Post your workspace/workarea/job sites :D

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Update time!

gPPOT9i.jpg

BSCgtDM.jpg

UPDATE TIME!!

My Linux workstation died (kind of), so I had to improvise... I used my Windows Media PC (aka my Netflix box) to replace my Linux workstation for the time being. The specs are actually much better on that media PC anyhow. Well, as a result of having to swap work PCs I ended up with a pretty decent setup. I consolidated all 3 monitors for use on one machine...

G1ZTI3k.jpg

Not pictured is the piece of wood I have running across the desk that I use to rest my keyboard on so I can sit far enough away from the screens to not burn my eyes out.

3 monitors is actually great. Not used for normal my normal browsing, but during work it's a god-send as I can have things spread out between all three to prevent having to alt+tab or click around to find stuff.

Now I sort of want to get a flight simulator... haha.

I've also reduced the brightness on all 3 monitors to the absolute lowest level which helps with the eye strain. But I think I'll keep this setup, only thing I'll be changing is the OS as I've never really used Windows in the past as an OS for doing work from. Was always for media or games. I felt like an idiot trying to figure out how to connect to a VPN, remote server or use SSH keys on it since I've never done it before from Windows.

Looking at the first photo in this thread the work area has come a long way, even though all that has been added is a proper desk, chair, keyboard and a 3rd monitor. Much better than using a kitchen table and chair. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
UPDATE TIME!!

My Linux workstation died (kind of), so I had to improvise... I used my Windows Media PC (aka my Netflix box) to replace my Linux workstation for the time being. The specs are actually much better on that media PC anyhow. Well, as a result of having to swap work PCs I ended up with a pretty decent setup. I consolidated all 3 monitors for use on one machine...

Not pictured is the piece of wood I have running across the desk that I use to rest my keyboard on so I can sit far enough away from the screens to not burn my eyes out.

3 monitors is actually great. Not used for normal my normal browsing, but during work it's a god-send as I can have things spread out between all three to prevent having to alt+tab or click around to find stuff.

Now I sort of want to get a flight simulator... haha.

I've also reduced the brightness on all 3 monitors to the absolute lowest level which helps with the eye strain. But I think I'll keep this setup, only thing I'll be changing is the OS as I've never really used Windows in the past as an OS for doing work from. Was always for media or games. I felt like an idiot trying to figure out how to connect to a VPN, remote server or use SSH keys on it since I've never done it before from Windows.

Looking at the first photo in this thread the work area has come a long way, even though all that has been added is a proper desk, chair, keyboard and a 3rd monitor. Much better than using a kitchen table and chair. :p
You also removed the in-place window air conditioner.  Also you have a heater right by your foot!  

fixidixi

UHh @William:

what do u do for a living? I have a hard time watching at 3 monitors at a time:

1 has some kind of monitor/irc/movie etc another has some actually useful stuff and a 'main' which actually holds a workspace.

only exception: video editing then i have all the stuff on the 3 monitors and i feel i could use some other/bigger etc..

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Lets see from this angle...

One has an IRC Client

One has VLC

One has the entire Galaxy (better take extra care, we don't want to lose our home!)

One looks like it has shell open (like that one Putty alternative for Windows with tabbed terminal)

One has Firefox (horray)

One has... I want to say Koding, but I don't know enough to tell.

Also I think the laptop on the far left has a page open to an Atlassian product, like JIRA or Confluence (can't tell which though).

Of course it's all probably just speculation.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
UHh @William:

what do u do for a living? I have a hard time watching at 3 monitors at a time:

1 has some kind of monitor/irc/movie etc another has some actually useful stuff and a 'main' which actually holds a workspace.

only exception: video editing then i have all the stuff on the 3 monitors and i feel i could use some other/bigger etc..
Currently jobless :(

Lets see from this angle...

One has an IRC Client

One has VLC

One has the entire Galaxy (better take extra care, we don't want to lose our home!)

One looks like it has shell open (like that one Putty alternative for Windows with tabbed terminal)

One has Firefox (horray)

One has... I want to say Koding, but I don't know enough to tell.

Also I think the laptop on the far left has a page open to an Atlassian product, like JIRA or Confluence (can't tell which though).

Of course it's all probably just speculation.
Usually:

Lower Left to right/Windows:

VLC/Netflix - Main workspace (Firefox/ https://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/ ) - IRC

Top Left to right/Mac:

Twitter - Nagios/Icinga - Shell (unused mainly)

No idea about the laptop, is not mine

trewq

Verified Provider
2iol8l.jpg

Got an extra monitor, hurray more space for IRC!
I know you posted a long time ago but I'm looking at setting up something like this. What monitors do you have? What brakets are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I would post my home office, but at the moment I cant find it.... nah guess I should clean up then. Nothing really impressive now days, moved the test environment somewhere the noise wouldn't be so distracting....

2014-11-21%2014.00.00.jpg

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Its a Dell Ultrasharp (2913wm) Panaromic 29in LCD. I love it :)

Great for those who work from laptops only supporting a single external monitor.

amuck-landowner