amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raj

32MB club doesn't exist yet.  No nodes, no offloaded mysql server, no nothing.  To me this is the same dream as the regional wifi dream.  It's a dream where he is CEO, and his VP of Operations is Pooh bear.

eddynetweb

We've learned you can stuff 16 static websites on a 64MB VPS, but this is just ridiculous.

You have no business plan, chances are this will only last a year (heck, less possibly), and you're pricing it to seem like there is no cost what-so-ever on the node side.

Yes, 32MB's is "LowEnd", but the pricepoint of the matter is really what makes something "LowEnd". I assume you made this in 5 minutes after reading the thread on LET.  

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
the pricepoint of the matter is really what makes something "LowEnd"
And that right there is *exactly* the problem plaguing the VPS market - focusing on quantity over quality.  Not that I have any expectations of his foolhardy dream to make it more than a few gasping steps before stumbling into obscurity - but the "most resources at lowest sale price" crap is precisely why fewer people trust VPSes, especially OpenVZ, anymore.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I look up to more greenvaluehost not chris.

I want to shake a few things up to change the lowend thing.

future monthly plans include 16gb ram for $7 per month :)
Holy tractor trailer hits a trailer loaded with sewer crap which hits a bus full of nuns.

If you look up to GVH, you need to step away.. Turn off the monitor.. Go outside.. Look for some people doing work, real people. Then start re-defining everything.  New role models, yo'!

I won't bore you, but GVH shouldn't be anyones role model.  It's a textbook example of too many good people enabling someone who shouldn't be in this industry.  It's an unsustainable business model (i.e. only can survive at ColoCrossing)..  Cause you know, they have some special pricing, like they own an Intel chip fabricator or something... ahahrehem bullshit. For you, special price, you pay twice.

You realize that GHV-Jonny's role model is Fabozzi, right?  Which makes the statement of who and what about 10x funnier to me. Scandalous-brand-is-us.

16GB of RAM VPS... bahahaha.. somewhere, right now some dumb furless ape is on about that..

Last edited by a moderator:

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Yes, 32MB's is "LowEnd", but the pricepoint of the matter is really what makes something "LowEnd". I assume you made this in 5 minutes after reading the thread on LET.  
In fairness, he was discussing his 32MB idea before that thread...in fact, May 1st, right here on vpsboard...

devonblzx

Verified Provider
2x2tb hdd in sw raid 1 with ramdisk writeback
A ramdisk writeback?  Please don't try to host anything.  The only reason why memory cache works with hardware RAID cards is because they have a battery backup so if the server crashes, the RAM is kept powered on in the RAID card.  If you use standard RAM, it will cause loads of corruption because when the system crashes, the RAM is turned off and therefore cleared.  RAM is not persistent data.  Let the kernel handle caching to the RAM, it does it automatically with free RAM.

mtwiscool

A ramdisk writeback?  Please don't try to host anything.  The only reason why memory cache works with hardware RAID cards is because they have a battery backup so if the server crashes, the RAM is kept powered on in the RAID card.  If you use standard RAM, it will cause loads of corruption because when the system crashes, the RAM is turned off and therefore cleared.  RAM is not persistent data.  Let the kernel handle caching to the RAM, it does it automatically with free RAM.
I just want higher dd resaults as people complain if it's below 250MB/S

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
As people have said above, if your using OpenVZ then just leave the OS to use the available ram to cache.

Your going to get performance issues with a 1000 containers no matter what you do.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
This thread is useful as a list of things NOT to do as a VPS provider.

Writeback for /dev. Why? What would that achieve? Do you do alot of write to the virtual (udev) filesystem that is /dev?

How about instead of trying to produce a fast write speed so clients don't complain you look into the fundamental issues and how you can get the best overall experience for your clients? You know... things like not having 1,000 clients on a single node....

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Well let's see.

Ram:

32GB / 32MB is 1024 VM's (That is leaving nothings for host OS nothing for cache)

Disk:

2 * 2TB Disk's Raid 1 Giving you about 100Mb Speed

So each VM would have 0.1Mb I/O Speed!

CPU:

3.2 * 4 = 12.8 GHZ

12.8GHZ / 1000 = 0.0128GHZ per a VM!

Answer:

No probably not as even if you just about have enough RAM for your 1000 VM's, their is going to be absolutely no I/O & CPU available to run something like nginx. Let alone a 1000 copies of an OS.

mtwiscool

Well let's see.

Ram:

32GB / 32MB is 1024 VM's (That is leaving nothings for host OS nothing for cache)

Disk:

2 * 2TB Disk's Raid 1 Giving you about 100Mb Speed

So each VM would have 0.1Mb I/O Speed!

CPU:

3.2 * 4 = 12.8 GHZ

12.8GHZ / 1000 = 0.0128GHZ per a VM!

Answer:

No probably not as even if you just about have enough RAM for your 1000 VM's, their is going to be absolutely no I/O & CPU available to run something like nginx. Let alone a 1000 copies of an OS.
12.8Mhz per VM:

in testing i used about less then 2mhz on the OS leaving 10.8mhz for programs.

without mysql it should work out at about 6 to 8 mhz used per vm(free offloaded mysql).

ovh disks raid one give about 150MB/S on avages = 1.5MB/S per user.

and it's to be 700 to 1000 vms depending on load.

can asnother host tell me the avage io used per vm please?(yearly only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner