amuck-landowner

SSL for VPSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

I think it already loads slow enough, no need to cripple the site for me. If SSL is required then I guess I can always RSS the site but that's not an ideal solution.
There's no reason for it to be slow.  People use gmail all day long, it's ssl-only, has N million users, and it's at least usably fast.  If this site is slow then it's downloading too much JS bloatware and other crap, and should stop. For example, I see it's trying to inline a bunch of gravatars.  I adblocked gravatar.com years ago, and that probably helps the speed, though I did it for privacy reasons.

fisle

@KuJoe

In my opinion SSL-only should be default everywhere (with spdy, please?) and you (and everyone else using Comcast) should tell this to Comcast, or switch providers.

Just because ony stupid tyranny (Comcast) is trying to hold into it's archaic ways doesn't mean the others shouldn't move forward. If you are forced to use Comcast, I feel sorry for you. Throttling encrypted data should be illegal.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@KuJoe

In my opinion SSL-only should be default everywhere (with spdy, please?) and you (and everyone else using Comcast) should tell this to Comcast, or switch providers.

Just because ony stupid tyranny (Comcast) is trying to hold into it's archaic ways doesn't mean the others shouldn't move forward. If you are forced to use Comcast, I feel sorry for you. Throttling encrypted data should be illegal.
While I appreciate you feeling sorry for me, I don't see why SSL should be forced when it's extremely simple to offer both non-SSL and SSL on the same webserver. Heck, I'll even settle for having to use another domain name or subdomain if that's a good compromise for everyone. I enjoy vpsBoard a lot, but not enough to deal with the same load times I experience with GMail.

Or an even better compromise would be to disable SSL on IPv6 so people with Comcast who deal with the BS can still view it fine with their native IPv6 addresses.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Stick to SSL on 443 and non-SSL on 80.... 

Someone mentioned seeing the site running Nginx.   Nope it isn't not right now at least.  What you are seeing is a reverse proxy upstream (on vpsBoard's end).

I'm 100% for the SSL *option* for the site.  I'll be using it when available.

willie

Every used Comcast?
I'm on Comcast right now, looking at vpsboard through an ssh tunnel to a socks proxy running on a vps.  SSL sites work fine through that.  I just tried looking at some ssl sites without the tunnel and they work fine that way too.  So I don't see what the problem is.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Keep the discussion/suggestions/whatever coming.

I'll look more into it this weekend when I've got time to fuss with it.

willie

Why not use a VPN or proxy? I have no problem with an SSL option as long as it's not forced because it's so much slower for me than non-SSL (Comcast throttles any traffic that is encrypted regardless of the port, my VPN speed is less than 4Mbps compared to my non-VPN speed of 20Mbps).
This sounds to me like your VPN is slowing things down.  Could you try the following:

1) Make a 50MB file on some server, and download it through your comcast connection by http

2) then transfer it again by scp or https

and post the 2 timings?  I just did this from OVH to my laptop via comcast and I got about the same speed (3.3MB/s) both times.

There was a notorious incident several years back when Comcast was caught throttling Bittorrent, but they paid out a settlement and supposedly stopped the throttling: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10420831-94.html

Maybe you are thinking of that.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
I have a few clients on Comcast that says my billing site runs slow for them, but the rest runs fast. One of the contacted Comcast and they did something and now it's the same speed as every other website... Might want to contact them and see whats up

adly

I can't seem to find anything about Comcast specifically filtering SSL/TLS. Given that HTTP2.0 is looking to be encrypted by design, much like SPDY, it would be a fairly dumb move. Might be worth contacting them as XFS_Duke advises.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Looking forward to use a SSL connection to vpsboard.

Don't see any reasons to force SSL. everyone knows how to type "https://".

Mun

Never Forget
Just ordered a half-off SSL from NameCheap...

Will install soon.
In a way it still might be a waste, from the little I know of the setup, there is still unencrypted traffic going on in the backend, which actually maybe easier to attain then getting it over the internet.

Mun

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
There's no reason for it to be slow.  People use gmail all day long, it's ssl-only, has N million users, and it's at least usably fast.  If this site is slow then it's downloading too much JS bloatware and other crap, and should stop. For example, I see it's trying to inline a bunch of gravatars.  I adblocked gravatar.com years ago, and that probably helps the speed, though I did it for privacy reasons.
I bolded what he said about SSL below.

Why not use a VPN or proxy? I have no problem with an SSL option as long as it's not forced because it's so much slower for me than non-SSL (Comcast throttles any traffic that is encrypted regardless of the port, my VPN speed is less than 4Mbps compared to my non-VPN speed of 20Mbps).
Basically, that's the issue. It's not the SSL's mechanics issues but more the ISP's limiting of SSL traffic.

Edit:

In a way it still might be a waste, from the little I know of the setup, there is still unencrypted traffic going on in the backend, which actually maybe easier to attain then getting it over the internet.

Mun
I guess my only answer to this is let's plug up one hole at a time shall we? :)

willie

I bolded what he said about SSL below.

Basically, that's the issue. It's not the SSL's mechanics issues but more the ISP's limiting of SSL traffic.
I'd like to see the evidence that Comcast is causing that, rather than the VPN causing it.  I do get higher speed than that through scp on Comcast all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner