amuck-landowner

Stripe, get a clue. Your chargeback system sucks

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Oh ok. I got confused when I read your post and even did a Ctrl + F to search his post for the word Paypal because I thought I was losing my mind. :)
No it was all me. I really shouldn't try responding to things before I have coffee.

john

Verified Provider
Curious. When you say Paypal, I assume it was a Credit Card charge through Paypal, and not a direct Paypal Payment?
Yes, a credit card payment through PayPal. We have had credit card chargebacks at PayPal in the past also and lost those, hence leading me to feel like PayPal doesn't fight chargebacks. 

tragic

Verified Provider
Yes, a credit card payment through PayPal. We have had credit card chargebacks at PayPal in the past also and lost those, hence leading me to feel like PayPal doesn't fight chargebacks. 
We had one of these in the past. I called up PayPal and they pretty much told me "We can't do anything about Credit Cards claiming fraud". Needless to say, it sucks and it's a pain to hear.

qps

Verified Provider
Yeah, credit card chargeback through PayPal is pretty much a guaranteed lose.  PayPal doesn't understand how to dispute anything other than physical goods transactions.

Ok , so Stripe.com - what is going on here?

We have used Paypal for 5 years , not a single dime lost in disputed charges etc. We have Stripe.com for a significantly shorter time and within weeks of using them we receive "Disputes" for goods shipped with tracking. Then it was ok , and now recently disputes have arrived again.

When Stripe email us about a "DISPUTE" - we respond with tracking details , at which point they take back all of the money + $25 dispute fee , and they keep all of the fees also?

At this point it's a waiting game and we're told that our payment being returned to us is dependent UPON THE CARDHOLDER'S BANK?

Excuse me if i'm wrong here , but surely the CARDHOLDER'S BANK is always going to favour their own customer which means you'll lose out of pocket even when you've shipped the item with evidence provided etc.

We received one dispute > provided evidence of shipment delivery >> STRIPE EMAIL US "YOU HAVE LOST THIS CASE".
We received another dispute > provided evidence of shipment delivery >> STRIPE EMAIL US "YOU HAVE LOST THIS CASE".

Is Stripe.com a company to be completely avoided or am I missing something here?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Guys using Stripe currently should comment.

In past my 3rd party view is that Stripe is fond of letting fraud orders through and smacking you as seller with fees for the fraud.

Lots of guys have gone to Stripe and quickly figured out it doesn't fit their business or approach.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Stripe is great if you stay diligent. Their fraud checking is very basic if you enable the two features (check zip and check CVV) but they provide a lot more information than Paypal does so we are able to actually catch stolen credit cards whereas Paypal we just have to hope they catch them for you (we received soooooooo many stolen credit card attempts over Stripe when we got listed on LEB a few months back, luckily I could refund the payments before we got the chargebacks). If you're not willing to login and manually review each transaction in Stripe, then it's basically exactly like people paying via credit card over Paypal.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"We got listed on LEB a few months back, luckily I could refund the payments before we got the chargebacks"

--- bet you enjoyed that free random listing :)  Thanks guys, please wreck my week for peanuts.

I'll confirm the mass fraud with cards from LowEndT and LowEndB.. PayPal does well to handle the nonsense and no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
...at which point they take back all of the money + $25 dispute fee , and they keep all of the fees also?

Yikes. I was offering Stripe as a payment gateway earlier this year, for a month or three maybe. Don't remember exactly why, but I had a strange 'gut feeling' about it after spending some time mucking around with the API. Stopped offering it shortly after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Licensecart

Ok , so Stripe.com - what is going on here?

We have used Paypal for 5 years , not a single dime lost in disputed charges etc. We have Stripe.com for a significantly shorter time and within weeks of using them we receive "Disputes" for goods shipped with tracking. Then it was ok , and now recently disputes have arrived again.

When Stripe email us about a "DISPUTE" - we respond with tracking details , at which point they take back all of the money + $25 dispute fee , and they keep all of the fees also?

At this point it's a waiting game and we're told that our payment being returned to us is dependent UPON THE CARDHOLDER'S BANK?

Excuse me if i'm wrong here , but surely the CARDHOLDER'S BANK is always going to favour their own customer which means you'll lose out of pocket even when you've shipped the item with evidence provided etc.

We received one dispute > provided evidence of shipment delivery >> STRIPE EMAIL US "YOU HAVE LOST THIS CASE".
We received another dispute > provided evidence of shipment delivery >> STRIPE EMAIL US "YOU HAVE LOST THIS CASE".

Is Stripe.com a company to be completely avoided or am I missing something here?

You can't blame Stripe for your lack of fraud checking, and it also depends how many payments you have received, as the higher number of payments - fraud ones = less likely to get in trouble, you can dispute the chargeback and you can win, the banks aren't stupid and don't always go to the client it depends if the address matches, etc and also what their excuse is.

RLT

Fraud check fraud check then do it again. Any bad feeling about the order ask for documentation. Lot's of stolen cards being passed to buy services. So yes the card owners bank will side with them since often they weren't the one to do the order.

emdad

...at which point they take back all of the money + $25 dispute fee , and they keep all of the fees also?

Yikes. I was offering Stripe as a payment gateway earlier this year, for a month or three maybe. Don't remember exactly why, but I had a strange 'gut feeling' about it after spending some time mucking around with the API. Stopped offering it shortly after that.
But you should have some way to accept CC other than via PP or only PP, Matt. Remember about 2 months ago we had to back and forth about 28 mails for me sending the payment to you? Just sayin... :)

joepie91

Well tit-for-tat... I deal nearly solely with companies that DO ACCEPT PAYPAL.
Imagine going to McDonalds or something, buying a couple hamburgers and seeing PayPal on your credit card statement instead of McDonalds.  Sorry, but it just has unprofessional written all over it.  You have a "company" who can't or won't get their own merchant account?

Please note the difference I've made several times already in this thread..."companies" that ONLY accept PayPal are different than say Amazon who ALSO accepts PayPal for client convenience.  I don't trust companies who ONLY accept PayPal or Stripe or Square or whatever as far as you can throw them.  I just don't.  Why would any legitimate business not have a real merchant account?
FYI: Not the entire world uses credit cards.

d2d4j

Hi

Size of company - economics

Each is different for company needs given its size, and it means nothing the bigger you are equals better protection. Look at current talk talk issue in uk at the moment. There's supposedly 400,000 user details including all their credit card/personal details at risk, with their overall 4 million customer details, including credit card/bank/personal details.

I bet they used their own merchant account

You could use same logic over server rental to owned, same with cars, so to me it's each to their own, and I would not be put off if stripe or Paypal payment were the only option

It's just my thoughts

Many thanks

John

HN-Matt

Verified Provider

But you should have some way to accept CC other than via PP or only PP, Matt. Remember about 2 months ago we had to back and forth about 28 mails for me sending the payment to you? Just sayin... :)
I do! No need to use PayPal with me (don't get me started on their exchange rates). Yes, I remember that. You should have told me you wanted to use a credit card, might have been able to cut those emails down a bit. I left Stripe and went elsewhere, doesn't mean I don't accept credit cards.

PureVoltage

Verified Provider
We have been very happy using Stripe, as someone else said they provide far more information about the order than PayPal ever does which makes it really simple to check for fraud. Add this with Fraud record it's pretty solid we can see when a customers credit card fails multiple times.

They have also got much better at detecting fraud orders on their own which helps for some of those who are known to them.

We had one person try over 200 credit cards all blocked :)

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
We had one person try over 200 credit cards all blocked :)
Quote said:
They have also got much better at detecting fraud orders on their own  

They should really think about implementing some transaction velocity filters.  With any half decent fraud prevention system the customer's IP would have been blocked from submitting any further transactions to the gateway long before they were able to try 200 different cards.

Quote said:
 they provide far more information about the order than PayPal ever does which makes it really simple to check for fraud
True, but they also provide far fewer fraud prevention tools than the average merchant account (Authorize.net/Cybersource has a good tool set: http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchantsolutions/merchantservices/frauddetectionsuite/ ) which means payments that should have been blocked by the payment processor get through and you have to manually check them which translates into lost productivity for your workers and higher costs for your business since time=money. Not to mention their 2.9% rates are much higher than the rates you would pay with a real merchant account.

amuck-landowner