amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwiscool

Are you trying to tell me that a node full of hundreds of users that would typically run web services, which fundamentally are services that read files off a disk and sends them over a network link, is adequately represented by your node's read/write speed instantaneous reading of of 0 bytes per second/ < 1 megabyte per second?  
times the number and allow for abuses to up the number.

most vps's will write in ram if its a small file then put it on disk so they is not going to be 100% infmaion to disk not unless you disable the cahe abitily of Liunx and all the vps's use Debain and our optimized templates.

As most prossess will be 'sleeping' as shown here:

Tasks: 590 total,   4 running, 586 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

thats ware most of the stuff in the os goes and mast programs go to sleep when not needed it is programs that are optimized and pretty much any node will show this type of thing.

Remeber this is not xen or kvm so tasks get delt with diffently.

And this node has vcmp servers, sa-mp and minecraft servers on it all active.

Because of the amound of vps's used for gameservers around 15% i think the stats are rensable and vary conservtive numbers.

This is the reason i wanted someone to reply who has done 32mb ram vps's.

And they are lickly to have less load then the one for nocostvps due to less ram.

Sorry i sounded a bit angry i was trying to show you what i mean.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
times the number and allow for abuses to up the number.

most vps's will write in ram if its a small file then put it on disk so they is not going to be 100% infmaion to disk not unless you disable the cahe abitily of Liunx and all the vps's use Debain and our optimized templates.

As most prossess will be 'sleeping' as shown here:

Tasks: 590 total,   4 running, 586 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

thats ware most of the stuff in the os goes and mast programs go to sleep when not needed it is programs that are optimized and pretty much any node will show this type of thing.

Remeber this is not xen or kvm so tasks get delt with diffently.

And this node has vcmp servers, sa-mp and minecraft servers on it all active.

Because of the amound of vps's used for gameservers around 15% i think the stats are rensable and vary conservtive numbers.

This is the reason i wanted someone to reply who has done 32mb ram vps's.

And they are lickly to have less load then the one for nocostvps due to less ram.

Sorry i sounded a bit angry i was trying to show you what i mean.

Just done a quick google search, all the links pointed to providers that either no longer sold 32MB plan's or seem to have gone completely bust..

,Ashley

mtwiscool

There is normally a reason why they no longer offer it/website does not even resolve!
Things are changing and changing fast, it is trying to catch each change.

it is going to the old specs and that are just being offed cheaper so this is what is needed for the hosting insterdury.

trewq

Verified Provider
Things are changing and changing fast, it is trying to catch each change.

it is going to the old specs and that are just being offed cheaper so this is what is needed for the hosting insterdury.
Do you even economics? But really, when people don't offer products or services it's for a reason.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp

There's a link to get you started. If you can't figure out why this is not a good idea after everyone above has explained it to you and you have read the link above, then please stop.

The opportunity cost of your time must be so very low for you to even consider this feasible.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
It the reason why the slogan is:

Lets bring back the true low end vps
From what I've read in this thread, it appears your plan is:

• - use a ram cache so that when people sign up and run their dd tests, you hope it'll look halfway decent.  ("I just want higher dd resaults as people complain if it's below 250MB/S")
  • - these users are then supposed to let their VPS idle most of the time because people buy LEBs just to let them idle ("people will not always be writing infomation as most people buy small vps's to idel them.")
  • - because people are only spending $1/year, they won't expect any kind of service (which is not true), so you don't have to provide any.
So your real market are LET dwellers who buy a VM, test it, and then move on to the next toy.  There's a certain twisted logic to this, but the reality is that you're aiming to a low-service, poorly regarded host.  Why not provide a good service  Why waste your time with this nonsense?  

Your "bring back the low end spirit" slogan is just nonsense you're using to make this offering sound somehow appealing.

Please admit: 

• you don't have the capital to start a hosting company.  That's really what this is about.
  • the only way you can think to get to profitability is to jam 1,000 people on a box.  
  • I'm guessing this service will start with some "$1 for the first month" dedi offer you found on WHT
  • Once you've taken $1,000 for 1,000 people, if it doesn't work out (and it shan't) you will just fold shop and pocket their money.
  • Your alleged profit margin is 15% (it won't be, but the idea of aiming for 15% is so silly I have to bring it up).  Do you think that 1,000 angry users haunting you for the rest of your days is worth it?
I will now receive a response consisting of

• two run-on sentences
  • all in lower case
  • multiple spelling errors
  • addressing one random point in this post and ignoring the rest
Sigh.  What is the hosting insterdury coming to.

mtwiscool

I just calculated the cost of the node + cp fees + billing panel +fees from bitpay = pre-tax profit 29%

I have contacted colocrossing but they could not get the price lower then the other offer i got but suggested i contact HVH.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
So you're trying to "maximise profit" by... begging free advice from real providers that are actually running a business.  I find that about as amusing as all the hosts that came up to us saying "will you setup filtering for my company too lol".

Hey, while you're at it, why don't you open a "restaurant", and go around asking real establishments for their recipies.

Mid

I have got 50+ emails from this thread (deleted about 30+ yesterday I think), which I feel is not worth dealing with. I don't know why those non-kids involve too much in this. I am unsubscribing from this thread (I would have made in profile settings so that I get mails from threads that I post on), and I don't understand how you people deal with so much tierlessly, of course I get tired too soon.

Let the kid experience, you people move on.

mtwiscool

New node specs:

Intel i5 @ 3.1ghz

16gb ram

1x 1tb hdd

100Mbps bandwidth

with 500 users allowing higher disk io and 75% more cpu power per user but costs will go up from $1.39/year to $1.49.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
New node specs:

Intel i5 @ 3.1ghz

16gb ram

1x 1tb hdd

100Mbps bandwidth

with 500 users allowing higher disk io and 75% more cpu power per user but costs will go up from $1.39/year to $1.49.
OMG I didn't think it could get any worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner