amuck-landowner

Volumedrive about to deadpool?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
So... Been out of the loop on this today. Was caught up yesterday.

Did VolumeDrive every come back online? They said they were going to come back online with the servers they did have, and it was scheduled for yesterday (Saturday).

concerto49

Verified Provider
So... Been out of the loop on this today. Was caught up yesterday.

Did VolumeDrive every come back online? They said they were going to come back online with the servers they did have, and it was scheduled for yesterday (Saturday).
They are still restoring...

concerto49

Verified Provider
So, VolumeDrive has gotten some people back online?
BurstNET has gotten some people online :)

VolumeDrive are still restoring. It appears the network is up to some extent, but no real customer is up according to WHT (or their website).

Jack

BurstNET has gotten some people online :)

VolumeDrive are still restoring. It appears the network is up to some extent, but no real customer is up according to WHT (or their website).
My old gateway is online..

PING 173.242.120.1 (173.242.120.1): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 173.242.120.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=239 time=89.535 ms

64 bytes from 173.242.120.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=239 time=89.313 ms

^C

--- 173.242.120.1 ping statistics ---

2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 89.313/89.424/89.535/0.111 ms

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Jack, 

Your gateway WAS online.

Looks like VD has been eradicated from the web again.  Site offline, DNS busted, emails bounce.  Clients offline :)  BGP changed big time.

That WHT thread, uggh.  Lots of purging of comments.   Lots of kicking the same things over and over.

Unsure why folks buy VD.  Must purely be price.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
On the subject of extreme budget hosting, has any VPS Host's been affected by VD's outage? lol

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah Sola something or another was a "provider" bit in the arse by this.  It's on the WHT thread if you have nothing to do today :)

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
Yeah Sola something or another was a "provider" bit in the arse by this.  It's on the WHT thread if you have nothing to do today :)
I honestly don't know why a company would use Volumedrive to host paying customers. With their extremely low pricing, and the fact that they just recently rolled out a billing/support system.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
I honestly don't know why a company would use Volumedrive to host paying customers. With their extremely low pricing, and the fact that they just recently rolled out a billing/support system.
People love cheap stuff... Look at ChicagoVPS they only got big due to the mass overselling :O haha.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Oh, VD had billing and support systems, finally? :)

Pretty insane to run things the way they had since day one.  I remember ordering service (probably 2+ years ago) and it took no less than 2 weeks.  Who waits 2 weeks for a VPS?  Emails for support, well same sort of disinterest.

Obviously the owner is a complete cheapskate and whacko.  Who else would do that to customers?  A month or so into that I cut the cord and never looked back.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
People love cheap stuff... Look at ChicagoVPS they only got big due to the mass overselling :eek: haha.
They got big due to Colocrossing owning them and shuffling abandoned and spare servers over to that arm of the company.  Which in reality is an utter sin considering it isn't one business school type with no tech running the brand but a full company. A full company which wants others to spend real money renting racks and doing big grown up business and spending real cash.

Oh yeah snaking LEB/LET and funneling your house and preferred partner ads in your facilities doesn't hurt either :)

Naysayers who think these are two different companies, oh you'll see pretty soon.  Be it a month or three. Time is ticking.

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
Oh, VD had billing and support systems, finally? :)
A few months a go they made public their system, it was about 40% functional. Had basic billing and support features with the rest "coming soon".

People love cheap stuff... Look at ChicagoVPS they only got big due to the mass overselling :eek: haha.

I think the industry is driving the prices down considerably low, similar to what the CD industry did with their music club promotions back in the day. I'll be suprised if VD is breaking even.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 I'll be suprised if VD is breaking even.
They are profitable supposedly.  Enough so the owner can drive his fleet of fancy cars :)

That aside, the dedicated servers don't appear to be profitable.   Surely other revenue streams with VD that make the place go.  VPSes way more profitable for them, but sole profit center?  Most companies don't have one center unless it is a biggie.

Jack

They are profitable supposedly.  Enough so the owner can drive his fleet of fancy cars :)

That aside, the dedicated servers don't appear to be profitable.   Surely other revenue streams with VD that make the place go.  VPSes way more profitable for them, but sole profit center?  Most companies don't have one center unless it is a biggie.
Well they must profit? Josh I know has a macbook from looking at email headers with him and is driving round PA in a Porsche 911 and has been seen in Aston Martins and other sport cars.

amuck-landowner