy builds like this / wish to see more of them.

The McMega datacenter thing folks get their rocks off about here and on other hosting sites is just blah.   It's tired and it's for big business.  Nice that some hosts have widdled down the cost to even be in some of those places, but they aren't the solution to the world's problems - just makes in theory things an easier sale to customers. Plenty of those DC's after you peel back the veneer aren't really that great.  Sure they might have a big gen set and some racks with batteries... Sure they might have whatever for air handling...  But stuff is the same / does the same / can be done at smaller scale and do so just fine in a boutique model.
Thanks and yea it was not that cheap when it is coming from our own pockets no investors :p but we are not so much in it for the big business and that is really true, for now we just want focus on offering a extremely good service for the lowest possible price we can afford. 

Just a Heads up! we do not officially sell Dedicated Servers or Colocation YET but if you are wanting these Services then please contact us though Email or Skype and we can arrange something.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Our Connections? : 2 x 1Gbps Direct Fibre Optic Connections (Dedicated)
..and 2Gbps total connectivity?
FirstHeberg's DC in France also had a capacity of  2 x 1Gbps from the time they opened it in 2012 until they upgraded to 2 x 10Gbps this August.

we are limiting Dedicated Ports (1Gbps) and VPS Ports (100Mbps)
You could limit it some more (or lower the guaranteed bandwidth)  and still sell servers.  When FirstHeberg had the 2 x1Gbps setup they offered 100 Mbps ports with a 10 Mbps guarantee on their cheaper dedicateds and 1Gbps port/100Mbps guarantee on the more expensive ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

OpticServers

Verified Provider
FirstHeberg's DC in France also had a capacity of  2 x 1Gbps from the time they opened it in 2012 until they upgraded to 2 x 10Gbps this August.

You could limit it some more (or lower the guaranteed bandwidth)  and still sell servers.  When FirstHeberg had the 2 x1Gbps setup they offered 100 Mbps ports with a 10 Mbps guarantee on their cheaper dedicateds.and 1Gbps port/100 Mbps guarantee on the more expensive ones.
Thanks for that, right now our network has more then enough capacity why we will have quite a lot of traffic going though it. if we need to do some more limits we may we will probably just end up upgrading our uplinks once we get even slightly saturated :)

Steven F

Verified Provider
What Arbor hardware are you using?

Also, another thing is even if you can filter 60 Gbps, what does it matter if your uplink is 2 Gbps?

OpticServers

Verified Provider
What Arbor hardware are you using?

Also, another thing is even if you can filter 60 Gbps, what does it matter if your uplink is 2 Gbps?
As i have mentioned before our upstream provider utilizes the Arbor Hardware and they filter the DDoS Attack before it even reach's our edge and i do not understand about the 2Gbps Uplink Question?

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Currently working on getting a automatic rDNS System working for OpticServers VPS Control Panel and also natively allowing IPv6!

Steven F

Verified Provider
As i have mentioned before our upstream provider utilizes the Arbor Hardware and they filter the DDoS Attack before it even reach's our edge and i do not understand about the 2Gbps Uplink Question?
I misunderstood. I thought you had a 60 Gbps filter for 2 Gbps of bandwidth.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Ah! No we have 2 x 1 Gbps Direct Fibre Connections and we have 40Gbps Dedicated Arbor Hardware before our edge with a 60Gbps Burst if it has the network capacity at that moment in time.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I'd change that switch before you start piling on the clients - as others have said, you don't want a full on network outage (100%) later on when you've grown too big for it just because you have to replace the core switch.

I know you've said that it's fine for now, but when "for now" runs out, you'll get the aforementioned 100% outage and your customers wont thank you for it regardless of how quick the replacement is and, anyone will tell you here, that it wont be a 30 second job. Something *always* goes wrong.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
I'd change that switch before you start piling on the clients - as others have said, you don't want a full on network outage (100%) later on when you've grown too big for it just because you have to replace the core switch.

I know you've said that it's fine for now, but when "for now" runs out, you'll get the aforementioned 100% outage and your customers wont thank you for it regardless of how quick the replacement is and, anyone will tell you here, that it wont be a 30 second job. Something *always* goes wrong.
Yes i know we currently only have 2 servers under it and they are both limited to 1Gbps and each VPS is limited to 100Mbps this is a 1 Gbps Port and it is actually one of the higher end netgear models we will change it to a very high end router as soon as we can justify it for now it is under no load at all and handling the traffic very well but yes i fully understand that we do eventually need to change our core switch.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Yes i know we currently only have 2 servers under it and they are both limited to 1Gbps and each VPS is limited to 100Mbps this is a 1 Gbps Port and it is actually one of the higher end netgear models we will change it to a very high end router as soon as we can justify it for now it is under no load at all and handling the traffic very well but yes i fully understand that we do eventually need to change our core switch.
We understand it is fine now, what I and others are trying to get at, it is a large task which requires a fair bit of downtime (possibly more if does not go as intended) to replace a core switch which is not in a redundant setup, so better to do ASAP to minimise the amount of client's your be effecting doing a rather large change.

Edit: also going by the model number in the photo attached, I would not call it higher end switch, with a current purchase price of £99 from PCWorld, again we are just trying to advise you to minimise further issues in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

OpticServers

Verified Provider
We understand it is fine now, what I and others are trying to get at, it is a large task which requires a fair bit of downtime (possibly more if does not go as intended) to replace a core switch which is not in a redundant setup, so better to do ASAP to minimise the amount of client's your be effecting doing a rather large change.

Edit: also going by the model number in the photo attached, I would not call it higher end switch, with a current purchase price of £99 from PCWorld, again we are just trying to advise you to minimise further issues in the future.
Yes i fully understand and i was not saying the price is high end we actually got it for a little more then that but the specifications for our Uplinks and current Traffic is fine but when i mean we can justify it i mean with in a week or so since we are growing at quite a stable pace, and it should not take more then 30 seconds to switch out the Switch of course cable management and such but the actual just moving out ethernet cables should not take more then 30 - 60 seconds but yes i do fully understand what you are saying.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Fixed some back end issues with Extra IP Assignment and Made a lot of the backend code a lot more efficient. Currently working on Snapshot System :p then we will be working on natively allowing IPv6 on VPS's!

QuadraNet_Adam

Verified Provider
Why not just rent a private cage or suite from an actual datacenter instead?

Is this just office space that you're using, what is the address/name of the building?

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Why not just rent a private cage or suite from an actual datacenter instead?

Is this just office space that you're using, what is the address/name of the building?
Because this is what everyone else does. we have the privileged access to a 2000 square feet building and we decided we should build a room and we can make our own datacenter.. why not? this way we can manage everything ourselves.

And all Contact and Support Information is on our website: https://opticservers.com/support/

trewq

Verified Provider
Because this is what everyone else does. we have the privileged access to a 2000 square feet building and we decided we should build a room and we can make our own datacenter.. why not? this way we can manage everything ourselves.

And all Contact and Support Information is on our website: https://opticservers.com/support/
While I enjoy your optimism and very much hope you succeed with this venture, there's a reason everyone else rents space in a purpose built datacenter.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
While I enjoy your optimism and very much hope you succeed with this venture, there's a reason everyone else rents space in a purpose built datacenter.
Yup.. and i totally understand there reasoning but for us we have direct access to this building and in the long run it worked out better for us in terms of price, quality of service and management of our service. and its a lot of fun :p

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Yup.. and i totally understand there reasoning but for us we have direct access to this building and in the long run it worked out better for us in terms of price, quality of service and management of our service. and its a lot of fun :p
See, I genuinely don't think you do. Looking at the kit you have already in your single rack, none of that constitutes anything near being worthy of 'DC' status or even capable. If you're saying it works out better for you in terms of price then I can't see how you hope to expand to any degree when you're starting off with poor kit that 'fits' your 'price'. I see no large power feeds or commando sockets (which is the norm). No proper HVAC, just some fans and sound proofing.

I don't think you fully understand the concept of a 'datacenter' or indeed what's actually involved in setting one up and running it. The whole "we'll upgrade when it's needed" line is seriously cringe worthy.

I get the fact you're excited about doing this and the fact you have the premises is great. Passion is good when it comes to new ventures but ignorance isn't bliss. If you're not going to do it properly from the outset then you're only creating more work for yourselves in the long run and setting yourselves up for a very steep fall as well as letting any customers you somehow get down quite badly. I don't want to cause too much offence here but I genuinely believe you don't know what you're doing here.

amuck-landowner