amuck-landowner

SSL for VPSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'd like to see the evidence that Comcast is causing that, rather than the VPN causing it.  I do get higher speed than that through scp on Comcast all the time.
I can't specifically answer for him but I know my VPN network speeds when I was with Comcast was drastically slower than when I was with a competitor (granted both companies weren't good to begin with).

Windstream I'd get about 15 Mbps or so to my VPN and Comcast I'd get about 6 Mbps. Granted there are many factors involved but it's simply from an observational standpoint and I did move a few blocks away. Standard network (non-SSL) was noticeably much faster for Comcast.

This is from my own experience, but if you feel differently then hey that's you.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

Windstream I'd get about 15 Mbps or so to my VPN and Comcast I'd get about 6 Mbps. Granted there are many factors involved but it's simply from an observational standpoint and I did move a few blocks away. Standard network (non-SSL) was noticeably much faster for Comcast.
The most important experiment imho is transferring the same file from the same origin to the same destination, once with encryption and once without it.  It should ideally be a compressed file (mp3/mp4 is fine) so there's no illusory speedup from some gzipping proxy someplace.  I notice that vpsboard doesn't seem to use gzip transfer encoding.  That would burn more cpu on the server side, but could speed things up a bit for users, if the cpu cycles are available.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Comcast customer here with no problems with SSL slowdowns. Not sure what you're all going on about. But would love to see this forced sitewide.

clarity

How hard is it to get this done? It is only a few lines of config work, and most people have already provided configuration examples.

If the users are asking for it, it would seem like something that should be pretty high on the get done list .

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
How hard is it to get this done? It is only a few lines of config work, and most people have already provided configuration examples.

If the users are asking for it, it would seem like something that should be pretty high on the get done list .
I work a fulltime job. I'm on break now. NameCheap still hasn't sent me the damn email yet and I've resent it at least 4 times.

We all survived since March without one. I'll get to it when I get to it. :)

clarity

I work a fulltime job. I'm on break now. NameCheap still hasn't sent me the damn email yet and I've resent it at least 4 times.

We all survived since March without one. I'll get to it when I get to it. :)
Wow. That is a pretty crappy attitude. Since this site is nothing without the users, you should be a little nicer.

If you would keep us updated, we wouldn't have to keep asking.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
You had multiple people offer a free SSL, why would you have to buy it yourself? I thought this was a community? You know, communities help eachother out... I don't know if I was one of the first or the first to offer a SSL for free, but... I as well as many others here wouldn't of wanted any special treatment or anything like that to provide it and no special thanks or anything like that... I understand you want to do this by yourself without any other providers help, but if I'm not mistaken, aren't the VPS servers hosted with some providers of this forum?

I'm not mad, just don't understand why the long wait or why you feel the need to pay for it yourself... You don't even have to respond... I'm just upset about other things at the moment... I love this site...

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Apologies, it just didn't seem super urgent to me for a forum.

I'll start a poll and see if you guys want it forced site wide, want it as an option, or what.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
You had multiple people offer a free SSL, why would you have to buy it yourself? I thought this was a community? You know, communities help eachother out... I don't know if I was one of the first or the first to offer a SSL for free, but... I as well as many others here wouldn't of wanted any special treatment or anything like that to provide it and no special thanks or anything like that... I understand you want to do this by yourself without any other providers help, but if I'm not mistaken, aren't the VPS servers hosted with some providers of this forum?

I'm not mad, just don't understand why the long wait or why you feel the need to pay for it yourself... You don't even have to respond... I'm just upset about other things at the moment... I love this site...
I think it comes down to 'owing' people. LEA had that issue and was always forced to fully disclose things about LET.

If he got it for $7 or something then I don't see it being a huge issue.

At least he's reinvesting the money that ads pay?

Francisco

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
True... I for one don't feel that anything I've ever done for another provider or person is them owing me... I do it because I want to... lol... It's whatever in my opinion... It is what it is... Free is generally better than paying for it... ;)

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Wow. That is a pretty crappy attitude. Since this site is nothing without the users, you should be a little nicer.

If you would keep us updated, we wouldn't have to keep asking.
"Wow. That is a pretty crappy attitude. Since this site is nothing without the MannDude, you should be a little nicer."

See what I did there?

clarity

"Wow. That is a pretty crappy attitude. Since this site is nothing without the MannDude, you should be a little nicer."

See what I did there?
You gave all the power to a site owner? I would normally agree with you, but a forum is completely the opposite. If we all leave tomorrow, the site is nothing.

I thought is reply was kind of jerky.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
You gave all the power to a site owner? I would normally agree with you, but a forum is completely the opposite. If we all leave tomorrow, the site is nothing.

I thought is reply was kind of jerky.
 "When the pot calls the kettle black... the kettle is still black".

How about just calm down.  You were a bit harsh with criticism, he made a joke, you seemed to take it personally.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Do you also get tired of Google sometimes having wonky DNS?  Of linux systems having the occassional bug needing patched?

This place is a community.  A forum being provided at no cost to you, for your amusement.  When you have a personal stake in things (which you don't - peter was 100% correct, don't dare assume you speak for the rest of us) and have a valid reason to demand results?  Get as cranky as you like.  Otherwise, you're just being a dick to a really nice guy that has carried this place and its troubles on his back since day one.

I speak for no-one but myself.  Cut that shit out.

lbft

What an incredibly rude post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner