amuck-landowner

Something Wrong with VPSBoard

sv01

Slow but sure
Time to upgrade ?

There appears to be an error with the database.
If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

WvjusM0.png

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah, there were issues today with heavy traffic (spiders + malicious) and slowness from MySQL.  

@MannDude is on it now.  Just saw a huge increase in site responsiveness in the past 5 minutes (especially when submitting posts).

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I didn't see that error, but the site has been slow on and off. Glad to know it's being worked on, and the site does seem more responsive right now.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yeah, was reported to me from another member earlier too. The site has been painfully slow all day.

DB is on BuyVM's hosted SQL service, though I may be upgrading/ordering a larger VM from them so I can keep everything under one roof or offloading it to it's own VM so it's not in a shared environment. Fran mentioned earlier there was an abuser on the MySQL node and he was kicked, and things are much better now.

Performance is now priority #1. This site has grown so much, we're approaching 10,000 posts and about 30-35% of traffic to the site is NEW visitors from Google and elsewhere. It pains me knowing that these visitors come here and are likely turned off due to the performance. But I'm hoping we'll get better MySQL performance if we take it away from the shared environment. We also get attacked quite often with DDoS as activity here continues to rise, as there are folks out there that do not wish to see vpsBoard to succeed, or are bored, or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Chuck it behind a paid Cloudflare plan perhaps? Or get one of Ramnode's SSD VPSes so MySQL can be insanely fast?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Chuck it behind a paid Cloudflare plan perhaps? Or get one of Ramnode's SSD VPSes so MySQL can be insanely fast?
Was behind CloudFlare Pro, though it gets disabled / re-enabled off/on manually. 

I'll look at their plans but I expect best performance would be had when MySQL is in the same geographic location and on the same local network.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I totally agree. Same network and different node

Same datacenter, with a high performance VPS.

But truth be told, the biggest slow down when offloading the database is the network overhead and time between the machines.  Offloading MySQL is just plain slow.  There are reasons to do that (ex: limited RAM VPS, centralized huge MySQL server, "security", etc.).  Most of the reasons aren't very good reasons.  If you have a central SAN/NAS or some heavy duty compliance/audit/security/etc. then isolating MySQL can happen to comply.  But it always diminishes performance in a big way.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The slowness with vpsBoard is almost solely two war factions:

1. Malicious traffic

2. Shared MySQL

If the site after resolving those continues to load slow, I'd like to hear about it.   I'll get a CDN in place for the images/static then :)

@MannDude is also getting smacked pretty good by Google's spider too.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Have you tried enabling CloudFlare's Rocket Loader? It might give some more performance boost.
Just re-enabled it. Not all performance settings are selected because it was causing issues with the board before. Let me know how the site performs for you now and if you can tell a difference.

The slowness with vpsBoard is almost solely two war factions:

1. Malicious traffic

2. Shared MySQL

If the site after resolving those continues to load slow, I'd like to hear about it.   I'll get a CDN in place for the images/static then :)

@MannDude is also getting smacked pretty good by Google's spider too.
A CDN that wasn't as glitchy as CloudFlare would help quite a bit too.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
A CDN that wasn't as glitchy as CloudFlare would help quite a bit too.

MaxCDN I highly recommend.   $39 for 1TB good to use for a years time.  Setup is idiot proof and quick.

BTW: vpsBoard seems as fast and responsive as ever.  So something is going right :)

vanarp

@MannDude, I do not find any performances problems today. It works like a charm!

MaxCDN I highly recommend.   $39 for 1TB good to use for a years time.  Setup is idiot proof and quick.
+1 for MaxCDN. I find CDN.NET is interesting too. They have more pops and usage charges are based on location. They give $15 free credit too.

Unless there is a plugin to use CDN with IPB, it might require to edit multiple files to make use of it.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
I've been seeing plenty of issues with slowness over past few weeks.

Lets hope it stops :)

Is there need for external SQL? it's a pretty small database i don't see the need for it :p

Kenshin

Verified Provider
Loads much faster today, finally don't need to keep refreshing.

I don't see a CDN solving the main problem, which is the page loading rather than element loading (at least from my end). I've been getting all the unreachable/not loading errors since VPSBoard started.

Would it be too expensive to simply use Cloudflare to completely protect the site ($200/m?) competely + a dedicated server, or in a larger VPS/dedicated server that has DDOS protection? For LEB/LET I can see the lowend part of things, but VPSBoard doesn't need to be tied to the lowend spectrum at least when dealing with the traffic growth.

Sell some ads, get these paid for, the traffic should grow by itself to make up for the investment. It's a major put-off when visitors (like self) have problems moving around the forums.

amuck-landowner