amuck-landowner

Some strong words from none other than LowEndAdmin

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well it is public now that the category was changed by @wlanboy.

I just don't understand on a public forums having categories or threads that are not public.  Especially general whatever community posts.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So @Francisco, where's your horse race money placed on the date when Colocrossing took over Lowendtalk and Lowendbox?

Appears as I've been saying, February take over by Joel (given sites for free to continue the community). 

March 5th - 12th (roughly) DDoS.

Then immediately thereafter, the sites move from Linode to Colocrossing.

Traffic graphs from Alexa show a curious March or thereabout upward trajectory.

The options for CC take over are:

1. The date Joel took possession (February 2012).

2. After the DDoS (which also took down WHT) (March 2012)

3. When BuySellAds started running on LET (September - October 2012)

4  Last week prior to the hacks (May 2013).

My money, #3.
CC has said on multiple occasions that they've owned the site for upwards/over of a year.

Joel got the first month or two free when he signed on with CC to trial the service. When the CC ad showed up on the homepage was likely when it happened.

Francisco

matt[scrdspd]

SecuredSpeed
Verified Provider
Good to hear from LEA at least. I have to admit tho, it was a bit sad to read that.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
CC has said on multiple occasions that they've owned the site for upwards/over of a year.

I am not even going to try to source or find their quotes but I remembered that too.

March 2012 move to CC - May 2013 hack attacks = 14 months.  One year, two months, tops.

Now if they owned it all this time, why was "Joel" lingering and doing things?  Seems weird, unless they had a deal he operates the sites to the public so they didn't get gut punched by the community and after a set time, they cut him the big check or the rest of the money due.

Can anyone confirm when they believe they last talked to the real "Joel"? @Francisco.... ???

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Now if they owned it all this time, why was "Joel" lingering and doing things?
Figure head?

Joel was in the picture way up until January for me at least. He talked to me and would chat about threads, etc.

CC stated the date in their big WHT thread.

Francisco

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Can anyone confirm when they believe they last talked to the real "Joel"? @Francisco.... ???
Last time I ever heard from Joel was Oct 11th. about something on the frontpage of LEB.

Guess he was "proud" of what he posted back then.

vRozenSch00n

I miss LEA very much. I'm sad to see how Joel took it for granted the livelihood of the whole community.

@Francisco I'd rather see you took over LET at that time as I know from your posts in LEB/LET and other forums that you are more than capable to manage it. 

I hope this community will be able to bring back the livelihood and spirit of old LET/LEB under LEA and his original idea of a fair community forum, and I hereby thank  @MannDude for taking the initiative to build this forum together with all concerned community members.

ElliotJ

Verified Provider
Here's how I personally read it:

1. Joel was given the site on the idea that the community would be in 'good hands'; not controlled by a corporation. This may have been true initially, the monetary potential had not been truly shown, and Joel's intentions may have truly been good.
  2. Shortly afterwards, the DDoSing began, and Joel begins to feel the pressure of responsibly managing the community, and the costs involved with protecting the community from the attacks.
  3. ColoCrossing then step in to relieve Joel from the stresses, and as a bonus gives him a large payout.

The real question is whether other people would've acted similarly - Can everyone really say that they wouldn't be tempted by ColoCrossing's offer if they were in Joel's position?

That's not to say that I condone Joel's actions, primarily because of the way he handled it. If the ColoCrossing takeover was announced more publicly with reasoning, then perhaps the community would've responded more empathically. Perhaps some people would've left in protest, but their relationship with the community wouldn't have been as damaged.

Anyhow, if LowEndAdmin does get around to reading this - Thanks for building up the community, the true 'assets' of any forum.

It doesn't take much to monetize a high traffic site, but to form a solid community is much, much more difficult.

eva2000

Sad to hear that LEA is sad... this news is what sealed my decision to register here ...

that and to reserve my username :D

marrco

bring back the livelihood and spirit of old LET/LEB under LEA

That would mean to have back as active contributors many of the old members that left that place when the technical level of the contributions (and i'd say age of the users) went down too much. In the last few months i've enjoyed reading so-called providers asking for help editing a file using vi or calling themselves expert sysadmins when 19yo. That place has gone from a technical board to a place where kids can buy a cheap box to bitorrent and one-boy-providers call themselves companies and ddos each others.

That board is long time dead. Let's just hope the new ownership is able to create a better place, or that this board will grow with different rules and less drama.

gsrdgrdghd

Well it is public now that the category was changed by @wlanboy.

I just don't understand on a public forums having categories or threads that are not public.  Especially general whatever community posts.
It's probably so that threads that contain a lot of speculation/diffarmation can be moved to the Offtopic section to prevent them from being index by Google.

Anyway it's good to hear from LEA again after such a long time and see that he shares the comunity's opinion on the current state of LEB/LET.

When was the last verified account of Joel posting/saying something?

Amitz

Who ddosed LET/B that time to convince Joel to hand over the site? That would be interesting to know...

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Supposedly Constantionos, the BuyVM people might be able to tell you more since they worked on it at that time 
Constantinos hasn't acted of his own accord in quite some time, his involvement was that of a tool being used.  Good luck finding out who was pulling those strings of his, though.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Can everyone really say that they wouldn't be tempted by ColoCrossing's offer if they were in Joel's position?

I can honestly say that I would not be tempted. If you want money, the traffic alone tells you a little bit about what kind of money you could generate from it. I suppose medical emergency could be a different situation, that's about it. Even then you give people a heads up. You don't have to be silent about a sale. There's no NDA for "Hey guys I think I might have to sell the site."

JDiggity

by the way we should ask that sysadmin since he has contact with Jerimiah to have jerimiah comment on the chicago vps hack.

amuck-landowner