amuck-landowner

OVH intends to ruin the hosting industry.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider

Looks like France is gearing up to help 'em: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/12/new_french_law_to_require_backdoors/

"Equipment manufacturers must take into account in their structures the need to give the police as part of a judicial inquiry and after authorization by a judge, access to hardware," reads Amendment CL92, published last week.

"France must take the lead by requiring equipment manufacturers to consider the imperative of access by police and gendarmes, under the supervision of a judge and only in the context of a judicial inquiry, to these materials. The objective is to avoid individual encryption systems that will further delay the investigation."

In an interview last April, Octave claimed OVH would leave France if the 'black box' surveillance law passed.

OVH est dirigé par Octave Klaba. Celui-ci, parti de rien, mais geek extrêmement talentueux, peut se vanter d'une réussite magnifique et d'avoir offert à la France ce que nos gouvernements appellent parfois "une pépite". Pourtant Octave Klaba pourrait bien déménager ses serveurs hors de France prochainement, et la France perdre sa pépite très créatrice d'emplois, à cause du projet de loi Renseignement. Il explique cela dans une interview accordée à notre confrère Les Echos. Il ne mâche pas ses mots. On le comprend.

"Il y a deux dispositifs avec lesquels je ne suis pas du tout à l’aise. D’une part, la pose de "boîtes noires" et donc d’algorithmes pré-programmés dans les réseaux et chez les hébergeurs, pour surveiller le trafic. Et d’autre part, le système de captation direct d’informations sur des individus ciblés. Le première mesure est censée permettre ensuite de décider qui l’on surveille en permanence. Qui prend cette décision ? Dans quel cadre ? Tout cela doit être encadré par un juge. En tout cas, le projet de loi va permettre la surveillance de masse de la société française. Peut-être qu’en venant de Pologne communiste, je sur-réagis. Mais j’ai connu ce genre de chose dans mon enfance. C’était il y a à peine 25 ans. On est proche des pires régimes. En Chine, c’est une réalité. Il y a une énorme incohérence entre l’objectif et les méthodes utilisées."

[...]

OVH, dont 40% des clients sont des étrangers soucieux de protéger leurs données a des datacenters à Roubaix, à Gravelines, à Strasbourg. Tout cela pourrait être terminé prochainement.

http://www.programmez.com/actualites/ovh-pourrait-quitter-la-france-qui-se-rapproche-des-pires-regimes-22501

1c7eff69682b56ddb9a2b13d8a8a35f2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
French eat stinky cheese while unwashed militant masses execute hundreds of unarmed Frenchies.   No terrorist used crypto... But the big bad bogeyman must be face masked as anti-crypto crusades.

The objective is to avoid individual encryption systems that will further delay the investigation.

The objective rather is to have a dumbed down public unable to defend their soft bodies from even paper cuts.  Referring to the anti gunner status of France.

No terroristastas or their bro-mans have used crypto in any attack... But it's was the rage as soon the Bataclan was hit.  Oh those technologically superior unwashed militant masses and their techtopia.

Time for the French public to rise up.  Roll the guillotines out to town square and start pointing at the leaders.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
and I'd like to see Octave put his big foot in his mouth on this and leave France...

I don't see it happening as OVH allegedly is a big recipient of government handouts.

I'd like someone to push data on this out to public or substantiate the claim.  I  am unsure of the status either way.  They received several hundred thousands of non-refundable handouts in Canada, but that was on a project estimated to be invest of $32+ million.. and where they assumed I believe the Superfund style disaster site of Rio Tinto's aluminium plant.  A site that I feel too little has been wrote about and not widely discussed.

PowerUpHosting-Udit

Verified Provider
and I'd like to see Octave put his big foot in his mouth on this and leave France...

I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I don't see it happening as OVH allegedly is a big recipient of government handouts.

I had a talk with some of the oldest hosting providers a year ago in the industry and they used to tell me how OVH is heavily funded by the Government of France and they have deep roots tied up. This is the reason OVH doesn't mind selling those servers for ridiculously cheap as they don't give a shit about losing the free money.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Making comments like that would get you arrested in some places.....

That's why those places are meh :)  

Guillotines purged the French of their leadership plagues in the past, call it inheritance.   History repeats itself for a reason.

graeme

Who competes with OVH on price? Online.net is also French which is a bit suspicious as far as the State aid goes unless. Hertzner is German and seems competitive BUT does not offer the DDOS protection (and from what I have read are not very helpful if you suffer a DDOS). Who else is there?

AlbaHost

Verified Provider
Servdiscount.com (myloc) has also good price too, i think they offer basic ddos protection too.

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
Who competes with OVH on price? Online.net is also French which is a bit suspicious as far as the State aid goes unless. Hertzner is German and seems competitive BUT does not offer the DDOS protection (and from what I have read are not very helpful if you suffer a DDOS). Who else is there?

There aren't many. Online.net is part of the Iliad group, which also operates Free.fr - one of France's largest ISPs, as well as a major international operator. Online has been known to provide fairly exceptional service, though they've had some issues with network congestion.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Price wise, if you aren't buying the premium newer CPU lines, there is Dacentec, there are multiple provider in Kansas City.   None of those offer DDoS protection at current, at least officially at last glance.

I want to say that server + DDoS protect as OVH does it is novel and price point is rather low.  Issue is OVH buyers are mixed up group.   I assume cheap, so go SoYou or KimSufi, buying real OVH, not so cheap all said.   Guys buying need to look at numbers for a year of service and do math.   Otherwise poor decisions happen... and include growth, IPs, more bandwidth, whatever you may actually need.

graeme

Yes, you can get servers at OVH prices, but there seems to be noone who offers a comparable product at the same price - a comment above said online.net suffers network congestion, hardly anyone else has DDOS protection, etc. Even if you ignore DDOS protection, there are few competitors and all the European competition seems to be in France or Germany.

Incidentally, why does the UK seem generally more expensive for unmanaged dedis?

I am not (right now) looking for a supplier for anything in particular (I may be soon - I will ask in service requests when I am) but I am trying to get a grasp of the market, who the main players are etc.

estnoc

Verified Provider
I wish good luck to OVH to manage it out with same low fee in Asia as they do sell in Europe.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
OVH data centers opening October 15th:

Warsaw https://www.ovh.ie/discover/poland.xml

Singapore: https://www.ovh.ie/discover/singapore.xml

opening October 30:

Sydney: https://www.ovh.ie/discover/australia.xml

The offers in Singapore/Australia are more than twice the price of France/Poland/Canada and only include 3TB/month of transfer (100Mbps unlimited is available for an additional 50eur monthly)..  By comparison, Leaseweb offers 10TB standard on most of their Singapore dedicateds (and I'm paying them S$14.97/about US$11 for a VPS with 10TB at 1Gbps...it was a special).

early verdict based on this first round of new DC location openings: they need to try harder if they want to ruin the hosting industry in Asia/Australia.

willie

Hetzner is cheaper than OVH at dedicated servers and I don't have the impression they're subsidized.  They have DDOS protection for everything now too (announced a month or so ago).  OVH also has that "cloud" stuff with Amazon-like pricing (i.e. 10x what we're used to from cheap hosts) and I guess someone must be buying it.  OVH's most amazing offer is the $3.50 2GB SSD VPS's.  Those have gotten high marks at LET.

graeme

The cheapest OVH cloud offering is an EG-7 which gives you 2 vcores, 200GB of storage, 250 Mbps bandwidth for $28/month.

The storage is high availability (triple redundant distributed Ceph FS), you get unlimited transfer,  a 99.999% SLA and OpenStack API support.

This is a lot cheaper than Amazon and pretty competitive with low end providers (who do not offer triple redundant storage or SLAs).

fm7

Hetzner is cheaper than OVH at dedicated servers and I don't have the impression they're subsidized.

Many popular providers are "subsidized" by spammers ...

Just take a look at senderbase.org :)

The storage is high availability (triple redundant distributed Ceph FS), you get unlimited transfer,  a 99.999% SLA and OpenStack API support.

This is a lot cheaper than Amazon and pretty competitive with low end providers (who do not offer triple redundant storage or SLAs).

" About 5000 VPS are using this Ceph cluster. The deal is simple : it has to work even if we lose 66.66% of the hosts. Here *we lost 1 hard disk and it’s broken*. Once the data are UP, we will write the post-mortem and see if we can find out an another technology for the block storage" Octave

Fs#20636 — vps cloud 2016 - gra ceph

http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=20636

Octave Klaba / Oles ‏@olesovhcom (October, 2 after 17h outage due CEPH):
free month of course for all 5000 VPS ! sorry again for the downtime !

willie

The cheapest OVH cloud offering is an EG-7 which gives you 2 vcores, 200GB of storage, 250 Mbps bandwidth for $28/month..

Oh yes, the public cloud stuff isn't so bad, especially since the have some very large instances available which can come in handy.  I was thinking of the so-called dedicated cloud where you seem to get two midrange dedicated servers for around $500 a month, with the ability to split them into VM's.  I don't remember the exact offering but it was pretty unattractive.

graeme

Ah, yes. That does seem rather expensive but I suppose the premium is for the load balancing, automatically moving VMs from a failed host, management of the hosts (not the VMs) etc. I have not idea how much of premium that is worth.

graeme

@fm7 not living up what it should do clearly but no data loss, right? If they did deliver the prices would be be very good, and, even as it is, they are pretty competitive.

amuck-landowner