amuck-landowner

Summer 2013 - 4GB No wait... 8GB?

NodeworksIX

At this point, it's just talk/speculation.  I doubt this will solidify into a real service, but until then, I will wait until I see order links...

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Nobody mentioned it's InceptionHosting's Anthony Smith pitching this as an idea for an oversold (2x) brand.

So he probably won't be deadpooling doing this on the side.

Whoops, forgot the link: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/11974/oversold-brand-in-chicago-8gb-kvm#latest
I would like to make it VERY clear this was never ever ever as in never going to be at ColoCrossing, and the hardware will be on buydown, i.e. I am paying for the drives, raid card and Ram in advance up front 

:)

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
KVM can be oversold within SolusVM so I mean...

Very true, you can oversell KVM by 100% without customers feeling much in terms of performance hit if you do it properly, I am surprised this proposed offer has caused so much of a ripple effect to be honest, it is not hard to do really and also when you consider you can oversell OpenVZ by 6 - 10 times without customers noticing with no effort what so ever and I assure you that is what at least 50% of hosts are doing on OpenVZ. 

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
You'll run out of cores before you run out of RAM.

All it takes is a poorly configured firewall/dhcp server to spam up a syslogd and rip a full core.

Infact we're having to look at not using E3's for our KVM nodes anymore and go with a dual hex core setup.

Francisco

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider

All it takes is a poorly configured firewall/dhcp server to spam up a syslogd and rip a full core.

Infact we're having to look at not using E3's for our KVM nodes anymore and go with a dual hex core setup.

Francisco
Indeed and this would be a dual hex core + HT giving 24 logical cores over 64 VM's which will be no issue at all.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Another advantage of a dual hex-core system compared to the E3's is RAM. No more 32GB limitation. BlueVM uses Dual E5-2620's w/ 128GB RAM for KVM nodes. Quite nice.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Another advantage of a dual hex-core system compared to the E3's is RAM. No more 32GB limitation. BlueVM uses Dual E5-2620's w/ 128GB RAM for KVM nodes. Quite nice.
Indeed, I use the same for Xen nodes now, the cost is around 30% ish higher but obviously 4 x more ram.

happel

I understand providers like the E5 processors for the high ram capability, but as a customer I dislike them and tend to avoid them. 2.0ghz (seems to be the default E5 processor) vs 3.4ghz (default E3) with the same efficiency per clock is a very noticeable performance drop in many web applications.

Sonwebhost

With the economy the way it is you will see it is a buyers market, providers have to make sales to stay in business and grow, selling at cost or below cost to gain market share is a long time practice in every industry, these are temporary situations and as growth rebounds and the company sales grow it then raises prices and or diversify. So enjoy the benefits of a soft market until the rebound. 

prometeus

Verified Provider
It could be that Sal has some basic rate limits/ACL's on UDP traffic upstream or it could just be that since they don't keep stock very often that they keep the trouble makers away.
It's a matter of luck I suppose ;-)

TBH the only product with stock in the last months has been OVerZold as for it I'm using the same servers I'm buying (and stocking) for the cloud, dual E5 with 128GB of ram.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Folks might want to look around at the insane RAM low end price wars.  It's getting stupid. 4GB, 6GB... err.

Of course it's all OpenVZ.

Frankly, price is only one part of the equation.

If you can oversell, because 75% of better of customers use a small fraction of resources, then great, lower the price.  Hazard though is customers that do use resource will often buy at the deep-discounted price and you in effect will decrease your own income as they switch plans/brands.

I am a buyer, not a provider.  I tried those large RAM plans, they stunk --- on the discount offers.  Most provides offering them have no real control/knowledge of their nodes.  Reboots and outages, very common.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

Francisco
Don't you mean... sex cores?

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
There are 8GB offers here for stupid money.

The whole thing is just a bit stupid really.

amuck-landowner