amuck-landowner

Stallion 2 - pictures and daily updates :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Since we're into the beta testing stage of the anycast/floating IP controls, I wanted to show how we've changed up the flow of the page. It isn't a complete overhaul, but it addresses some of the usability issues we had.

To start:

1UCEVzt.png

The new default page is fairly straight forward. A new table is dumped at the bottom of each section to handle floating or anycast IP's. For the sake of making my life easier, anycast IP's are always floating/in failover mode. I'll most likely add a collapse option to the right side of each table in the off chance a user has a lot of IP's.

zNOKR58.png

A new drop down menu has been added to all IP address types that gains/loses options, based on if the IP address is in failover mode/Anycast, is IPv6, or if the VPS we're currently managing is the owner of it. We've moved the 'edit' icon for RDNS away from the middle of the row to a drop down menu since it was simply too confusing. You can still click on the RDNS text and get the modal, though.

K1K7FBi.png

Originally we had a paragraph or so of text on this popup that explained what enabling IP failover was about, but we decided to trim it and instead we'll link off to a wiki/knowledgebase article to go into heavy detail.

adk9QAQ.png

Deleting IPV6 addresses is no longer a complete pain in the ass. Originally we had live AJAX calls happening and this caused your VPS to be applying IP address add/removal every time you add/deleted. When I originally wrote this it was fine but I never took into consideration latency for calls outside the DC.

Delete's are now a visual thing, allowing delete/undo all you want w/o delay. The actual deleting from the database/pushing updates to the VPS happen once you click 'Save Changes'.

0GD4lAo.png

'Save Changes' has also been reworked to be AJAX based w/ a little blurb of text instead of a large warning at the top of the page as well as a self submit. The self submit setup worked fine but if you somehow gunked up the data that was submitted, you'd have to wait for the page to refresh to get any sort of feedback.

That's about it :) There's a ton of backend changes that put this all together. This page gained 400 some odd lines of javascript and a ton of PHP on the backend side of things.

Any/all feedback is welcome.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
@Fran:

do you also have such shiny tools for yourselves? :)
Nope.

The page users see to manage their VPS is the same one us administrators use. There's a lot of validation & security checks in place to allow that. There is an 'admin' tab for things like upgrade/downgrade plans, add/remove IP addresses, etc.

Everything else shares the same pages. It made our lives a lot easier than having 2 sides to things since there'd be chances that something works on the backend but is broken on the frontend (happened more than once on Stallion 1).

Francisco

fixidixi

Ohh so there is one codebase to maintain :). It must have been a nice challenge to plan a proper privilege separation :).

Thanks for the intel!

Kudos on the continous upgrades!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So I'm thinking that I should add a 'Add anycast IPs' option into the panel where user can add a certain amount, to a cap, to themselves.

The system would have to do an eligibility check (VM's in every location, don't have more than $cap, etc), but I think it'd be a lot nicer for people to work with instead of having to ticket, etc.

What kind of limit would you all like to see? I was thinking 3, maybe 5 max for automatic provisioning. More available by ticket, of course.

Francisco

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Perhaps a limit increase system where you apply to get the limit raised (show eligibility)?

What do ARIN say?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Perhaps a limit increase system where you apply to get the limit raised (show eligibility)?

What do ARIN say?
Anything past a /29 IP's in a row requires a SWIP. Given IP's are assigned randomly, though, that doesn't really apply.

Francisco

catatonic

So I'm thinking that I should add a 'Add anycast IPs' option into the panel where user can add a certain amount, to a cap, to themselves.

The system would have to do an eligibility check (VM's in every location, don't have more than $cap, etc), but I think it'd be a lot nicer for people to work with instead of having to ticket, etc.

What kind of limit would you all like to see? I was thinking 3, maybe 5 max for automatic provisioning. More available by ticket, of course.

Francisco
3 would be perfect for what I'm planning - the ability to add an extra couple without of needing to raise a ticket would be nice too.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
3 would be perfect for what I'm planning - the ability to add an extra couple without of needing to raise a ticket would be nice too.
I'll go with 5 - 6 then :)

I'll be working on the popup later today/tomorrow & will post pictures of it then. It'll be a simple modal, though, nothing crazy.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
For a small update...

All the node side improvements needed to handle anycast have been completed & tested. At this point I have a bit more backend stuff to do related to security lock downs & provisioning. Fingers crossed I'd like to roll out the code either Saturday evening or Sunday.

Since some asked, we should have IPV6 Anycast supported later in the month. The code is all there, it's just that I really want a tiny vacation :p

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Night

For a small update...

All the node side improvements needed to handle anycast have been completed & tested. At this point I have a bit more backend stuff to do related to security lock downs & provisioning. Fingers crossed I'd like to roll out the code either Saturday evening or Sunday.

Since some asked, we should have IPV6 Anycast supported later in the month. The code is all there, it's just that I really want a tiny vacation :p

Francisco
Speaking of security lock downs, any plans for 2 factor authentication?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
2F Auth is already available for our billing panel - just need to throw me a ticket and I'll enable it on your account.  It is on the 'to-do' feature list for Stallion, we're just taking care of priority items first.

amuck-landowner