amuck-landowner

Quiting smoking.

bizzard

I am trying to get my cousin quit smoking. He smokes almost a pack a day. Everytime I see him, I try to convince him, but he just says he is trying and continues the same. Maybe its because I haven't smoked and don't know how hard its to give up.

nunim

VPS Junkie
On Day 4 again! Craving a lot less this time around, the Nicotine patches are certainly helping.

Also, it's too cold for me to want to go outside for a smoke, Welcome to Canada:

surreyweather-11-21-13.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Did he know you were quitting?  Bit of a dick move there on his part, if so.
Yeah, but he can't go 20 minutes without one. It didn't make me crave them, that's for sure.

Its still too early to say, but I'd like to imagine I got this kicked now. I've been around cigarettes and have note bummed one, I've been drinking without smoking one (though I did puff on a cigar), I've gone through two prolonged outages/downtime/issues on the site without smoking one (aka STRESS), and just generally have not wanted one.

Pete M.

Verified Provider
My brother quit smoking a 3 years ago. He got to the point of smoking a pack a day so he made up his mind to quit. This was the second he was quitting. The first time around it was about 8 years ago and he went cold turkey. Then two years later he bounced back. So this time around instead of going cold turkey he gradually smoked less and less until he got it down to a cigarette a day, then half a cigarette and finally nothing. After that he gained some weight and the first two weeks after quitting were kind of painful for him, but 3 years later he is happier than ever. Smoking sucks, I can't stand the smoke, the smell and the dirt and misery that cigarettes bring, not to mention the health implications. You're better off eating chocolate when you crave a cigarette ;-)

nunim

VPS Junkie
Yeah, but he can't go 20 minutes without one. It didn't make me crave them, that's for sure.

Its still too early to say, but I'd like to imagine I got this kicked now. I've been around cigarettes and have note bummed one, I've been drinking without smoking one (though I did puff on a cigar), I've gone through two prolonged outages/downtime/issues on the site without smoking one (aka STRESS), and just generally have not wanted one.
Sweet, GJ accountabilibuddy! Drinking without smoking... What a foreign concept, I'll have to learn to wrap my head around that one..

Hannan

Verified Provider
Just smoke one cigarette very few days or sometime goes one or more per day. but luckily still good after few years and can stop it for a long time whenever I want to :)

nunim

VPS Junkie
By the end of tonight, I will be at one week without smoking, not a single puff!  I figure 2 more weeks of patches and I'll be good to go.  They say it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit, although I think that's just a myth.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Twenty days, cold turkey. Unsure if I should feel different yet as compared to when I smoked, but I don't. =/

If I keep this up to the New Year I can make a different New Years Resolution than, 'Quit Smoking'.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Twenty days, cold turkey. Unsure if I should feel different yet as compared to when I smoked, but I don't. =/

If I keep this up to the New Year I can make a different New Years Resolution than, 'Quit Smoking'.
Good job! Have a Celebratory Cig!

fapvps

Verified Provider
Congrats to all the quitters! January 11 will be my 3 year anniversary of not smoking anything at all. Quit cold turkey and never looked back or made any exceptions. No cigars or ecigs or hookah. I used to smoke more than a pack a day for 10+ years and I knew it was destroying my health so I had to quit.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
21 days today.

So for New Years, I guess my resolution will be to drop that extra 20lb thats keeping me from my 32X32s. Too cheap to buy new pants.

Reactions: scv
My close friend used to smoke. And so he did for many years. On his birthday I bought him an e-cig with 18mg nicotine liquids. Then he decided to use 11mg, then 6mg and finally 0mg. After some time he stopped smoking completely. At least for him, it worked well.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I went out to the bar last night to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends. The day before Thanksgiving everyone who is from here but lives out of town is in town, thus there are tons of people out and about. Lot of old faces I've not seen since last year and all around a good time was had.

Despite not really wanting one, I sparked up a cig. I think I smoked half of it and put it out.

Was tempted and didn't like it. I'm still considering the 4th of November my 'quit' date :)

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
Nooo!

In related news, I'm making the move down to 6mg eliquid. I probably will continue with 0mg eventually because the actual action of vaping is enjoyable, not to mention delicious.

nunim

VPS Junkie
I went out to the bar last night to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends. The day before Thanksgiving everyone who is from here but lives out of town is in town, thus there are tons of people out and about. Lot of old faces I've not seen since last year and all around a good time was had.

Despite not really wanting one, I sparked up a cig. I think I smoked half of it and put it out.

Was tempted and didn't like it. I'm still considering the 4th of November my 'quit' date :)
:(  Smoking and drinking go together like bread and butter, it will be a tough habit to break, especially since the more you drink the more likely it is that you'll break down and have a smoke.

I'm on day 12 without having a puff, this is further then I've ever come before so I'm going to do my best to keep on track.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Meh. One cigarette in 23 days ain't bad. I don't want one now and that further proved I didn't want one, else I'd have finished it or smoked it without any sort of guilt.

You can smoke in bars here in Indiana, at least in my town. It was crazy wall-to-wall packed, I'm sure the second hand smoke in that place alone was the same as me smoking half a pack.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Meh. One cigarette in 23 days ain't bad. I don't want one now and that further proved I didn't want one, else I'd have finished it or smoked it without any sort of guilt.

You can smoke in bars here in Indiana, at least in my town. It was crazy wall-to-wall packed, I'm sure the second hand smoke in that place alone was the same as me smoking half a pack.
That's lucky, you must be one of the few states left.  FL had it outlawed, and of course it's not allowed in Canada...  I guess I don't have to worry about that now, not that I really like going to bars in the first place.  I'd like to try the E-cig but I don't want spend a ton of money and I'm not sure the wife would approve =/

amuck-landowner