amuck-landowner

Things to consider when choosing Colocation?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Good call.  Just letting you know though, these servers don't require rails.  They're the 1/2 depth 2 U servers Fran was giving out for free.  They're the ones that simply get bolted on (or screwed on) to the rack if I recall correctly (mine simply moved maybe 30 yards at max).
Unsure how DC's handle those.  Cause they want rails normally so they can slide it out and pop the top as needed.  If hard bolted, they can't do that. 

Now folks with their own racks or cage, yeah, they are more liberal :)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Unsure how DC's handle those.  Cause they want rails normally so they can slide it out and pop the top as needed.  If hard bolted, they can't do that. 

Haha I wouldn't be surprised they'll detest working on those machines.  

I don't know how much they'd tax this though.  It's not worth paying a hundred dollars in tax for this machine.  

gordonrp

Verified Provider
Confirm how much remote hands costs will be at various times of day and on holidays. Sometimes using non hotswap servers can incur extra charges, for example a lot of providers (us included) offer courtesy hands for hot swap items (drives, psus, etc).

It seems you don't have internal ipmi/kvm, I was also going to suggest to make sure your provider provides an uplink for ipmi/kvm and that it is secured in some fashion (vpn/firewall). Personally I wouldn't ever colo a machine without ipmi/kvm, but I assume this is for non critical work loads.

Last edited by a moderator:

devonblzx

Verified Provider
If considering ColoStore, find out about them doing IP announce for clean IPs from someone else.  I've had bad / troubled IPs in that facility also.  Seems to be norm there.  ColoStore isn't Indiana, I think they backhaul everything to CHI from there.
You must have had bad luck or something recent maybe?  We used Colostore's IP addresses for ~5 years without any issues. 

As for the network.  Cogent, Internap, and Level3 are all on site.   However, Level3 and Internap backhaul all traffic to Chicago.   For Cogent, they have an actual South Bend network with links to Chicago, Toledo, and Indianapolis.   It is only 90 miles from Chicago to South Bend though, so it is only 3ms round trip between them. (Should be less but I'm not sure how the fiber is laid)

Stack

Make sure you've looked up what other people have to say about it, that it's got on-site facilities/engineers that can assist you etc.

Good luck finding a datacenter that suits your needs, I would recommend CC (http://colocrossing.com/)

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider

Yeah DC74 wont let us have anything not on rails. It can be annoying sometimes, but whatever.

Make sure you've looked up what other people have to say about it, that it's got on-site facilities/engineers that can assist you etc.

Good luck finding a datacenter that suits your needs, I would recommend CC (http://colocrossing.com/)
I'm sorry, what? Please tell me that's sarcasm.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have never had anything happen when using Colocrossing.
Ignore the IPs getting blacklisted.  Ignore the bad reputation of the network due to malicious misuse.   Ignore increase of network attacks due to the crime infested ColoCrossing network neighborhood.

They do one thing: CHEAP.  You want cheap, fine.  Fine, one of those cheap $30, now $43, next to be ??? GVH E3's....

... if you like rolling dice when they are loaded with dynamite...

Stack

Ignore the IPs getting blacklisted.  Ignore the bad reputation of the network due to malicious misuse.   Ignore increase of network attacks due to the crime infested ColoCrossing network neighborhood.

They do one thing: CHEAP.  You want cheap, fine.  Fine, one of those cheap $30, now $43, next to be ??? GVH E3's....

... if you like rolling dice when they are loaded with dynamite...
Yes, I have heard about Colocrossing enabling IP header modification which opens a massive market for hackers, however again I've never had a problem.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Thanks for the updates everyone. Still looking into this. I'm not in any real rush to proceed with this, but do appreciate the comments.

The server in question is a Dual L5420 w/ 32GB(?) (maybe 24, I forget) of RAM. Any idea on power consumption on this?

I may start emailing a few places in the coming weeks and see what sorta deal can be had.

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Thanks for the updates everyone. Still looking into this. I'm not in any real rush to proceed with this, but do appreciate the comments.

The server in question is a Dual L5420 w/ 32GB(?) (maybe 24, I forget) of RAM. Any idea on power consumption on this?

I may start emailing a few places in the coming weeks and see what sorta deal can be had.
Know model numbers? HDDs/SSDs?

lowesthost

Verified Provider
I have a supermico Dual L5420 with 2x WD blacks  no raid  no ipmi in it and it uses  approximately 1.3 amps  with no load

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
I have a supermico Dual L5420 with 2x WD blacks  no raid  no ipmi in it and it uses  approximately 1.3 amps  with no load
Really? That sounds strange, we have dual L5640 machines with IPMI that idle at around 1.1amps@120v with 4xSSDs

lowesthost

Verified Provider
strange that is so low or so high?  I was expecting it  it to be closer  to 2 amps more in line with the the old 5404 that uses 2.3 amps at idle (power pig)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
yeah those Dual L5420s usually max out around 1.5A or so at 110V (as a general rule of thumb).  

Know model numbers? HDDs/SSDs?
The Model Number should be just an old Rackable S5000PSL 2U.  But yeah HDDs/SSDs numbers would be nice.

Really? That sounds strange, we have dual L5640 machines with IPMI that idle at around 1.1amps@120v with 4xSSDs
I wish these used 1.1A max.  Dual L5420 consume much more power (granted less than what it originally was as E5420s) than some of the more common servers today.  These babies are powerhorses but suffer from sucking on energy.  

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I have never had anything happen when using Colocrossing.
Hey bud!  This is nothing against you but many people (including myself and a few of us on the admin staff) are pretty salty about CC (as you already probably know by now).  Fantastic you're not having problems with them.  I hope you're not affected by their network problem right now.  

I however would never ever host with CC (even if they offered to pay me to)

robbyhicks

Verified Provider
I would buy an IPMI card or have an iKVM solution if you're hosting remotely!! This will save you tons of money with remote hands, and be able to troubleshoot bios, reload OS yourself. Just be sure you get a separate network port for your IPMI/iKVM, most colo providers will give this to you free because it means you're much less likely to use remote hands :)

Good luck with your search!!

VENETX

I think so far if for pricing You have ;

FiberHub

Dacentec

Colocrossing

There might be others too but you need to know which one gives you a free set-up in hand so they may configure the networking unless they might charge you about $25 extra

amuck-landowner