amuck-landowner

Stallion 2 - pictures and daily updates :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So I need some feedback.

Right now I'm plotting out how to handle the 'mounting' feature but I've hit a snag.

As of right now, someone could max out their diskspace with whatever, create a snapshot, then run a reinstall. They could then 'mount' the old snapshot and have 2x the diskspace. While it sounds like an insane idea, some users can be very cheap :p

So my proposal is to add a timer and or job lock to mounting. Once you mount the FS your VPS will be marked as busy until either the job finishes automatically after XY minutes/hours or you click 'unmount backup'.

Personally, I'm in favour and I'll explain why. Due to how we're 'mounting' the backups into a VPS, resetting/reinstalling/etc will make the mount drop anyway. If you're pulling backups/etc, then you wouldn't want someone else (or even just yourself) tampering inside stallion.

Granted, there will be a catch that will automatically clear the 'mount' flag if you issue a restart from inside your VPS anyways.

Right now I'm figuring 4 hours as the maximum mount time to be a reasonable amount. If you can't pull your backups within that amount of time then you should probably restore the whole damn thing anyway.

Feedback?

Francisco

telephone

Right now I'm figuring 4 hours as the maximum mount time to be a reasonable amount. If you can't pull your backups within that amount of time then you should probably restore the whole damn thing anyway.

Feedback?

How about just doing what SolusVM does for their 'Serial Console':

- Limited to one active session per VPS

- Drop-down list with available 'mounting' time blocks: 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours (maximum)

- User has the option to unmount early (cancel/finished button)

- At the appointed time limit, forcefully unmount

Other than that, I'd add a hard limit to the number of hours per day a backup can be mounted (per VPS):

- Backups can only be mounted for 12 hours a day (use DB row to keep track)

- This will prevent users from continuously mounting backups via a bot 

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Well, the thing with the unmounting is that if mount doesn't happen cleanly, it'll force power off the VPS to make sure it gets handled.

I was also thinking that the path we mount it to be partially randomized, that way you can't easily automate it.

We'd make a folder in /.stallion-3412edasdadasd or what have you and mount there. The folder would be different every time, that way there's no chance of overlapping with a users already existing folders and limits how easily a user can work around that. Granted, a bind mount would do it but that's still a lot of jiggering around to save a few dollars.

Francisco

fixidixi

Could you integrate a translator (Google, Microsoft, etc..) into the support panel? 

Google is $20 for the API and Microsoft is free for up to 2M Words.
To be honest I'm really i happy that there is still one place where i dont have to adblock that crappy google translate..

update: to be on the positive side: or there should be an option to turn it permanently on/off for a client :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Since we've been talking about the anycast/floating stuff getting integrated soon, I figured i'd necro this thread and include some early screenshots to the changes we're making to the IP Addresses interface.

wMOxrGs.png

As you can see, we've moved the 'reverse dns' link and put it into the sub menu. We had way too many people that didn't really 'get' the way we had it setup so it was best to simply redo it. I might get rid of the caret on the drop down menu, not sure yet.

On each IP you'll notice we include the hostname of the VPS that has that IP floating, just to make it a bit easier for the users to know where IP addresses are coming from.

ANYCAST IP's are always marked as floating/high availability just to make our lives easier with binding and such. With that being said, every OpeNVZ VPS, no matter the plan, will be getting an 'ha0' interface inside their service that they will push HA addresses over. KVM's won't need this, instead they'll be able to bind to the appropriate interface (eth0 for public, eth1 for internal).

I was originally wanting to live AJAX the add/delete option for IP's and such, but due to the delay OpenVZ can inflict on binding/unbinding large amounts of IP's, I felt it would feel a lot quicker if we just kept going with the 'save changes' way.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I personally would really enjoy having the IP RAWR.RAWR.RAWR.  Can I put in a request for that?

Joking aside, could you clarify the hostname and the IPs?  I Don't see that on the screenshot or maybe I overlooked it?  

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I personally would really enjoy having the IP RAWR.RAWR.RAWR.  Can I put in a request for that?

Joking aside, could you clarify the hostname and the IPs?  I Don't see that on the screenshot or maybe I overlooked it?
I blanked out the IP address ;)

I'll take a new screenshot and just firebug in a random IP address.

Francisco

amuck-landowner