amuck-landowner

Server management system

Pmadd

Just something to add, its tricky to install this on Debian but it's a lot easier on Ubuntu.

Novacha

Content Contributer
I am getting an error with PIP on Debian Wheezy. Anyone have any ideas?

I got it. I needed python-dev.
As of right now, it seems the automatic installer only works on Ubuntu. It should have installed python-dev for you. Would you be able to show me the error, so that I can apply a fix?

Someone downloaded this and have it up and running?

Anyone have install steps to share for this?
The install docs are on the documentation page. Right now there seem to be some issues with Debian, so the automatic installer is only working on Ubuntu. If you send me a PM, I am more than happy to guide you through a manual setup (the documentation for that is not quite written yet).

Novacha

Content Contributer
Just something to add, its tricky to install this on Debian but it's a lot easier on Ubuntu.
On Ubuntu right now, it should be basically a 1-click install. I am still looking into issues with a Debian install (I might reinstall a dev VPS to Debian and go from there).

clarity

I'll try to find that error again. All I did was create a blank VPS with Debian 7, apr-get install python-2.7 python-pip git. I did a git clone as instructed and then ran the pip command to install fabric. That is as far as I got before I got another error.

I am going to try on Ubuntu.

365Networks

By the way, if you are installing the fabric pip package, you will need python2.7-dev, gcc, and some other packages you can easily get from apt-get

Novacha

Content Contributer
I'll try to find that error again. All I did was create a blank VPS with Debian 7, apr-get install python-2.7 python-pip git. I did a git clone as instructed and then ran the pip command to install fabric. That is as far as I got before I got another error.

I am going to try on Ubuntu.
You should do the deploy from your local machine. The way it works is that you clone the repo to your computer, enter in the details to your server and let it do all the installation for you (packages, configuration files, etc.). 

By the way, if you are installing the fabric pip package, you will need python2.7-dev, gcc, and some other packages you can easily get from apt-get
If you do the install from your local machine (which should have the python packages installed) this setup will install everything that is needed to run the site.

clarity

I think that I figured that out now. You still have to install mysql though correct?

Also, what is the default username and password? A select on the users table shows a user named admin, but I don't know the password. This is not what is currently listed on the installation instruction site.

Edit:

The password is: pass. I setup a new user and then deleted the admin account, and I can't login anymore. Oops!

I am getting stuck at http://example.com/admin. I can't login there at all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Novacha

Content Contributer
I think that I figured that out now. You still have to install mysql though correct?

Also, what is the default username and password? A select on the users table shows a user named admin, but I don't know the password. This is not what is currently listed on the installation instruction site.
Yes you have to install a MySQL server if don't have one already (and create the database). It will install all the packages to be able to connect to that server though.

The default user is admin and the password is pass. I will post a fix to the documentation.

Edit:

The documentation is now fixed!

Novacha

Content Contributer
@Novacha Thanks for the information. Can you answer my edit?
The new user you created was probably not a superuser. The default permission level for a user is without any admin access. You need to update the field with a SQL query:

UPDATE `auth_user` SET is_staff=1, is_superuser=1 WHERE username='YOUR_USERNAME';
Edit:

If anyone else wants to create a new user make sure the staff and superuser checkboxes are checked on the new user page.

Novacha

Content Contributer
So, does anyone have any feature requests, after they have used it for a bit? I am planning on doing a UI update sometime in the future.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Nicely done! I'm assuming servers can also be manually added if they aren't SolusVM based? This could actually be useful for dedicated servers as well.

Novacha

Content Contributer
Nicely done! I'm assuming servers can also be manually added if they aren't SolusVM based? This could actually be useful for dedicated servers as well.
Yep. This was actually developed initially without SolusVM support. That came in later and is entirely optional. This will work with dedicated servers as well since it just pings the IP address.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Yep. This was actually developed initially without SolusVM support. That came in later and is entirely optional. This will work with dedicated servers as well since it just pings the IP address.
Awesome, thanks!

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
;) I was reading this on my phone and was like - I have to get on my computer to say how awesome this is!

This looks like a great project, even with the fact that many providers are closing off SolusVM in one way or another.

Another option could maybe be a small lightweight python agent running on a single port with a .sh script to install it - simple, easy, not relying on other services.

Can't wait to try it out.

Novacha

Content Contributer
;) I was reading this on my phone and was like - I have to get on my computer to say how awesome this is!

This looks like a great project, even with the fact that many providers are closing off SolusVM in one way or another.

Another option could maybe be a small lightweight python agent running on a single port with a .sh script to install it - simple, easy, not relying on other services.

Can't wait to try it out.
I can see why a lot of providers would be closing off SolusVM. If the application is in any state like the one their API is in (appalling) then it mustn't be that great (I am talking from an administration point of view). Plus there are all those pesky security issues..

I am not quite sure what you mean with the python agent. Are you looking for something that relays the server's details or that determines if the server is up or down (via handshaking over the port)?

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
I can see why a lot of providers would be closing off SolusVM. If the application is in any state like the one their API is in (appalling) then it mustn't be that great (I am talking from an administration point of view). Plus there are all those pesky security issues..

I am not quite sure what you mean with the python agent. Are you looking for something that relays the server's details or that determines if the server is up or down (via handshaking over the port)?
Thanks for the reply

If youve ever used something like GFI RemoteManagement or Kaseya or Bomgar - all for Microsoft products. Its basically the same thing.

What you do is you install a small program on your server that gathers data on the local machine and sends it to the server with the control panel on it.

Monitored metrics:

HDD

CPU

Memory

Network

Packets dropped

As well as controlled from a remote panel:

Copying files.

Running commands.

Rebooting.

The agent would act like a packager that collects all the local statistics send it elsewhere to be collected. But it can also receive commands and execute them.

I've not seen anything particularly like this in the Linux world. 

It would obviously need to be very secure as well as light weight,

Novacha

Content Contributer
Thanks for the reply

If youve ever used something like GFI RemoteManagement or Kaseya or Bomgar - all for Microsoft products. Its basically the same thing.

What you do is you install a small program on your server that gathers data on the local machine and sends it to the server with the control panel on it.

Monitored metrics:

HDD

CPU

Memory

Network

Packets dropped

As well as controlled from a remote panel:

Copying files.

Running commands.

Rebooting.

The agent would act like a packager that collects all the local statistics send it elsewhere to be collected. But it can also receive commands and execute them.

I've not seen anything particularly like this in the Linux world. 

It would obviously need to be very secure as well as light weight,
That could be possible. I will see what I can do!

billingspc

Thanks. This project looks very cool. I setup a vps to test out. However during the install running into an error. 

/server_listing# fab make_deploy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/fab", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2672, in <module>
    working_set.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 654, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 552, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pycrypto>=2.1,!=2.4
From what I can make out is pycrypto is the wrong version? Sorry have not done much with python.  I am looking at upgrading this version.

Thanks!

amuck-landowner