amuck-landowner

The great gun debate thread.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
An armed public is the enemy of the State - or at least a speed bump in many.

There are plenty of armed European countries.  Switzerland comes to mind.   Funny their tradition of gun ownership and never having been overrun by invaders in modern times.

Serbia, the provincial kicking post of insurrection and outside interference, another place with high gun ownership.

Finland doesn't lag far behind Switzerland in per capita ownership.

In all these countries, I don't see the "high" gun violence.

In total incidents, the US has a problem with gun violence.   These acts aren't say legal or even sane people though.  Most of it is criminal activity.  Drug violence is a big chunk.  Domestic violence is a another.  This is why the US has criminal sentencing enhancements for crimes involving a firearm.  You get time for the crime plus more for the gun terror.

Folks handling firearms incorrectly?    In military setting?   Grounds for reprimand for multiple folks there.

Last edited by a moderator:

twolf

Switzerland comes to mind.   Funny their tradition of gun ownership and never having been overrun by invaders in modern times.
We only have such a high quota because military service is compulsory for men, and you are allowed to take your service weapon home with you. Officially you're not allowed to retain any ammunition though since 2007. So you can't really compare that with the United States.

twolf

You can't really speak of a prohibition. Members of the Swiss Army used to receive a small amount of ammunition to keep at home so that they could be instantly ready in case of an emergency. You were only allowed to open that ammunition pack after an official war mobilization, so the only actual use that ammunition ever saw was misuse (mostly in suicides). So the practice was discontinued, and the already distributed ammunition withdrawn.

Everybody (without criminal record) is still allowed to obtain a license and purchase/own guns. But the quota of gun ownership is very low if you don't take the army service weapons into account. Still smaller if you subtract the hunters.

Edit: Oh, and since you are required to keep guns and ammunition separate and out of reach of third parties, using them for home defense is a pretty risky proposition. The time you'd need to get the stuff out and ready...

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Issued, owned firearms without ammunition (especially a firearm you've been trained to use) actually makes a lot of sense.  Should an invasion-type scenario happen, it would be relatively simple to stage ammunition dispense points where folks could show up and be issued rounds for a weapon they already have.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Issued, owned firearms without ammunition (especially a firearm you've been trained to use) actually makes a lot of sense. Should an invasion-type scenario happen, it would be relatively simple to stage ammunition dispense points where folks could show up and be issued rounds for a weapon they already have.
Until the issuer and invader become one and the same ;)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
StarBucks was really pro-gun and gun friendly. They did the sensible thing and left it up to the local state to decide what rules they shoudl enforce, and had no company firearm policy (just like Wal-Mart).

Too bad some bored scared sheleted suburban housewives had nothing better to do after they dropped their kids off at school and in between picking them up, so they caused a ruckus. Then that ruckus was met with pro-2A folk who'd organize StarBuck appreciation days and would open carry in their stores. Leave it to some idiots who'd bring their shotguns, AR's and AK's to give most others a bad name.

StarBucks still doesn't really give a flying fuck if you carry in there. They won't ask you to leave if they see it. They're only producing a statement over it because they don't want to be in the middle of the debate, and not because the CEO is against or for any side more than the other. Just they got caught in the middle of 'mothers against being bored' (or something, I forget) and the pro-2A folk.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Mothers being bored :)  Star*ucks is one of those useless chains where suburban MILFs lounge spending the poor working fellows money all day long.  Sad what they get people to pay for a cup of joe.

Star*ucks around here are pretty empty.  Certainly corporate welfare for them to continue being opened.

I support the locals when and where I can.

If it wasn't for firearms and firepower, these mamas would be speaking Russian or Chinese, if they weren't force aborted or eradicated otherwise.

What's that saying about why Japan was never dumb enough to physically attack the US mainland?   Something like a gun behind every blade of grass ;)  Let's keep that idea alive.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What's that saying about why Japan was never dumb enough to physically attack the US mainland?   Something like a gun behind every blade of grass ;)  Let's keep them idea alive.
Maybe it has something to do with us having over 300,000,000 citizens with over 270,000,000 guns? Well, at-least the ones they know about.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
270 million guns?   Come one, we all have 2 hands.   600 million guns is the target.  Slackers.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Mothers being bored :)  Star*ucks is one of those useless chains where suburban MILFs lounge spending the poor working fellows money all day long.  Sad what they get people to pay for a cup of joe.

Star*ucks around here are pretty empty.  Certainly corporate welfare for them to continue being opened.

I support the locals when and where I can.
Around these parts, Starbucks was more or less doomed to fail, and did. Doubly so for Melbourne; we have a ludicrous number of cafes, and they're all a hell of a lot better than Starbucks.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
564015_366792003453984_1634668584_n.jpg

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Guns are illegal here :(
Boo! Where are you? I understand not everyone thinks they should be used, but even as a sport they're a blast. If you ever get the chance to go to a range to shoot at paper targets or something, go for it! Are people in your area allowed to hunt?

Well, I guess your next social topic will be about drugs :D

He changed his avatar after he posted that. ;)
This.

But I have been to Vegas more times than I can recall... Over 20 times atleast. :)

amuck-landowner