amuck-landowner

Sharing connection from Windows to Linux

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've got a Windows PC that I literally only use for Netflix. That's it. Well, today my USB wifi adapter for my Linux workstation decided to die, and the wireless device I use for my Windows PC, while it works on my linux desktop, drops the connection from time to time and is too unreliable, especially for work.

Lightbulb comes on in my mind, "Oh, I'll just share the Windows connection with my Linux desktop!"

Did I mention that I absolutely get frustrated everytime I have to use Windows? :)

So, here's my setup and how I connect to the net:

I've got a relative next door and with his permission we share a internet connection. Everything is wireless. I don't download or play games, at most I'll stream Netflix in the off hours and the arrangement works quite nice. I do not have direct access to anything.

I've got this Windows 7 PC here, it only exists because I got a good deal on it and the monitor that it came with is far better than my ancient box TV. Buying this instead of a Roku just so I can watch Netflix was preferable to me.

Windows PC connects to the internet next door via wifi.

I want to share that connection with my Linux desktop. I've got a ethernet cable coming from the Windows PC to a Netgear switch, and for sake of testing I then also have my wireless disabled on my linux laptop (not desktop/workstation) and am trying to network these two things together. This way I don't have to keep walking from one side of the room to the other. All the gear and laptop is on my Windows PC desk.

I've read some guides, none of which have been very clear. I only want to share my connection that I get wirelessly, to the devices in my house via ethernet. I don't want to broadcast my wireless signal and have it available to the block. The whole networking sharing setup in Windows is confusing and foreign to me.

Using nmap on laptop to discover the local devices yield zero hosts up.

Any tips and/or advice?

mojeda

1. Go to network and sharing center
  2. Select your wifi connection
  3. Click Properties
  4. Go to the sharing tab
  5. Check "Allow other network users to...."
  6. In the drop down select your ethernet port
  7. Profit???

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
  1. Go to network and sharing center
  2. Select your wifi connection
  3. Click Properties
  4. Go to the sharing tab
  5. Check "Allow other network users to...."
  6. In the drop down select your ethernet port
  7. Profit???
Step 4 doesn't exist.

0ZFqEPb.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mojeda

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Apparently not... I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I literally never use Windows so all of this is foreign to me... It "shows" the wireless connection, should it show the Ethernet device in the same panel that it shows that?

I can't ping my laptop and my laptop can't ping my Windows machine.

nunim

VPS Junkie
If I'm understanding this correctly you just want to bridge your Wireless connection to provide internet via Ethernet. 

Select both connections, right click Bridge Connections. If you're doing this on a long term basis you should look at a dedicated bridge, any DD-WRT router would work.  I actually found a TP-Link that works great for this, I only have WIFI and needed to plug-in a VOIP phone, it was about $12 locally brand new. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
If I'm understanding this correctly you just want to bridge your Wireless connection to provide internet via Ethernet. 

Select both connections, right click Bridge Connections. If you're doing this on a long term basis you should look at a dedicated bridge, any DD-WRT router would work.  I actually found a TP-Link that works great for this, I only have WIFI and needed to plug-in a VOIP phone, it was about $12 locally brand new. 
"Select both connections"

What do you mean? Can you provide a screenshot by chance?

Like I said, pretend I'm your mother and I know nothing about a computer. This Windows shit is seriously frustrating for me. :(

mojeda

Apparently not... I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I literally never use Windows so all of this is foreign to me... It "shows" the wireless connection, should it show the Ethernet device in the same panel that it shows that?

I can't ping my laptop and my laptop can't ping my Windows machine.
It should look something like: 

2014-03-17_00-23-13.png

The first one is my wireless card and the second one is my network port on my desktop.

Click the start button, right click "My Computer" and click manage. Go into Device manager and then network adapters. You should see your USB Wifi Adapter, and something "Ethernet Connection" or along those lines. If you don't see the ethernet port then it might be disabled in BIOS??? Otherwise make sure it's enabled by right clicking it and selecting Enable.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ok, I had to reinstall the ethernet card drivers and now Windows knows it exists. Connections bridged.

Still not seeing where I can 'share' the net, though.

Windows PC = 192.168.2.113

Laptop that I am testing = 192.168.2.100

Each device can ping each other. There is a netgear switch between the two.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Have you tried doing the commands in one of my previous posts? Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Just saw the edit.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>net start sharedaccess
System error 1058 has occurred.

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has n
o enabled devices associated with it.

C:\Windows\system32>

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Also, I have my Windows PC, linux laptop (wifi purposely disabled) and my linux workstation all conencted via ethernet now. Each device can ping the other.

Windows has internet, the others do not.

Just posting this for frame of reference so we all know where I am right now.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Also, I have my Windows PC, linux laptop (wifi purposely disabled) and my linux workstation all conencted via ethernet now. Each device can ping the other.

Windows has internet, the others do not.

Just posting this for frame of reference so we all know where I am right now.
Bridging the 2 devices should share the net, if they can ping each other than they should have internet.  I'm assuming they're on the same subnet since you're able to ping each other.

Are you using DHCP?  Are you using any kind of Firewall on your Windows box?

Is your switch doing any kind of processing or is truly just a switch?

Post the results of ipconfig /all

peterw

Ok, I had to reinstall the ethernet card drivers and now Windows knows it exists. Connections bridged.

Still not seeing where I can 'share' the net, though.

Windows PC = 192.168.2.113

Laptop that I am testing = 192.168.2.100

Each device can ping each other. There is a netgear switch between the two.
Did you changed the default route on the linux pc?

Code:
route add -net default gw 192.168.2.113

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Code:
C:\Users\g>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : g-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7A-2B-CB-9E-A8-29
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f8c9:cf00:dfc9:1bc8%28(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.113(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 17, 2014 2:47:53 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:47:53 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 477768651
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-A2-C8-0C-00-1E-2A-36-D6-9D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:14b0:fbff:5d2c:d8f2(Pref
erred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14b0:fbff:5d2c:d8f2%13(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{50135F2D-2808-4A59-B10C-23D10B5BFD08}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\g>

nunim

VPS Junkie
Are the other PC's getting a DHCP IP ?  I would assume so if you can ping them which would make me suspect firewall/something with the Windows box or bad DNS servers.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Windows PC can ping the gateway.

Linux PC can not ping the gateway

Linux PC can pings Windows PC

Windows PC can ping Linux PC

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
scratches head... buy a new usb wifi adaptor ???  :)
The one I have works on Linux but I literally get 1/10th the speed and it drops the connection often. I work a regular job remotely and can't have an unstable internet during my shift. I'm ordering a new adapter, but for now I need to get something rigged up.

Alternatively I could perhaps bridge the connection from my Linux laptop direct to my Linux PC... but that negates the point of having the laptop as I'd have to keep it on my desk so I can connect it via ethernet to my PC... Though I'd probably have to start a new thread for that too. :)

nunim

VPS Junkie
Windows PC can ping the gateway.

Linux PC can not ping the gateway

Linux PC can pings Windows PC

Windows PC can ping Linux PC
Have you tried removing the switch and plugging the Linux PC directly into the Winblows one?  It's unlikely that it's the problem but lowering the number of variables involved is always useful. 

amuck-landowner