amuck-landowner

Stallion 2 - pictures and daily updates :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I need feedback on how people want statistic controls to work, namely when picking a different range.

Right now i'm thinking we have 3 fields:

- Date (would be a date picker kind of deal)

- Start time

- End time

It would then load up the graphs available for your VM.

Statistics would be kept as every 5 minutes and given the setup we have planned I have no reason to be shedding any of the records. What this means is that if you want to see a certain hour from 9 months ago (assuming there is 9 months of data) you can do that.

I'd allow a max of 50 - 100 points be shown on a graph. This will allow them to look quite smooth without it slamming the crap out of RAM to generate.

Francisco

MrOwen

A date/time picker a la Google Calendar would be a pretty good implentation on picking the dates. I've used some dude's jQuery timepicker plugin before (https://github.com/jonthornton/jquery-timepicker) and it's pretty much an exact replica of Calendar's picker. I imagine you could do something like default to 24 hour period after they pick the start date/time (and even default to 12:00am right after they pick a date).

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
A date/time picker a la Google Calendar would be a pretty good implentation on picking the dates. I've used some dude's jQuery timepicker plugin before (https://github.com/jonthornton/jquery-timepicker) and it's pretty much an exact replica of Calendar's picker. I imagine you could do something like default to 24 hour period after they pick the start date/time (and even default to 12:00am right after they pick a date).
Do you think that's enough granularity then? I was thinking of maybe one of those 'select the period of time you want' where you drag and select but I didn't like how they felt nor did they suit the project.

That's a pretty nice picker, though :) Thanks for the recommendation!

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Yacking to a few people on IRC seems to bring up the idea/point that we should have a start/stop range that also includes a date. It makes sense and should be no additional effort to do :)

Francisco

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@Francisco - Looks really good. I would license it for sure if you would be willing to .... license us a copy :D

MrOwen

Do you think that's enough granularity then? I was thinking of maybe one of those 'select the period of time you want' where you drag and select but I didn't like how they felt nor did they suit the project.

Yacking to a few people on IRC seems to bring up the idea/point that we should have a start/stop range that also includes a date. It makes sense and should be no additional effort to do :)
If you were going with that plugin, they have an example of a range picker which also indicates duration while picking the second time. Unfortunately, it looks like picking a different day disables showing a duration :(

But I can imagine 15 min steps in the picker (or even half hour, unless you think there are people who would bitch about something like that) would be sufficient. Plus, I'm sure a lot of people use Google Calendar already and are used to that style picker.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
@Francisco about Stalion2,
He's correct.

Everything we go into as a company has to have everyone onboard for it or we don't bother.

When we got rid of our last 2 developers on stallion we vote that consisted of the following options:

- opensource all of stallion 2, get people involved in development

- hire an outside development team to handle it instead of individuals

- scrap the idea for the panel entirely and just fix up stallion 1

- I become the main developer and Aldryic/Anthony picked up all of ticket slack that they can

We bat around all the options and even did interviews with some development teams but in the end we simply

held back some of our projects and i've been doing the code myself.

Yes, I could make a lot of money off the panel. Everyone, including Solus, knows that if Stallion came around

with the features that are planned and I offered a conversion script? They'd be under the gun. The panel, though,

is developed with BuyVM in mind. It's developed with a mindset of how we build our locations amongst other things.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I should also add:

I'd like to help out a few companies that I really like with a license to the source, but the problem is I have no guarantee that they won't sellout and include the license in the sale. There's more than a few asshat providers that would love

to get away from solus and have already tried to buy Stallion 1's source once.

Francisco

Gallaeaho

Verified Provider
I took a quick look through your demo and I must say that I'm very excited to see the completed version, Fransisco. Even as it is right now, it is very intuitive and user friendly. I am patiently awaiting your completed version.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I took a quick look through your demo and I must say that I'm very excited to see the completed version, Fransisco. Even as it is right now, it is very intuitive and user friendly. I am patiently awaiting your completed version.
As of right now it's what the final build will look like.

@mojeda was kind enough to actually build a new front login that's mobile friendly while still keeping the feel of it. I'll likely expand on what they made and push it out this week :)

Francisco

Gallaeaho

Verified Provider
As of right now it's what the final build will look like.

@mojeda was kind enough to actually build a new front login that's mobile friendly while still keeping the feel of it. I'll likely expand on what they made and push it out this week :)

Francisco
I'm okay with this. Stallion looks quite awesome in its current state. There are still improvements to be made to it though, I reckon?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I'm okay with this. Stallion looks quite awesome in its current state. There are still improvements to be made to it though, I reckon?
Here's what I wrote on LET about it all.

Hello everyone,

TL;DR - a long read but a good look into what's on the menu

Since quite a few users wanted to see progress on how stallion has been coming along I figured I'd put together a gallery so you can see. Most of the pages are backend but there's some shots of what the front end will look like, more or less.

http://imgur.com/a/Gsr2w

We're finally making some head way on the whole project after letting go of the last dev I had handling the project. They took almost a year to handle what I figure is a 2 - 3 month project. We also recently hired a new designer as we felt the interface we had going last time wasn't flowing how we wanted it to. While the last design was fully responsive, meaning it would work on a cell phone even, it didn't flow how I wanted it to on a desktop (where the vast majority of our users will be using it).

Release features

Given how far behind we are, the initial release will be to just have all features that stallion 1 has, as well as many that need fixing (stats for instance), put into the new code base. Stallion 2 is a complete rewrite from the ground up using codeigniter for the framework with the interface being bootstrap + sexy features.

Short term new features

Within the first month of stallion 2 going up we'll have our new alerts system fully merged, informing users when they're running excessively high loads, processes they shouldn't, extremely high conntracks, nullroutes, excessive CPU, etc. This will all be displayed in a easy to use control panel.

Most of the above alerts system will only work on OpenVZ as there's no way to monitor inside a KVM w/o breaching some serious trust & privacy policies.

Longer term features

As mentioned, some of the biggest features we're bringing in is high availability settings. Floating IP's is the first one that will come in fairly early into things. This will allow users to have mulitple VM's in the same location and be able to shuffle a single IP between multiple VM's using their own heartbeat implementations. This will be supported on both OpenVZ & KVM.

By late summer/fall we expect to have full anycast IP support with personalized routing also integrated (meaning if you don't have a VM in one of our locations, you can have the requested routed by to another location of your choice, or by simply 'geographically closest').

Likely around the same time as the anycast support, we'll integrate hosted loadbalancers. This will allow users that don't want to run their own HA setup to use an extremely affordable (either a couple bucks a month or even free) hosted load balancer where it'll redirect traffic to the VM's of your choice. I'll likely do something where HTTP traffic will be balanced for free but anything else will require your own dedicated IP bound to the balancer.

BuyVM+, currently being hosted through cPanel, will be merged fully into stallion as well. Users will be able to control their databases fully as well as an unmetered amount of DNS records. We'll likely work out proper master/slave support for DNS zones so users can merge BuyVM+ into their current platforms.

We'll also be moving away from WHMCS and building our own billing & support systems right into stallion. While WHMCS works well and Aldryic knows the hook system quite well, he's finding he's having to write more and more hooks just to get it to handle fraud/validation how he wants. At this point it'd actually be less work for him to just write his own systems as modules in stallion 2.

Closing remarks & timelines

I fully expect to be in public beta testing of everything by the end of this month or early next month. I'm handling all the development at this point with Aldryic stepping in for anything that related to billing API's. He'll be handling most/all of the new billing system once we get around to that (later this year).

There are many features I've not mentioned above, but those I'll keep quiet since they're a lot easier to copy than the ones I did mention ;) No need to give competitors ideas.

Thank you everyone for your interest,

Francisco
So yes, lots of fun features on the way post launch

:)

amuck-landowner