amuck-landowner

Ukraine - Russia Situation

fixidixi

Hy,

I would like to know what do you think about this whole situation. There are folks in the community from all over the world -as I've noticed I might be wrong :) - so I tought it would be interesting to hear what do you think in different parts of the world (what are your ideas, what the media in your country says, what sources do you read while forming an opinion) etc.

Well I've got :popcorn: so let's hear what you've got to say about this :D .

Thanks for sharing! B)

GIANT_CRAB

So when USA goes to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc, its legal?

So when USA breaks Geneva protocols, such as no chemical weapons for warfare, in Vietnam and Afghanistan, its legal too?

When Russia defends her rights by saving/protection its people (which abides by constitution), EU/NATO/UN/America comes in and SLAMS Russia for "breaking international laws" when they weren't even broken.

I am a tinfoiler but what I stated above are facts, judgment is to be made by yourself.

Also, vpsBoard shouldn't be used for political discussions, its just not nice.

EDIT:

PS, its only the southern and eastern part that are so called "occupied", where there are tons of Russian speaking people who even hung up Russian flags in protest against the fascists who were supported/backed by the USA and EU.

There were also 100k Ukraine people who applied for asylum to Russia in just the last 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
nHZpReu.png

John Kerry must have the memory of a goldfish... His statement is so ironic.

EDIT: Political discussion is fine so long as it's civil. Just realize this forum has a global audience and the views of someone somewhere else in the world may differ from someone on the opposite side. So no flaming, please.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
That topic is misleading.

a small portion of Ukraine has seen an influx of Russian soldiers and they now have operational control of the area. I would agree with the acting pm of Ukraine that it is an act of war.

I do not, however, agree that "Ukraine occupied by Russia" is in any way accurate at all.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
When Russia defends her rights by saving/protection its people (which abides by constitution), EU/NATO/UN/America comes in and SLAMS Russia for "breaking international laws" when they weren't even broken.
First of all, this has nothing to do with the US - the topic is about Ukraine and Russia.

Secondly, I don't see how that is Russia's 'right'. It doesn't matter who you are (UK, US, whoever) you do not send your troops in to another country and you certainly don't take over military installations. That is a blatant act of war no matter how you slice it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ahh this is Off Topic :)

Seems like we have another this ethnic group vs. that ethnic group situation in Ukraine.  Both internally in Ukraine and the issue of Ukraine vs. Russia, even though quite a few Russians in Ukraine.

Where this is going on isn't far from Moscow, is it? 500 miles~.   So strategic on their part from having UN / US parked on their doorstop.  Kiev has been I believe a capitol of Russia in the past and storied history with such.

Ukraine suffered under Russian rule of the land oh less than 100 years back roughly. 

In 1932-34 "4 million deaths [were] attributed to starvation"...

Holodomor is the name of this event. Extermination by hunger.  Forced starvation of the Ukrainian people.

http://www.holodomorct.org/history.html

There have been three documented forced starvations of the Ukranians by the Russians:

http://www.ukrweekly.com/old/archive/1988/458814.shtml

Let's hope this matter doesn't result in a repeat of this history.  

HaitiBrother

This is for sure offtopic, but whatever.

Russia can invade Ukraine if they want, at one point Ukraine used to be apart of Russia under Russian control, so I don't see an issue with it?

However I smiled when I saw Obama threatening Russia to not invade Ukraine, I'm pretty sure if Russia and USA went to war, Russia would win.

fixidixi

@MartinD:

Please feel free to change the title if you think its misleading:

may Ukrain-Russia situation would be better :).

@GIANT_CRAB

"Also, vpsBoard shouldn't be used for political discussions, its just not nice."

I'm asking for opinions in the off topic section. I think talking about important in civil manner might be hard, but I trust the audiance of vpsboard that we are more than capable to do so :). I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way, that was not my intention.

Howerver I've asked about Ukraine and Russia and what is happening there RIGHT NOW! (Not about the US and its previous operations...)

