amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

maounique

Last week i put in a cancellation request for my dsl service which is 25/25. So yesterday i got an email from my ISP stating that they upgraded my download to 300 mbit at no additional cost, just because this service was available in my area. This is 2 days before the service gets terminated! and Ive had this service for over 8 months.

I suppose they upgraded BECAUSE you cancelled.
I found out my current main provider here (Telekom) is an odd one. I was with Digi before and they said 1 GB but had 650mbps+ something, so I figured when they will get me the 100 mbps i will get 50 at most. I took it for an extra project because my aunt living next door wanted the telekom TV stations and the 100 mbps came free, more or less, but I found out it is actually 200 and when I asked if they can do more than 200 they said no, yet when I cancelled Digi and upgraded to 200 I actually have seriously over 500, close to what i was doing with Digi before... It is the first provider which actually delivers significantly more than advertised.

iki

Hi, my first post here.
How much do you guys think WHMCS owned branded license worth right now?
Thanks.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Todays top tip.

When you 'vagrant up' it is best to 'vagrant halt' before you shutdown your desktop, less chance of data corruption.. FFS....

WasNotWSS

This brings me to another note: If you are ever going to do a headless install-over on $CHEAPCOLO, throw OpenBSD on it. Every single time I've given the 'flush for everything, sync for everything, dear god use ext2 even' on an initial Linux install just to blow it out using QEMU and throw a BSD on it - the filesystem is so corrupt I can't even pretend to fix it.

Load OpenBSD as an interstitial, and looky-looky-there. You've wasted an hour of your life, but it works when you set -drive format=raw,file=/dev/r???c

These days, unless it has at least a half-arsed Supermicro IPMI, I won't bother. I try not to hate on iDRACs, but my god they're just as bad.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ns4xazj.jpg

A (very) temporary mounting system for my antenna. Waiting for a bucket truck to become available so I can put that baby up on a mast in it's permanent location. It's a Diamond x200a 2M/70cm antenna. Thing is a beast. I made a few contacts today from 60+ miles away which is pretty impressive for the 2M band and considering the thing is mounted almost on the ground right next to a house and a big ass barn and trees. Can't wait to see what she'll do when up in the air.

WSWD

Verified Provider
View attachment 5184

A (very) temporary mounting system for my antenna. Waiting for a bucket truck to become available so I can put that baby up on a mast in it's permanent location. It's a Diamond x200a 2M/70cm antenna. Thing is a beast. I made a few contacts today from 60+ miles away which is pretty impressive for the 2M band and considering the thing is mounted almost on the ground right next to a house and a big ass barn and trees. Can't wait to see what she'll do when up in the air.

Oh a ham, huh? I used to have a Diamond x510 up about 10 feet and in a tree (due to homeowners association restrictions). Looks like about the same height as yours. Would very easily talk over 100 miles on FM. Blew my mind! I hear the newer model (570??) is even better. Thing is definitely a beast.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh a ham, huh? I used to have a Diamond x510 up about 10 feet and in a tree (due to homeowners association restrictions). Looks like about the same height as yours. Would very easily talk over 100 miles on FM. Blew my mind! I hear the newer model (570??) is even better. Thing is definitely a beast.

Yeah, a ham. I guess the internet is too high-tech for me so I'm going old school with radios, ha. the furtherest I reached today was Lexington, KY which is just about 80 miles away as the crow flies. This is much better than my mobile rig which is just a Baofeng HT and a small dual band mag mount antenna on the top of my truck. Works well for the local repeater and early morning simplex chats that are in/out on my way to work and that's it. Can't wait to get the x200a mounted permanently though.

Today I also successfully tracked the SO-50 satellite with a hand held yagi and listened. Tried to call out a few times but the bird was too active and it was chaotic. I'll definitely try again and try other satellites too.

I need to start studying again. Tomorrow is an exam date but I'm going to skip this chance and study more and hopefully the next exam date I'll be ready to test for my General license. Only a tech license holder now. I want to do HF stuff.

maounique

Yeah, a ham. I guess the internet is too high-tech for me

Well, what is the speed these days? I remember in the mid nineties when internet was so expensive here, managed to grab some sh 10 Mbps cards and used some 75 ohm standard coax cable for tv to provide internet in my neighborhood over a modem and later rented line (4K advertised speed), when we needed to hop over a large area, a ham radio solution was offered by someone and we did some 2400 baud over it... Wi-Fi was as futuristic as back to the future back then...

WSWD

Verified Provider
I need to start studying again. Tomorrow is an exam date but I'm going to skip this chance and study more and hopefully the next exam date I'll be ready to test for my General license. Only a tech license holder now. I want to do HF stuff.

I need to get off my lazy ass and do the same. Tech. here as well.

earl

I suppose they upgraded BECAUSE you cancelled.
I found out my current main provider here (Telekom) is an odd one. I was with Digi before and they said 1 GB but had 650mbps+ something, so I figured when they will get me the 100 mbps i will get 50 at most. I took it for an extra project because my aunt living next door wanted the telekom TV stations and the 100 mbps came free, more or less, but I found out it is actually 200 and when I asked if they can do more than 200 they said no, yet when I cancelled Digi and upgraded to 200 I actually have seriously over 500, close to what i was doing with Digi before... It is the first provider which actually delivers significantly more than advertised.
Hey Mao, good to see u around.
Well their reasoning was because fibre was available in my area so they were upgrading everyone in the neighbourhood. But realistically i think its because my promotional plan was about to expire next month so the price will almost double.. Im thinking its an incentive to make you stay.

WasNotWSS

I think LEDE is my own personal Schrödinger's cat. Build works when ignored/build doesn't work when not being ignored. I really detest Ralink at this point and want to see them forced to use their own hardware and binary blobs.

I did get the last LJ4100n working today after throwing new rollers and keypad on it. How does someone have a printer that is _nearly 20 years old_ and has a page count of under 2,000?! That's less than one page every 4 days- even I print more than that.

We are adding another person down in the KH Sales Dungeon.

Oooh! FANCY urinal stalls.

amuck-landowner