amuck-landowner

So, let's clear the air...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I believe it's just for ease of use. I run a ton of cPanel boxes for websites. I setup a few basic servers and didn't really like them, lol. I am lazy sometimes though so I guess that explains it. I have OS templates setup with cPanel installed and configured so that I just install and go. 
I get the GVH URLs confused.  I was likely wrongly assuming that URL was Jonny's new venture and his likelihood to solely use cPanel is pretty high.  No harm or foul.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I get the GVH URLs confused.  I was likely wrongly assuming that URL was Jonny's new venture and his likelihood to solely use cPanel is pretty high.  No harm or foul.
The gvhclientarea.com site you linked to is the new GVH client area...exposing directory indexes has always been one of Jonny's hallmarks.

I believe it's just for ease of use. I run a ton of cPanel boxes for websites. I setup a few basic servers and didn't really like them, lol.
Ease of use is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  I hate the way that CPanel, Plesk, and many other panels completely take over the server and limit the flexibilility of setting up things how I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
The gvhclientarea.com site you linked to is the new GVH client area...exposing directory indexes has always been one of Jonny's hallmarks.

Ease of use is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  I hate the way that CPanel, Plesk, and many other panels completely take over the server and limit the flexibilility of setting up things how I want.
Yea, cPanel does do a few things that are semi-questionable... The panel is stable for the most part and it does have issues. Umm, one thing that comes to mind is the odd long wait for Bind updates and such. Either way, that's why a lot of people use it. Some others use it on reseller hosting accounts from other providers... ;)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I don't have any problem when providers use control panels for company sites or billing areas. I do have a problem when you install them on servers with other, less secured client websites (i.e. a shared environment).

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
I don't have any problem when providers use control panels for company sites or billing areas. I do have a problem when you install them on servers with other, less secured client websites (i.e. a shared environment).
Yes, THAT is an issue. That's something I do not do. For me, I may have a few sites on one server, all my own never another persons sites and all databases are hosted off site.

That's the best way to do it in my opinion. Otherwise, if one site gets hacked then you're SOL. All data would be accessible to the hacker including confidential client data.

Munzy

What I'm curious about as well is what do you do? Do you have a business? Are you 12? Are you still in school? Do you run a summer host? Do you wish that you could get into the hosting industry and actually make money at it? Just those few questions that I am curious about. One last one though, do you have an actual life other than spewing your crap online about another persons business that doesn't affect you at all?
My.Lord....  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Honestly seeing how you attack people on this forum whom don't 100% agree with your 30% markup practices and GVH groping is absolutely rediculous. "I have a family to take care of.." arguments, and  your wishy washy way of managment. How you act, and how you run your buisiness is of course your decision, but it is honestly rather lacking. You knew there was going to be drama when you stepped into bed with GVH Jon, whom is 17 btw,  and stole his company.

However, don't worry about how you respond to people here anyways... It's just us providers, opps what about little old me?

Kruno

Verified Provider
Yes, THAT is an issue. That's something I do not do. For me, I may have a few sites on one server, all my own never another persons sites and all databases are hosted off site.

That's the best way to do it in my opinion. Otherwise, if one site gets hacked then you're SOL. All data would be accessible to the hacker including confidential client data.
That is non-sense. Server-side security has never been easier in the age of CloudLinux and CageFS, and you are not mad to run all sites under the same php user/process. It was an issue back in the day when cPanel was coming poorly preinstalled - firstly insecure DSO build and then suPHP with symlink vulnerability. 

Even without CL / CageFS, cPanel is secure enough by default nowadays. In other words, user can't simple hop between other user directories within /home. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@Kruno the risk is whether or not the hosting provider knows what they are doing. Without control over the server, you just have to pray and hope they know what they are doing. That's why I will never host important websites on a server I don't have root access to.

gordonrp

Verified Provider
GVH is and always was a stinking pile of shit, you should have let that ship sink. From what it looks like you've paid some of johnny's bills, got some crappy/cheap clients, and now hes off selling servers again? Maybe I have some of that confused, but the best thing to do with sinking ships is to let them sink. I don't know why everybody is so obsessed with working on cheap shit all the time, instead of focusing on quality and features. Just my 0.02.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
GVH is and always was a stinking pile of shit, you should have let that ship sink. From what it looks like you've paid some of johnny's bills, got some crappy/cheap clients, and now hes off selling servers again? Maybe I have some of that confused, but the best thing to do with sinking ships is to let them sink. I don't know why everybody is so obsessed with working on cheap shit all the time, instead of focusing on quality and features. Just my 0.02.
Gordon is just after all my THANKS for the day.  

The so obsessed with working on cheap shit part....  Indeed... 

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Duke, I would like to ask for your forgiveness. As a display of good faith, I spammed all Host Nun clients past and present the other day under the guidance of Saint Augustine's writings on total depravity, cheers.

MightWeb

Verified Provider
Wow..- So now that we got all that out of the way, who's up for Nacho's?

Honestly though - most of us are part of the same industry, so it's natural to have opinions about competitors - but you could at least try to display them with a hint of self-respect. The amount of pure cussing just removes any respect for said opinion.

Just for the record, I do believe GVH is a contributing factor to what's wrong in the industry, and I do believe it should shut down operations. I saw some offer earlier today containing unlimited SSD diskspace and unlimited bandwidth at $0.49 for life.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Calling a duck, a duck....or calling GVH horseshit, well, I don't think it would diminish any legitimate opinion/s about this company that calls itself GVH. That is after all what GVH is: horseshit.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Wow..- So now that we got all that out of the way, who's up for Nacho's?

Honestly though - most of us are part of the same industry, so it's natural to have opinions about competitors - but you could at least try to display them with a hint of self-respect. The amount of pure cussing just removes any respect for said opinion.
shut up give me some nachos

amuck-landowner