amuck-landowner

Silk Road raided by the FBI

nunim

VPS Junkie
BTC sure has some wild fluctuations, it's a shame SR is gone but I guess it was only a matter of time.  The article is interesting, paying someone to kill someone via BTC?  That's got to be a new one even for the FBI. Although this guy wasn't perfect about covering his tracks it still shows if they want you they're going to get you no matter how hard you try. I feel like a lot of these charges would be hard to prove without hard physical evidence but I'm sure he's going to jail for awhile.

So now the well educated, well funded junkies will have to go back to the streets in order to cop, the government managed to put the violence and crime back into illegal drugs, a great victory :) Moral of the story is that if you want drugs buy them on the streets with cash.

He must have made quite a bit of money if he was willing to pay $150k for a hit on someone.  That's the problem with internet hitmen, it never works out... Stick to your local mafioso if you want the job done right!

They didn't really say how they were able to access the server and I don't really understand how the guy who was trying to blackmail him got his information either..

Last edited by a moderator:

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
What a marvellous week first Santrex now Silkroad.

I wonder what's next for the darker side.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
And now I have this overwhelming urge to listen to Bobby Fuller.
Nice.  The guitar in that song is really hot.

It's really hard to keep things secret when you have a large number of people involved, not all of whom are security-conscious.  And when your adversary has virtually unlimited resources and is highly motivated.

As is so often the case...it's not the technology but rather the human link.  The government said he "made a simple mistake" and there is some talk about fake IDs because caught at the border, etc.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've got a buddy who would not listen to my advice.

Do not buy from the SilkRoad, I said. It's not going to be good, I said.

That was a month or so ago. I'll be sure to forward him this. :)

nunim

VPS Junkie
I've got a buddy who would not listen to my advice.

Do not buy from the SilkRoad, I said. It's not going to be good, I said.

That was a month or so ago. I'll be sure to forward him this. :)
I would only be worried if I were a large supplier on SR, if I was just a small time buyer I wouldn't be too worried, especially if PGP was used properly.  They aren't going to track down every user and if they did the drugs would have been consumed by now. 

blergh

Verified Provider
What about that other place that allows guns & shit? Supposedly more safe than SR

nunim

VPS Junkie
Shipping guns through the mail is a bit more complicated then small amounts of drugs... I wouldn't want to sign for that package :eek:  These days all you need is a 3d printer and you can make your own, that worries me more then anything you can buy online as it'd be possible to create a gun containing virtually no metal.  While you still would need to smuggle the bullet(s) somehow, I know it would be possible since they're quite small.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Shipping guns through the mail is a bit more complicated then small amounts of drugs... I wouldn't want to sign for that package :eek:  These days all you need is a 3d printer and you can make your own, that worries me more then anything you can buy online as it'd be possible to create a gun containing virtually no metal.  While you still would need to smuggle the bullet(s) somehow, I know it would be possible since they're quite small.
Need not be worried about 3D printed guns. They're more or less good for singleuse only. Things get too hot for the plastic to be good. You can make a homemade gun much faster, and one much more effective with a longer lifespan by going to Lowes or HomeDepot and getting supplies. Or you can, y'know, just buy a real gun. Even a cheap ass HiPoint 9mm is like $200 brand new. Jeminez and SCCY make cheap ass pistols too. Nothing I'd want to protect my life with, but chances are good they'll go 'bang' when the trigger is pulled. Though quality is better than anything home made, still a higher chance of jams and other feed related failures.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Wait...

9,519,664 BTC spent? 

What is the value of one BTC?  Is that they current market of say $140 per coin? Or are these smaller increments?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
HiPoint 9mm is like $200
Try probably around $150, new.

They aren't horrible guns.  Can't beat them on price.   If you are Ohio resident they are in state firearm made and shouldn't be ATF subject since transaction within the State.   Montana was going to take the feds to court over such.  Unsure where the murk is currently.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Wait...

9,519,664 BTC spent? 

What is the value of one BTC?  Is that they current market of say $140 per coin? Or are these smaller increments?
That would be the same as $981,500,000, give or take. That's at BTC's current value.

Try probably around $150, new.

They aren't horrible guns.  Can't beat them on price.   If you are Ohio resident they are in state firearm made and shouldn't be ATF subject since transaction within the State.   Montana was going to take the feds to court over such.  Unsure where the murk is currently.
Yeah, they're made in America. Have a great lifetime warranty and I've heard great things about their replacement policy, etc. But they're still big, bulky, ugly, and not as reliable as a higher priced firearm. Although would still be 100X better than anything home made.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The fellow that was busted in this fed sting supposedly had control of $80 million in BitCoins.... Geez.

Wait until you see what an example they make out of him, if he doesn't have some bigger fish to rat on.

Seriously, 25-life is what he is facing.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The fellow that was busted in this fed sting supposedly had control of $80 million in BitCoins.... Geez.

Wait until you see what an example they make out of him, if he doesn't have some bigger fish to rat on.

Seriously, 25-life is what he is facing.
What I find interesting is he lived a modest lifestyle. Shared an apartment, paid $1,000/mo or so for rent. Didn't live like a millionaire.

Personally, after the initial questioning about the fake IDs I would have gotten out of dodge. Catch a ride to Mexico, board a flight to anywhere else.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Seemed like a bright fellow with a college education.  The lure of easy money is a road paved to hell.

kro

Verified Provider
Another one bites the dust.

Wonder what will spring up in its place, or who is second in line to take all the users.

amuck-landowner