So am I right to understand that your opinion is that what Russia's acts are justified because its protecting its citizens? (and what about international law?) Russia signed over that territory in 1950(? or I might have just said something foolish? :/ )

GIANT_CRAB

First of all, this has nothing to do with the US - the topic is about Ukraine and Russia.

Secondly, I don't see how that is Russia's 'right'. It doesn't matter who you are (UK, US, whoever) you do not send your troops in to another country and you certainly don't take over military installations. That is a blatant act of war no matter how you slice it.
When Russia made such a move, USA (John Kerry criticising) and the UN was involved.

Russian FM Sergey Lavrov at UN - "I reiterate, we are talking here about protection of our citizens and compatriots, about protection of the most fundamental of the human rights – the right to live, and nothing more.

Those who try to interpret the situation as an act of aggression, threaten us with sanctions and boycotts, are the same partners who have been consistently and vigorously encouraging the political powers close to them to declare ultimatums and renounce dialogue, to ignore the concerns of the south and east of Ukraine and consequently to the polarization of the Ukrainian society"

Politics is the grey area and never black/white straight, Russia's decision was debated in their Parliament.

Russia's government and people never liked war, therefore, they aren't warmongering people - why would they want to "invade Ukraine" when East and Southern Ukraine, and the President of Ukraine, asked for help from Russia.

peterw

Ukraine has a long history. And this conflict has a long history. In the 18th century Ukraine was devided between Austria/Hungary and the Russian Empire. Russia, fearing separatism, imposed strict limits on attempts to elevate the Ukrainian language and culture, banning its use.

Ukraine officially declared itself an independent state on August 24, 1991. But the Krim was a independend part of the Ukraine state because they know that most Russians live there. They have their own parlament too. There were conflicts between Russians and the Coptic Jews but even that was solved. And now Russia comes again to open old wounds and memories.

Let's hope it can end peacefully - Wouldn't want another Yugoslavia.
I hope this too. This brings Yugoslavia in my mind too!

fixidixi

Russia can invade Ukraine if they want, at one point Ukraine used to be apart of Russia under Russian control, so I don't see an issue with it?
I understand that the majority of the population is Russian, but theyve signed over that territory to another state. Moving in with army forces is not a resolution to the problems even if there are threats. Or is it just a question if you are "big enough" to do so? :%

rds100

Verified Provider
After the recent riots in Ukraine their government is barely functional. The police is nowhere to be seen, the other government institutions barely function too, if at all. So there is chaos everywhere and nobody to stop the every day crimes happening there, from which the regular people suffer. I can kind of understand Russia going in that part of Ukraine that is full of russians to put some order there. I don't think it's a war since they didn't have to fight with anyone - the ukrainean army wasn't very functional either, and those who were functional probably didn't want to fight with the Russians, as they themselves are of russian origin, etc.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
"BREAKING NEWS: Russia's Black Sea Fleet has given Ukrainian forces in Crimea until 03:00 GMT on Tuesday to surrender or face an all-out assault."

Yeah, Russia has a right.

Sounds like war to me.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
"BREAKING NEWS: Russia's Black Sea Fleet has given Ukrainian forces in Crimea until 03:00 GMT on Tuesday to surrender or face an all-out assault."

Yeah, Russia has a right.

Sounds like war to me.
RT is reporting that the Russian defense ministry issued a statement saying the ultimatum rumors are "total nonsense"

edited to add link to story: http://rt.com/news/russia-dismiss-ultimatum-ukraine-644/

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Let's hope it can end peacefully - Wouldn't want another Yugoslavia.
Yes, Serbia was the first thing that came to mind.

Another large Orthodox population that gets chronically attacked by the super powers.

raidz

This is for sure offtopic, but whatever.

However I smiled when I saw Obama threatening Russia to not invade Ukraine, I'm pretty sure if Russia and USA went to war, Russia would win.
Nobody would win. MAD

amuck-landowner