amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
GOVERNING LAW

This Agreement will be governed primarily by the laws of Turkey, in addition to the laws of Illinois, where the servers and the Database resides. Any conflicts or disputes will be resolved by the courts and legal authorities of Turkey.
Turkey data protection laws: http://uk.practicallaw.com/7-520-1896#

Main points: people must be informed that their data is being collected by the 3rd party and they must give their consent (if they are under 18 then their parents must give their consent), and people whose data is collected can request the deletion of their data and/or withdraw their consent to have their data collected

The majority of providers I've seen don't inform their users that PII is transmitted to Fraud Record (spare me the "it's a hash, so there is no PII shared BS") so that is a problem (and reinforces my belief that the relationship with FraudRecord needs to be disclosed on providers' privacy policies)

Tbh, anyone who goes through that much effort to create a fake persona has some really deep-rooted mental issues.
I thought the existence of deep-rooted issues was already established http://www.webhostingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28528&d=1403586856

I've been trying to get prices set to *reasonable* levels, as well as sustainable ones.
Good luck finding anyone who is willing to pay a reasonable price for a subpar product from a company that continues to demonstrate it doesn't give a flying F about its customers.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
You don't. You can ask the mods though, I'm sure they have logs. Tbh, anyone who goes through that much effort to create a fake persona has some really deep-rooted mental issues.
Erm.... *cough*

I'll go through the logs then later I guess.  It's just that trust for anyone even remotely related to GVH is very difficult thing to do.  

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You don't. You can ask the mods though, I'm sure they have logs. Tbh, anyone who goes through that much effort to create a fake persona has some really deep-rooted mental issues.
I'll vouch that XPEric is indeed another IRL human being.

I'll say too that if Jonny actually listened to folks like Eric that he could still have drama pie and scandal cake and the intertubes would still be lit with gossip about GVH..  More importantly, more sustainable plans + more sound approaches + better support for realistic money would be better for customers and that would be good for everyone.

Cause I'll bet there have been a number of WOW GREAT PRICES I'LL BUY folks who bought downward on prices thinking A = B comparing a real company vs. GVH.  Those folks bought, got terrible service / experience.  Some large percentage of those ran away.  They aren't coming back to discount land companies possibly ever again.  They probably believe, rightly so, that cheap is well, a scam.

It's just like the multitude of CC companies that fail terribly and do lots of harm to the segment.  Rather than building a sustaining community and real economy, they play whack the pocketbook, whack the customer in the noggin and run...  Good for short term income gaps and that's about it.

This is a big piece of why I get so regularly pissed about antics by providers.  You want to open a local business serving shit on plate, swell, the locals will deal with you and failure will be real swift.  In this business though, there is none of the get the hell out of 'hood / local / spirit.

Unsure what I am going to do about all that.  But I am not going to continue to sit around and eat popcorn about it ;)

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
They probably believe, rightly so, that cheap is well, a scam.
If cheap is the sole basis of the business plan it's a losing proposition for both customers and providers, but if limited time cheap offers are used for marketing purposes then cheap can be a great bargain for dedicated and VPS customers.  Cheap is also possible and can be a winning proposition for both providers and customers in limited cases with automation/economies of scale/ownership of everything from servers to the land the datacenters sit on (Hetzner), cheap nuclear energy and favorable tax breaks (large French providers).

When you're talking about the low end caliber mega RAM VPS providers like CVPS/GVH, then cheap is not really cheap when you take the time to put a time value on the time spent opening frequent support tickets that require multiple replies, financial losses from downtime, etc.. Cheap can also be a scam when a provider lures customers in with too good to be true annual offers and then finds bullshit excuses to suspend the customers shortly after signup or doesn't provide a working product and says "no refund for you" (pointing my finger at several providers who use CC's network as examples of providers who do this on a regular basis)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
@HalfEatenPie:

I also love em :). They were my first..

..vps host ever :).
Hehe.  Great line break there.  

Yeah I ended up snagging those really cheap deals during the world cup and FIFA and all that.  Absolutely love those servers!  They're the only VPSes I have in Europe actually... 

Munzy

HAHA, im glad.

First off before I start bashing, @martin.d you have really improved, I haven't had a case in awhile where I thought you were unjustiifed.

Second, what I just did by calling someone to grow some balls and become a good administrator is prove that he is a bad administrator when he banned me. If you can't take some critiszm as an admin then you honestly do not belong as one.

Though it has been stated I am having a tantrum, I was rather pushing your buttons to prove a point. You are biased and will quickly ban anyone whom speaks out against you. CVPS should be banned on the account that they have stated they can't garuntee a reliable service for the plans they offered and will most likely need them to disappear within a year. They should also be banned because of the constant drama they dig up. If someone was using DDOS as a method to get sales you would ban them. If they were posting on hackforums you would ban them. Then why can't someone be banned for blatently ignoring US spamming laws? It is clear to me that even with a little bit of pushing you will act violently and without clear judgement.

As such I will probably not be as active on LET anymore until you get your issues straight.

much <3 as always.

p.s. You may not see it but Im trying to improve LET.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
LET is like most of the industry - in a downward spiral.  Quality spiraling down, sustainability of many companies in question, ROI not adequate to make a long term career around such, etc.

With LET's move to promote W1V_Lee to a moderator (after his extended period of professional ass kissery and saying basically who cares that CC runs a sweatshop / spam factory / take your money via our subsidiaries and fail to deliver a product (yeah talking about CVPS, 123SYS, and BlueVM here)) --- you can see if Kossen bows up and becomes a man, that his hobby career will soon come to a halt.  Lee is right behind him, knife in hand, waiting to take the perch.

As I've long said, NO PROVIDER SHOULD BE RUNNING ANY COMMUNITY RELATED TO THE INDUSTRY.

LET is fine to ban GVH for bad behavior... For mostly little teenager games and constant drama.  But LET refuses to deal with it's own corporate owned laundry.  Where customers are STOLEN from.  Hell some matters prior have outright involved CC (although they were lying back then) --- like the two servers ordered and went on for a month or two failing to deliver product (that was via HVH) and customer just wanted refunded and to move on.

It's quite sad though, cause I still see posts over there from folks who believe CVPS won't be banned from LET because they pay ad money.  Those people are such n00bs and failing to read anything prior, use search, etc.

And that Dewlance offer on LEB :)   What are folks thinking.... I guess, it is lowendbox afterall... That shitty place where a kid with an Atom calls that a node for 6 containers....  You'd find fewer clowns in a circus.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
CVPS should be banned on the account that they have stated they can't garuntee a reliable service for the plans they offered
They should be banned by both LET and PayPal because abusing PayPal's intangible items policy is a central part of their business plan: lure customers in with unsustainable annual offers, give the suckers a pile of crap, and laugh all the way to the bank knowing PayPal will always decide against the customer because it's an intangible item.

And that Dewlance offer on LEB :)   What are folks thinking.
In Dewlance's defense, he's actually a big improvement over some of the offers that have appeared on LET recently.  There have been a couple of SoYouStart RAID1 offers (SYS non-hardware support for those used servers they offer is office hours M-F with a 4 hour average ticket response time so customers could be looking at an extended downtime if anything goes wrong...like an abuse incident where OVH tosses the server into rescue mode), and then there was a provider last week whose node was an Avoton C2750 with 8GB RAM and a single 2 1/2" HDD (imagine the I/O "fun" when that node gets a few customers)

LET is like most of the industry - in a downward spiral.
The stereotypical low end oversold OVZ 2GB/$7 (which is now 3GB/$3) market peaked in the summer of 2013 and there's been a steadily increasing bloodbath since then of deadpools and acquisitions.

As such I will probably not be as active on LET anymore until you get your issues straight.
That is basically the reason I haven't posted on LET since December 2013...13 months later nothing has changed.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have to agree with Mr. DomainBop. Your reference to the avoton node is perfect example of garbage. But what got me was people were buying it.   
All I can say is this isn't the last you are going to see of nasty providers sliding/masking/hiding Atoms.

When LEB rubberstamped that shit offer, it opened the gates to every jack ass with a hair brainbrained idea to take said crap machine and call it a VPS node.

Somewhere in America, right now, someone is pulling an Avoton over on customers.

rds100

Verified Provider
Let's be fair there, the Avoton is better than L5420, and people are still pushing L5420 based nodes. Just because Intel chose the name "Atom" for the c2750 CPU doesn't make it automatically bad.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hey lots of people were early on lusting at the Avoton.  I haven't seen much traction with them / interest except those mega cheap weird dedis...

Avoton better than L5420??  Unsure about that....  The Avoton is lower power.

L5420's are quite typically dual CPU setups and CPU MARK puts that setup at 6610.

Avoton C2750 goes CPU MARK wise at 3929.

Clearly the Avoton being what, 5 years newer supports additional features and packages AES.

It's on a single 5420 chip in favor of Avoton.   Dual setup, the Avoton loses.

Who will be the first person to go launch Avoton nodes?   16GB + C2750...

rds100

Verified Provider
Yes, 2xL5420 >> Avoton > 1xL5420

For things like the 3EUR/year LowEndSpirit offers and similar it can be an OK CPU.

LowEndSpirit currently uses X3440 in Italy, X3330 in Netherlands, X3220 in UK, L5520 in USA, Slabbed inside Vultr VPS in Japan. So an Avoton wouldn't be a bad match for these.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yes, 2xL5420 >> Avoton > 1xL5420

For things like the 3EUR/year LowEndSpirit offers and similar it can be an OK CPU.

LowEndSpirit currently uses X3440 in Italy, X3330 in Netherlands, X3220 in UK, L5520 in USA, Slabbed inside Vultr VPS in Japan. So an Avoton wouldn't be a bad match for these.
Yeah Atom might work for that ;)  Considering it's buyer beware, no warranty hobby offering.

The Avotons aren't bad...   Just weirdo price on them to go buy new and all.  Part of the problem with placing them in the market.

Me, I am hoping to see more of them as very low price dedis.  Dedis you can upgrade RAM, more drives etc. as needed / as you grow / etc.

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
I was there.

I went to the basketball game next door, but I was still there.  :p 

Scenes from the Portland Counter-Protest that Drove Off the Westboro Baptist Church

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2015/01/12/scenes-from-the-portland-counter-protest-that-drove-off-the-westboro-baptist-church

1421099854-photo_2-1.jpg

1421099708-photo_1-1.jpg

amuck-landowner