amuck-landowner

Untapped locations?

JDiggity

With regards to san jose - these will not be low end boxes.  As we stated We are going to offer 3 premium locations and 3 budget locations.  We know the issues with egi and are staying far away.  We asked the question on a forum that will remain nameless for Fran to advise which one he had issues with.  After his issues we were not going any where near that facility.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
There are many untapped locations that have not been tapped because of the drooling lust for <$7 servers, if people would pay $14 instead and take a logical approach then the more hosts that move in to a location the better the prices are for everyone.

wrox

The only reputable provider selling at budget prices in Sweden is EDIS. Other than that, Norway, Finland and Denmark (see: the Nordic) lacks - to my knowledge, a great amount of quality low-priced hosts. 

ElliotJ

Verified Provider
The Middle-East - Okay, I accept that certain countries may have legal systems that could make things a lil' difficult, but surely Israel might be possible?

India - Huge population, very few offers that have actually lasted.

bizzard

India - Huge population, very few offers that have actually lasted.
I posted the quote, which I got for a dedicated server in one of the Indian datacenters. It might be the reason for not much providers from India. Haven't seen much providers selling vps's located in India. Even if there are, the prices are much higher than the LEB limit. Most of the hosting providers here have servers in US or Europe.

tallship

Verified Provider
Citynethost has operations in Cairo, Egypt, They're rather reliable and stable, and the DNS server we maintain there never lost connectivity to the Internet even during the whole, "Fall of Mubarik" escapade.

I had a machine colo'd in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan about ten or twelve years ago, until there was a terrorist attack taking out that facility.

I find that some of the more underserved areas are actually in Africa, where it is almost impossible to find reasonable co-location space in some regions. We installed and managed some machinery for a client and the provider facility was actually a university there, with relatively little connectivity there within that particular country, due to a severe lack of telecommunications infrastructure.

You could have purchased a nice 3/4 ton long bed, king cab, 4x4 w/duallies for the price our client was paying us for just six months of service at a time.

The client eventually abandoned the project, and the machines were left as donations for the university because it just wasn't worth it to bother shipping them out of the country (They might not have made it out anyway). Our client was speculating that people would need services there, yet discovered the hard way that their concept was far beyond any demand or even capability there.

TheLinuxBug

Although one location in the U.S. that could use a bit more love is Boston (in more ways than one right now).
Http://www.axcelx.com  or Http://www.bostonvps.com  - They actually offered VMware vps on LEB at one time.  I know the owner and he is a good guy who cares about his customers.  The only caveats are the price is higher than the LEB price range at this point and a large portion of their network is Cogent. However, I have found their network extremely reliable and to give you an idea about uptime on their hardware:

root@vmware:~# uptime

15:48:34 up 379 days,  5:04,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Also, I do not remember the last time I saw a network outage, maybe once a long time ago. 

I haven't found many Boston providers who do not use mostly Cogent that are not on the high-end cost side of things, it seems commits for Level3 and some of the other larger providers is quite expensive there.

As per other places that are 'Untapped'...

There are a lot of Datacenters around the US that have great routing and networks that are not used in this industry that would be great to see VPS available in, however, as mentioned above usually these DCs come at a premium.  A few that come to mind are:

Expedient - Pittsburgh, PA , Cleveland, OH , Columbus, OH, Boston, MA , Baltimore, MD, Carmel, IN

Latisys - Ashburn, VAOrange County, CA , Denver, CO  and Chicago

I am sure I could come up with some others, but these are the two Companies that come to mind where I know they have really good networks and have not been exposed in this industry. 

Edit:

Norway, Finland and Denmark (see: the Nordic)
Would be awesome, but in my experience data services for commercial use in Norway (Nordic region) is ridiculously expensive.  They have a great infrastructure which they are super proud of, thus the costs.

P.S. HeroicVPS is actually located in Ashburn, VA with Phoenixnap which I believe uses the Latisys DC. (Do not quote me, they could be in Equinix which is also located there)

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Would be awesome, but in my experience data services for commercial use in Norway (Nordic region) is ridiculously expensive. They have a great infrastructure which they are super proud of, thus the costs.
Well some are, however there are affordable ones but they're majority Cogent with quite bad routing. Was thinking of dropping a few nodes out in Finland but yeah, the network wasn't so good, had a nice deal though. ;-)

I would like Jordan, it's a growing country, economically and it's fairly stable politically (a few ups and downs though).

libro22

With the high Internet speed in Korea, it seems to be a good location but they are too restrictive. They require you to have a national/citizen ID. 

Other than Seoul, Singapore is also a good location. If only there are more providers there, the price would go down a lot :p

ihatetonyy

Citynethost has operations in Cairo, Egypt, They're rather reliable and stable, and the DNS server we maintain there never lost connectivity to the Internet even during the whole, "Fall of Mubarik" escapade.
(sorry for the derail) I seem to remember a lot of whining about them on LEB/LET back when their offers were running. Would you recommend them, then? I've looked on and off at them just for the novelty of having an Egypt VPS.

tallship

Verified Provider
I seem to remember a lot of whining about them on LEB/LET back when their offers were running. Would you recommend them, then? I've looked on and off at them just for the novelty of having an Egypt VPS.
I picked up a vps from a special offer at LEB a couple of years ago or so. At first, there were some issues, but I was relentless, and it went kind of like this:

• Zabbix starts firing alerts off to me
  • I open a new ticket for each alert
  • they try to keep up with whatever the issue is but everytime a new issue comes up I am on it within ten minutes because I have zabbix submit the reports directly to their ticket system for me
  • There is no hiding from me as I continue to open automated tickets via Zabbix each time there are service issues, even if most people wouldn't notice
  • any RAM issues - open a ticket
  • any disk issues reported - open a ticket
  • any outtage issues for even a couple of minutes - Zabbix opens a ticket via email for each one and I later ask why, requiring an answer, presenting reports from three different Zabbix servers
  • any issues at all related to resources, performance, availability, etc. zabbix open a separate ticket with pastes of the reports and I follow up with personal queries if I don't get a response to my tickets within four hours from them as to why.
  • I accept their made up excuses at first, and then they figure out they can't keep providing third rate service.
  • CityNetHost eventually comes to the realization (about two or three weeks into service) that I will not go away and will report any overselling issues - whether they affect me or not.
  • CityNetHost moves me to a different (apparently special) node.
  • I now have a reliable running vps to serve DNS w/reverse DNS, machine has had no issues for a year or two whatsoever.
  • They really only seem to respond to trouble tickets once every day or so.

They promise something and I expect to get what I paid for - nevermind the fact that they got me in with a loss leader. That is irrelevant.

Only four providers that I've used or tested services of have given me relatively trouble free service, at least where stability and performance of the machines themselves are concerned:

• Me (Duh, but I own my own facilities in One Wilshire)
  • Edis.AT
  • NQhost
  • BuyVM
BuyVM had a few hiccups, but aside from way more *scheduled* maintenance window downtimes than I was comfortable with, service itself was always good (but they ALWAYS did provide ample notice of scheduled downtime) and the machines weren't oversold out of the HE facilities in California. Truth be told every one of those were related to infrastructure upgrades anyway - just way too many. I observed on several occasions that some of the crew could be less than business-like and quite vindictive towards other customers (quite childish and unprofessional, actually), had a couple of snafus there due to some early change overs where logins became an issue (was the result of upgrading their interface), but Francisco is easy to contact, affable, and puts a stop to shenannigans of his staff with a good focus on customer care when someone brings it to his attention. I should also add that I tested several machines - even extremely underpowered machines with them - all were surprisingly snappy and responsive - and they were one of the first low end economy providers to offer IPv6 as *standard equipment*, if you will (Coz they're in HE.net in Fremont I think).

NQhost is providing a vps in Falkenstein Germany - good responsive machines and stable, Don't know anything about them because I've never had to open a ticket - 400+ days w/o any downtime or issues whatsoever. This is good because I don't think (if I even recall correctly) that they're not very effective at communicating in English - but I really can't remember because I've never had a single issue with their service lol.

Edis.AT is a nice polite operation, only had one outtage issue with them, related to a routing issue at the datacenter, I called, spoke to the owner, he was very nice and explained about the outtage at the datacenter (he was a little beside himself and obviously concerned about not being able to do anything for his customers but wait with them until the matter was handled by his upstream). The issue resolved itself in a matter of a couple of hours and the server there has been up for over a year w/o any reboots/downtime since the last time I rebooted. Realized bandwidth is noticably less than what is advertised, but transit is quick, machine is responsive, and I'm only doing DNS and a few minor monitoriing services anyway there.

Exigent.com.au is also a good provider from down under, for the most part, I've had a couple of minor issues, all handled and responded to very quickly by the proprietor himself, the worst one being the inconvenience of having to adjust IP addresses in several zone files because they were growing and exchanged their existing IP block for a larger one - in all fairness, they provided two months of running in parallel with both sets of IPs to provide time for customers like me to prepare for the cut-over - so it was just the hassle of having to change a couple of hundred zonefiles really, and not a server issue. The machine does appear to be a little sluggish for what it's doing with the resources it has, but not too bad. Bandwidth is limited and it's a long haul to Australia so ping times are what they are - it is what it is :)

Web24.com.au - I have an underpowered emergency win2012 server there for use w/vSphere client and I login about twice a month - it costs me a buck a month. Not too bad, but it's hyper-v which totally sucks anyway. I had some major billing issues with them a few years back with a parallels vps back in the early days of virtualization - for some reason, no matter what anybody did, I would get these alerts saying the (Australian) credit card was declined (We're a U.S. Company, so we don't pay VAT or whatever they use there, and our company address was different than our billing address there in our Melbourne offices for the credit card), and then automated threats to turn off my machine would come pouring in two or three a day. After 8 or 9 months of that crap, my colleague there in Melbourne actually drove down to their offices twice - the second time I think he threatened them with bodily harm because after that the credit card went through every month no problem. They use that whacked out Parallels stuff which is really a nightmare to navigate when one has to, it also sucks because anytime you make changes to your config files it likes to break things - kinda like cpanel boxes used to be famous for with webhosting... Rule of thumb, don't do anything but pay bills in the control panel, make all adjustments/configs in the shell and you'll be fine as long as you don't ever use that stupid gui - but that's not web24's fault - it's Parallels', unless you want to blame them for choosing a confusing, convoluted, crap admin panel

nunim

VPS Junkie
I would love a proper LEB provider in Chicago, all the ones I have tried so far have been crap, or operating out of Colocrossing (so crap+no ipv6), certainly not an untapped area but it could use a solid provider in a decent datacenter (steadfast?).

There's billions of LEB hosts in Dallas/Kansas City but nothing proper in Chicago that I've found, granted I haven't tried EDIS Chicago location.

amuck-landowner