amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi 2

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
So the Raspberry Pi 2 is currently out for sale!  

Sauce: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/raspberry_pi_model_2/

For those of you guys who just want a tldr and specs:

Raspberry Pi 2 is said to be "at least 6x" better performance than that of the B+ Model.  it's now available for purchase at the usual distributors. 

Here's a link from one of the providers: http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/#rpi and  http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/8326274/

The price is supposed to remain at 35 dollars with the following specs:

- Broadcom BCM2836 800MHz ARM Cortex-A7 quad-core processor with VideoCore IV dual-core GPU

- 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM

(Full spec available at the link)

Cool stuff!  Anyone have any plans on upgrading/buying the new ones soon?  What do you think will happen with the additional hardware power?

Edit: here's a link to their official announcement! http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
If I can't get my ODroid C1 working with my monitor then I'll be ordering some of these instead. My model B+ has been going strong so far and my RPi with FitVPS has been extremely useful.

rds100

Verified Provider
I don't even see it yet on www.raspberrypi.org. I think there will be at least a few months before the distributors stock it and it becomes widely available without preordering and waiting.

trewq

Verified Provider
I don't even see it yet on www.raspberrypi.org. I think there will be at least a few months before the distributors stock it and it becomes widely available without preordering and waiting.
I got an email from a supplier in Australia this morning saying they had 200 units in stock but they sold out within an hour. They were selling them from $57AUD too... Bit high of a price if you ask me.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
here's the official announcement on their site!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

One thing I just want to say that raises my eyebrow...

WINDOWS 10
For the last six months we’ve been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.

Visit WindowsOnDevices.com today to join the Windows Developer Program for IoT and receive updates as they become available.
All I gotta say is... WOAH!!!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Woah indeed, that's pretty awesome, even as a non MS user. That'll get a lot more people interested in and on board for sure.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Yep!  Element14 finally updated their site to hold this!  

As for me.  I totally snatched one up! 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Looks like their website wasn't ready for the demand. I'll order one today if they still have stock by the time I'm able to order.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well, count me as impressed.  About time :)  Was considering other alternatives to the Pi.   All it needs now is a real drive interface and gigabit.

This makes the Pi interesting again as general purpose kit for all sorts of things.  Before it was rather limited for anything too real.   CPU was slow and RAM, yeah, limiting.

Did someone actually buy from Element in the US?  What was your final price for one shipped?

Is February 16th first stock release or did vendors already have supply and exhaust such?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well, count me as impressed.  About time :)  Was considering other alternatives to the Pi.   All it needs now is a real drive interface and gigabit.

This makes the Pi interesting again as general purpose kit for all sorts of things.  Before it was rather limited for anything too real.   CPU was slow and RAM, yeah, limiting.

Did someone actually buy from Element in the US?  What was your final price for one shipped?

Is February 16th first stock release or did vendors already have supply and exhaust such?
I guess they ran out and now are accepting preorders for their stock coming in on February 16th (when I first saw, they had 250 units in stock).  So 2,700 units will be coming in on February 16th and they're expected to get another shipment by March 16th.  

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Wow, it literally took me over 30 minutes to place a freaking order on element14's website (Newark.com). Both websites are slow as hell, so slow that my login would timeout if I tried to add anything else to the shopping cart and checkout. I'm guessing they are running their sites off a model B...  :rolleyes: Worst online shopping experience of my life, so much so that I'd be willing to spend double the price elsewhere (even if shipping takes 1-2 months, I wouldn't care) before I ever use that site again.

souen

The timing ... I just ordered an ODROID-C1 yesterday. Nice to see the RAM upgrade though.

Definitely interested to hear feedback once the first round of orders arrive. :) A bit tempted to get one for colo.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
The timing ... I just ordered an ODROID-C1 yesterday. Nice to see the RAM upgrade though.

Definitely interested to hear feedback once the first round of orders arrive. :) A bit tempted to get one for colo.
haha honestly those ODROID-C1 could technically be much better since they have a more powerful CPU.

However, Raspberry Pi does have a much bigger community to work with which is a major plus.  While I'd say a colocated Raspberry Pi is cool as a novelty item, I probably wouldn't use it for anything too important.  But if that's what you want then hey go for it! 

souen

@HalfEatenPie True, and lots of accessories. The ODROID makers have been steadily ironing out bugs on the C1, but the Raspberry Pi is arguably the more mature product. If I hadn't known about the C1 I would've jumped on this instantly, either one would make a nice upgrade to the my old RPi B (which has taken my occasional misuse pretty well. :p )

Yeah, it'll probably be for a blog and temporary setups that I want to keep separate. The collector in me says I should keep them all at home though.

amuck-landowner