amuck-landowner

SSL for VPSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Calm down guys. It was an honest post and he doesn't need attacked.

Yeah, I've been dragging my feet. I'm not saying I have not. I've been busy the past week or so. I was planning on some site-wide maintenance, moving it to a new east coast location. Originally was going to wait until I did that and rebuilt the entire server. But I just recently went ahead and paid my 3 month invoice with BuyVM without thinking to ask for it to be reduced to a month to accommodate a move to the east coast... so I guess I should stay where I am now.

Let me go bug Namecheap support about where the hell my verification email is :|

EDIT: Well, according to the SSL poll thread now I think I should trash my current certificate and buy a wildcard one now. I've got errands to go run so I suppose I'll check back in a few hours and see what I need to rip out of the site, what I need to put behind an SSL, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

clarity

Do you also get tired of Google sometimes having wonky DNS?  Of linux systems having the occassional bug needing patched?

This place is a community.  A forum being provided at no cost to you, for your amusement.  When you have a personal stake in things (which you don't - peter was 100% correct, don't dare assume you speak for the rest of us) and have a valid reason to demand results?  Get as cranky as you like.  Otherwise, you're just being a dick to a really nice guy that has carried this place and its troubles on his back since day one.

I speak for no-one but myself.  Cut that shit out.
Oh, look it is Big Bad Aldryic calling me names. Sounds familiar! Coming from the biggest dick on any forum I have ever seen, I take your comments as a compliment.

What an incredibly rude post.
It is not rude. It was a statement. We are allowed to make them. I am not saying anything negative about him. I am just saying that he needs to get it done. I don't think that he would argue that. No one would. This is not the first time that an SSL has been requested. It was requested here:

http://vpsboard.com/topic/1907-poll-new-forum-ideas/page-2#entry33303

My whole point here is that this site is no longer just a project. It is a money making venture. It is pulling in over $1,000/month in ad revenue. The owner of the site is personally concerned about security, and he has stated that multiple times. It seems like it is a contradicting statement to be concerned about security and tracking and not have it on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Cry some more. 

Oh, look it is Big Bad Aldryic calling me names. Sounds familiar! Coming from the biggest dick on any forum I have ever seen, I take your comments as a compliment.
It is not rude. It was a statement. We are allowed to make them.
It must be so nice to exempt yourself from double standards, no?  FFS, grow up.  "I know you are but what am I" was tiresome in grade school;  watching a grown man try it is just sad.

My whole point here is that this site is no longer just a project. It is a money making venture. It is pulling in over $1,000/month in ad revenue. The owner of the site is personally concerned about security, and he has stated that multiple times. It seems like it is a contradicting statement to be concerned about security and tracking and not have it on the site.
Again, what is your personal stake?  Exactly, nothing.  You're just bitching to hear yourself bitch at this point.  Maybe instead of pissing on the guy, give him props for keeping it running this long, and not simply selling out when he had the chance to.  I certainly don't see you offering your own time and labor to get anything done.

peterw

Again, what is your personal stake?  Exactly, nothing.  You're just bitching to hear yourself bitch at this point.  Maybe instead of pissing on the guy, give him props for keeping it running this long, and not simply selling out when he had the chance to.  I certainly don't see you offering your own time and labor to get anything done.
Totally true. There are some people spending some huge amount of time to add value to this community. Like adding quality tutorials and news we all like to read. They could, but never will, poke MannDude to do things faster.

And there are people like dclardy complaining about a free service and not adding nothing positive.

clarity

@Aldryic,

You are right that I do not have a personal stake in vpsBoard, but that does not mean that I am not allowed to make a statement about something. Just because you disagree doesn't mean that you get to automatically be right. You think that you are some kind of savior. Everything that you type is golden! Well, I am tired of that shit! You can think whatever you want, and I will think whatever I want. MannDude has already admitted that he was dragging his feet. What else is there to talk about? 

@peterw,

If I am not contributing anything, what are you doing? Tutorials? Nope. Before this thread, the only negative thing that I have said is to stop the CC threads. I guess that I am just some horrible member now.

At this point, I think that this thread should be locked. There is nothing of any value being said. MannDude is working on the SSL that many people have requested a month or so ago. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
@Aldryic,

You are right that I do not have a personal stake in vpsBoard, but that does not mean that I am not allowed to make a statement about something. Just because you disagree doesn't mean that you get to automatically be right. You think that you are some kind of savior. Everything that you type is golden! Well, I am tired of that shit! You can think whatever you want, and I will think whatever I want. MannDude has already admitted that he was dragging his feet. What else is there to talk about? 

@peterw,

If I am not contributing anything, what are you doing? Tutorials? Nope. Before this thread, the only negative thing that I have said is to stop the CC threads. I guess that I am just some horrible member now.

At this point, I think that this thread should be locked. There is nothing of any value being said. MannDude is working on the SSL that many people have requested a month or so ago. 
LOL at the name change.

Look, I'm happy to have you here. I'm happy to have your opinions. I'd rather someone tell me how it is then have someone kiss my ass and pet my hair and tell me its all okay.

As I said earlier, it'll get done when it gets done. I did want to wait until I planned bulk server maintenance / migration to make my life easier but due to the new found expressed urgency of the matter I'll do it sooner. ;)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
That name cracks me up.  So now you're resorting to throwing trantrums, too?

You are right that I do not have a personal stake in vpsBoard, but that does not mean that I am not allowed to make a statement about something.
By all means, make any statement you want.  Just don't cry about it when someone decides to point out that you're being a dick for no reason.

Aside from that drama, however, I do agree with one thing you've said.

At this point, I think that this thread should be locked. There is nothing of any value being said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner