amuck-landowner

Prometeus.com is 16 years today!

Abdussamad

16 years is plenty of time to build a reputation and move out of the bargain basement hosting business. Why haven't they done that yet?

rds100

Verified Provider
16 years is plenty of time to build a reputation and move out of the bargain basement hosting business. Why haven't they done that yet?
LOL :) Their main business is nothing like bargain basement - they provide streaming for some of the biggest media companies in Italy, etc. - very high end.

They entered the low end market probably as a hobby of Salvatore / @prometeus, to keep him busy :)

rds100

Verified Provider
So on which of their sites do they list those services?
If your name is for example Silvio Berlusconi you don't go to a website to look for such services, you have people you pay to know where to find the best services for your company :)

Abdussamad

If your name is for example Silvio Berlusconi you don't go to a website to look for such services, you have people you pay to know where to find the best services for your company :)
That makes no sense. Even the most exclusive of companies have websites these days. If you are in the business of selling Internet connectivity you should have a website to detail your services. If you don't believe in the Internet yourself why would anyone trust you to provide Internet access?

rds100

Verified Provider
@Abdussamad i'll tell you something, our main business is providing services to other, smaller iSPs in the area.

I can assure you that none of those other ISPs found out about us from our website. And some of those ISPs have been our customers for 15+ years now.

prometeus

Verified Provider
@Abdussamad, I started working in the IT (or more simply with "computers")  in the mid '80, I didn't grow with internet and most of my business relations in Italy were / are "offline".The vps market is a way to differentiate our business and I want to keep them separate if possible. 

:)

willie

Prometeus may have turned 16 last month, but my 128MB KVM with them has just turned 1 year!

21:53:42 up 365 days, 19:57, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Love that uptime.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Prometeus may have turned 16 last month, but my 128MB KVM with them has just turned 1 year!

21:53:42 up 365 days, 19:57, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Love that uptime.
y u no update :p.

Jokes aside, I have heard too many good things about Sal and if I ever get any non usa VPS, his company will be first on my list.

maounique

Uncle is simply amazing and, yeah, he was kept busy by this vps part, even awake at night...

DDoS, fake shops, abusers, spammers, carders, dd-ers and serverbears by cron, police and judges knocking at his door, yeah, he found something to keep him busy, alright...

I keep waiting for him to tell me one day he is quitting, and he told me straight out I am annoying :p

We try to live and adapt, hopefully will manage for us and our customers :)

Now, our KVMs and Xens have not been rebooted since first started. However, the 30 or so OVZ servers did at least a reboot, probably 2-3 times in average in a year or so if we add up all days and reboots and make an average per server.

This is one of the reasons we do not offer OVZ anymore, at least until we manage to make it more stable (or the OVZ project does).

We did not patch kernels as there was no critical vulnerability, our Xen's have been launched after the discovery of the last one I think and are centos 5.

On KVM the host kernel cannot be accessed by the guests, so only OVZ needed the recent patch.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

Yeah, I got the email a month or so ago about the vulnerability, but since it's a single user KVM and a local exploit, I decided that installing the patch wasn't urgent.  I'll probably upgrade the VPS to Debian 7 now that it's out, but it sure seems like a shame to reboot after this much uptime.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner