amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Too many small clients to look after with tiny margins. Will be a pain just to deal with abusive. Hard to sustain.

trewq

Verified Provider
I can imagine the communication issues between him and a nonenglish speaker.

Mid

I am not an experienced guy, but I would ask him to go for a 1 cent a year plan and hope he realizes what the real world is. :)

mtwiscool

Too many small clients to look after with tiny margins. Will be a pain just to deal with abusive. Hard to sustain.
I'm already working on automated anti-abuse scripts.

any virtual coin miners = instent automatic tarmnation without refund

5 emails per day limit as well.

and 10Mbps limit on port speed.

and cpu limited to 200Mhz

This should clare up over 75% of abuse without lifing a finger.

mtwiscool

IP Tables? Would at least block some of the more common abuse.
Thank you for posting that link i will use your advice.

Thank you all members expect buyvm(Why do you say i just want to snoop?).

And club as in community aka we will have a forum and an irc chat.

Our only goal is to bring back the true lowendbox and not the modem fake ones with like 6gb of ram.

I can get nginx, php and mysql running in less then 32mb of ram even on the .18 karnel and the .32 karnel means things use less ram i have noticed.

Automation is key to a good turnover around 15% to 35% profit is the goal.

and we have a coming soon page at: http://32mb.club/

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Thank you for posting that link i will use your advice.

Thank you all members expect buyvm(Why do you say i just want to snoop?).

And club as in community aka we will have a forum and an irc chat.

Our only goal is to bring back the true lowendbox and not the modem fake ones with like 6gb of ram.

I can get nginx, php and mysql running in less then 32mb of ram even on the .18 karnel and the .32 karnel means things use less ram i have noticed.

Automation is key to a good turnover around 15% to 35% profit is the goal.

and we have a coming soon page at: http://32mb.club/
I hope you mean kernel, and still haven't answered how your going to limit a VM to 5 emails per a day?

AThomasHowe

nginx and php are okay on 32MB, I would advise against using mysql on it though. Below I would say... 256MB, any RAM you save you will add 2x or maybe 3x load on the CPU or the disk. The minimum I run MySQL on is a 128MB instance that's only used by me for Observium. 128MB would still probably cripple with most traffic.

I would say 256MB+ for MySQL. Nginx and PHP will be fine though.

If you are determined maybe offer offloaded MySQL to discourage people hosting their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

mtwiscool

nginx and php are okay on 32MB, I would advise against using mysql on it though. Below I would say... 256MB, any RAM you save you will add 2x or maybe 3x load on the CPU or the disk. The minimum I run MySQL on is a 128MB instance that's only used by me for Observium. 128MB would still probably cripple with most traffic.

I would say 256MB+ for MySQL. Nginx and PHP will be fine though.

If you are determined maybe offer offloaded MySQL to discourage people hosting their own.
we are planning on offing free offloaded mysql on all vps's on request.

Flapadar

Verified Provider
I hope you mean kernel, and still haven't answered how your going to limit a VM to 5 emails per a day?
You might want to look at xt_hashlimit and how iptables works on the host node in openvz. It's not a complicated thing to do at all; despite mtwiscool being a child judging by his picture he'll probably figure it out eventually. 

mtwiscool

You might want to look at xt_hashlimit and how iptables works on the host node in openvz. It's not a complicated thing to do at all; despite mtwiscool being a child judging by his picture he'll probably figure it out eventually. 
Code:
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s $ipv6 --dport 25 -m limit --limit 5/day -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s $ipv6 --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j LOG
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s $ipv6 --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j DROP

and to stop ipv4 emails:
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s 10.0.0.0/8 --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j DROP

Flapadar

Verified Provider
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s $ipv6 --dport 25 -m limit --limit 5/day -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s $ipv6 --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j LOG
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s $ipv6 --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j DROP

and to stop ipv4 emails:
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp -s 10.0.0.0/8 --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j DROP
Good god that's a terrible solution. Absolutely awful...

1) iptables doesn't work for v6. You want ip6tables

2) Are you really going to have one rule per VM? You're going high density, that will have terrible performance...

3) Stateful tracking on the HN is either disabled or really inefficient if you manually re-enable it. 

4) Someone could deliberately make your logs unreadable by sending a lot of traffic on port 25. 

Last edited by a moderator:

raj

You may also want to look into setting the numproc limit at something reasonably low to limit these small VMs from raping your nodes.  I'd imagine something in the 30-40 range would be reasonable?

mtwiscool

You may also want to look into setting the numproc limit at something reasonably low to limit these small VMs from raping your nodes.  I'd imagine something in the 30-40 range would be reasonable?
Thank you for the suggestion.

Accepted.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
You can launch into the console or mount a server with Xen too.  Never used KVM but I assume the same applies.
The catch with KVM (and I'm assuming Xen?) is that to mount the disk you have to bring the VM offline.  Folks that pay attention to their availability will notice that happening - whereas with OpenVZ, you can vzctl enter right into a VPS as root with the container still online and running, leaving no trace.  That's one of the primary reasons I recommend KVM to folks cautious about their privacy, regardless of who their provider is.

mtwiscool

The catch with KVM (and I'm assuming Xen?) is that to mount the disk you have to bring the VM offline.  Folks that pay attention to their availability will notice that happening - whereas with OpenVZ, you can vzctl enter right into a VPS as root with the container still online and running, leaving no trace.  That's one of the primary reasons I recommend KVM to folks cautious about their privacy, regardless of who their provider is.
Don't you provide openvz vps's?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Yes, we do.  We also have a reputation for privacy and trust - any of our clients that have needed more complex assistance can attest that we always ask permission to enter a VPS, and fully explain the actions we take to resolve the issue.

mtwiscool

Yes, we do.  We also have a reputation for privacy and trust - any of our clients that have needed more complex assistance can attest that we always ask permission to enter a VPS, and fully explain the actions we take to resolve the issue.
I do not usely do any snooping as with openvz i can see the prossess on the node and track it to the vm to suspend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner