amuck-landowner

Stripe, get a clue. Your chargeback system sucks

WSWD

Verified Provider
Well tit-for-tat... I deal nearly solely with companies that DO ACCEPT PAYPAL.
Imagine going to McDonalds or something, buying a couple hamburgers and seeing PayPal on your credit card statement instead of McDonalds.  Sorry, but it just has unprofessional written all over it.  You have a "company" who can't or won't get their own merchant account?

Please note the difference I've made several times already in this thread..."companies" that ONLY accept PayPal are different than say Amazon who ALSO accepts PayPal for client convenience.  I don't trust companies who ONLY accept PayPal or Stripe or Square or whatever as far as you can throw them.  I just don't.  Why would any legitimate business not have a real merchant account?
FYI: Not the entire world uses credit cards.
The entire world I want to deal with does.  I can count on one hand (and likely have a finger or two left over) the number of times I've purchased something from a non-US company, and all have accepted credit cards.  If a company only accepts PayPal or such, I have no desire doing business with them.  As I said, it has unprofessional written all over them, and my credit card company will go to bat for me if something goes wrong.  PayPal, etc., could care less.

d2d4j

Hi

I have just received an email this morning stating that stripe will no longer accept payments for us, stating high risk of chargebacks, BUT we have NEVER had any chargebacks with stripe.

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Thanks for signing up with Stripe.

Unfortunately, we will only be able to accept payments for *************** for a bit longer. Because of restrictions from our banking partners, Stripe can only support users with a low risk of customer disputes. After reviewing your website and account information, we've found that your business presents a higher level of risk than we're able to work with.

As noted above, your service will not end immediately--we understand that moving away from Stripe can take time. To help with the transition, we are able to provide you five additional days (beginning today) to switch to a new provider. After that, you won’t be able to accept additional charges on your account, but we will continue making transfers to your bank account until you receive all of your funds[1]. If you need more time, please let us know and we will try our best to work with your schedule.

We're sorry that we can't offer you ongoing service and wish you the best of luck with your business

MightWeb-Greg

Verified Provider
This post is interesting because I was thinking about going with stripe. It seems a lot of providers offer it along with PayPal. Going to rethink this as it doesn't seem efficient should there be issues.

joepie91

Imagine going to McDonalds or something, buying a couple hamburgers and seeing PayPal on your credit card statement instead of McDonalds.  Sorry, but it just has unprofessional written all over it.  You have a "company" who can't or won't get their own merchant account?

Please note the difference I've made several times already in this thread..."companies" that ONLY accept PayPal are different than say Amazon who ALSO accepts PayPal for client convenience.  I don't trust companies who ONLY accept PayPal or Stripe or Square or whatever as far as you can throw them.  I just don't.  Why would any legitimate business not have a real merchant account?
The entire world I want to deal with does.  I can count on one hand (and likely have a finger or two left over) the number of times I've purchased something from a non-US company, and all have accepted credit cards.  If a company only accepts PayPal or such, I have no desire doing business with them.  As I said, it has unprofessional written all over them, and my credit card company will go to bat for me if something goes wrong.  PayPal, etc., could care less.
I think you misunderstand. In eg. Germany or the Netherlands, it can be perfectly reasonable for a company to not process CCs, and only accept SEPA transfers (and maybe PayPal as an addition). This does not make them somehow "not professional" - expectations vary by country. Credit cards are not universal.

Licensecart

Fair enough it's like me I think it's un-professional not having a modern (responsive) website design.

Licensecart

Hi I have just received an email this morning stating that stripe will no longer accept payments for us, stating high risk of chargebacks, BUT we have NEVER had any chargebacks with stripe. Many thanks John Hi John, Thanks for signing up with Stripe. Unfortunately, we will only be able to accept payments for *************** for a bit longer. Because of restrictions from our banking partners, Stripe can only support users with a low risk of customer disputes. After reviewing your website and account information, we've found that your business presents a higher level of risk than we're able to work with. As noted above, your service will not end immediately--we understand that moving away from Stripe can take time. To help with the transition, we are able to provide you five additional days (beginning today) to switch to a new provider. After that, you won’t be able to accept additional charges on your account, but we will continue making transfers to your bank account until you receive all of your funds[1]. If you need more time, please let us know and we will try our best to work with your schedule. We're sorry that we can't offer you ongoing service and wish you the best of luck with your business

Have you used another merchant and had chargebacks? They probably do a check on the name / business name to ensure you have a good record before accepting, you can ask them.

d2d4j

Hi mike

Many thanks, and no, never had any chargebacks or disputes ever.

We only accept commercial and we vett all clients who use our systems, which is why we have never had any issues over payments.

We do not do a high amount through credit/debit cards, which is why we do not have our own merchant account. Most clients pay by bacs and although we're not a large company, some of our clients are blue chip, ie in top 10 of uk top 100 companies, so we do not have to sell to general public

Many thanks

John

WSWD

Verified Provider
Fair enough it's like me I think it's un-professional not having a modern (responsive) website design.

Perhaps, but I've found that the very vast majority of people don't visit our site or place orders using a phone, so not really a big deal to me.

I think you misunderstand. In eg. Germany or the Netherlands, it can be perfectly reasonable for a company to not process CCs, and only accept SEPA transfers (and maybe PayPal as an addition). This does not make them somehow "not professional" - expectations vary by country. Credit cards are not universal.

I didn't misunderstand.  I get that not every country is big on accepting credit cards.  I'm just saying, I would never personally do business with such a company, as if something goes wrong, my options are limited as far as getting my money back.

emdad

We have been very happy using Stripe, as someone else said they provide far more information about the order than PayPal ever does which makes it really simple to check for fraud. Add this with Fraud record it's pretty solid we can see when a customers credit card fails multiple times.

They have also got much better at detecting fraud orders on their own which helps for some of those who are known to them.

We had one person try over 200 credit cards all blocked :)

Wow! 200 cards? 3 days ago my bank blocked stripe from charging my card, and I thought I may be blocked by stripe for trying 6/7 times :)

joepie91

I didn't misunderstand.  I get that not every country is big on accepting credit cards.  I'm just saying, I would never personally do business with such a company, as if something goes wrong, my options are limited as far as getting my money back.
If something goes wrong, you enforce your contract. In most of the Western world, this is a responsibility of the legal system, and not of the payment processor.

amuck-landowner