amuck-landowner

Untapped locations?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Everyone and their brother has setup shop in popular US cities such as LA, Dallas, Chicago, Buffalo and NYC, etc. Europe isn't lacking any number of providers either, though I'd speculate it's not as over-saturated as a market as some of the US locations.

What are some locations you'd like to see offered that rarely is? Personally, I'd like to see more in India, South America, South Korea, the Caribbean and Africa. Trouble is most these places have high bandwidth costs compared to elsewhere.

What are your thoughts?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Trouble is most these places have high bandwidth costs compared to elsewhere.
That's the problem with any "untapped location". People go where bandwidth, power, network access, hardware, etc. is cheap. Personally, living in the U.S., I have ready (a.k.a. low latency) access to the highly tapped locations. While other locations would be nice, for one reason or the other they are prohibitive, so there's not much to be done.

Although one location in the U.S. that could use a bit more love is Boston (in more ways than one right now).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
new zealand would be an awesome location, can't find lots of providers in NZ.
Looked into that before, though the bandwidth cost is pretty dang pricey.

I mean, it's not impossible to do that, or even do 'low end' servers there. I think most people would use one as a VPN or a DNS server for the novelty of it, though. I'd like to add a NZ location to my dns cluster, that'd be pretty neat =]

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I don't really think there are any untapped areas left, there are many that have little presence however that is because nobody, or enough actually want services in that region.  And with the likes of cloudflare getting thrown in front of so many sites now or other form of CDN you are pretty much covered from the West Coast of the USA through to the East side of the EU and that is really all anyone needs unless there is a specific desire to be in a location.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
We be in 3 new locations in about a month.  We will have Dallas, Miami, Seatle. 
Nice! Glad to see more in Seattle, I feel like it's a good west coast location that is often overlooked. Some Chinese clients even seem to prefer Seattle over LA, so there's that too...

We had some talk of opening a Seoul location but not sure whats going in. We've talked about a lot of locations too, so we'll see. Personally I'd rather re-up in our existing locations.

igobyterry

As someone else said, a lot of the problem with these untapped location is their cost to do business there. We offer Cloud Servers in Australia, but at an increased rate of $65, compared to $20. At $20 there's pretty significant demand, but at $65 not so much, so while there's demand, it's not at the prices providers can afford.

There are a lot of alternatives though. For example, San Jose makes for a good alternative to native Australia. Miami makes for a good alternative to South America. Singapore is still pretty affordable, while working well for the APAC regions.

Nick

new zealand would be an awesome location, can't find lots of providers in NZ.
Aye! Another kiwi?

I've been looking getting some gear in New Zealand (locally) but have a busy year ahead of me. Keep an eye out though!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Damn, I want a VPS in Seatle, never seen that on the map before.
Oh really? We've got some Seattle nodes but they're at capacity now. I'll kick someone off for the right price...  /s

Seattle is a good location and alternative to LA, especially when it comes to the Chinese who just want use the VPS as a VPN.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Agree with @Nick, lack of Canada offers.

A-Pac area needs more options. 

India has tons of people but hardly any offers.  Ditto for China, but laws to operate behind the great wall make it hard to no go option.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Coastercraze has the right idea.  2nd tier market would be nice too :)  Some great in-between places out there with low latency and rich provider mix.

mnpeep

Verified Provider
Problem with Seattle is that most traffic is pushed through San Jose.

Actually, I don't see many providers in San Jose. The only one I can name is BlueVM.

amuck-landowner