amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
12.8Mhz per VM:

in testing i used about less then 2mhz on the OS leaving 10.8mhz for programs.

without mysql it should work out at about 6 to 8 mhz used per vm(free offloaded mysql).

ovh disks raid one give about 150MB/S on avages = 1.5MB/S per user.

and it's to be 700 to 1000 vms depending on load.

can asnother host tell me the avage io used per vm please?(yearly only)

Won't be 1.5MB/s would be a slightly increase from my original figure of 0.15MB/s, still no where near able to run anything.

0.15MB/s is just about 3 times the write speed of a floppy disk!

mtwiscool

people will not always be writing infomation as most people buy small vps's to idel them.

i might use a small cache(512mb) to help with the most used files.

what amount of io do people use?

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
One person running a yum update would crash the whole node without a doubt.

Your just not thinking this through, id personally put no more than 10 on that node, no matter the ram/price point.

Anything more it just won't work.

mtwiscool

One person running a yum update would crash the whole node without a doubt.

Your just not thinking this through, id personally put no more than 10 on that node, no matter the ram/price point.

Anything more it just won't work.
15MB/S per person?

are you mad?

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Nope, 15MB/s is an acceptable performance to be able to anything inside of an OS.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
I would say so, if I was purchasing a VPS no matter the ram I would be expecting at least a couple of MB/s.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
You have to remember that as you try and read data that is split up over the platters move you performance will drop. Your not going to get your full 150MB/s speed constantly with people reading all over the disk platters.

I think your going to find your going to get no where near 1000 with real world minimal performance.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
I may not provide rock bottom priced yearly plans, however I know what kind of minimum requirement's are required to run an OS, and 0.15MB/s is not.

raj

people will not always be writing infomation as most people buy small vps's to idel them.

i might use a small cache(512mb) to help with the most used files.

what amount of io do people use?
So your business plan is banking on people buying a bunch of small VPS just to let them idle?

mtwiscool

this is the avager disk io useage on nocostvps node free:

Total DISK READ: 0.00 B/s | Total DISK WRITE: 131.22 K/s

45 active users 128mb ram each.

raj

Are you trying to tell me that a node full of hundreds of users that would typically run web services, which fundamentally are services that read files off a disk and sends them over a network link, is adequately represented by your node's read/write speed instantaneous reading of of 0 bytes per second/ < 1 megabyte per second?  

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner