amuck-landowner

WebhostingTalk catches the LE* disease

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Just got through that WHT thread. :)

Well... Found Ald's title here a hoot.

WHT is nothing more than a constant machine gun of offers.  It's deafening.    

Too damn corporate DOLLA DOLLA BILL YA'ALL.

GVH-Jon

Banned
This industry is full of greed if any of you haven't noticed. The majority of responses from providers on that thread are either bias or complete BS to throw people off on purpose.

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider
WHT is just another business, thats all it is. At the end of the day they are going to make any change they want to make sure they get more and more traffic so they make more and more money. It is what it is. 

- Daniel :)

Just got through that WHT thread. :)

Well... Found Ald's title here a hoot.

WHT is nothing more than a constant machine gun of offers.  It's deafening.    

Too damn corporate DOLLA DOLLA BILL YA'ALL.

Last edited by a moderator:

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I think the WHT/LET problem is the perfect storm of:

- industry with an extremely low barrier to entry.  You can start a web host for, what, $20?

- very generic, commodity product that is difficult to differentiate

- product that, by its nature, people tend to find on the web.  Most people don't learn about web hosting companies via traditional advertising, sales reps, etc.

- product that has no geographical boundaries.  Someone living in the third world can rent a server and offer the service as effectively as someone living in the first world, which means a race to the bottom.  Because of the cost of living differences, some people will be willing to except razor-thin margins.

Given that, it's not surprising that advertisers would flood a free open forum.

dcdan

Verified Provider
Sometimes I want WHT mods to ban all signatures and any links what so ever, but I realize this will not happen. The amount of fluffy nonsense in every single topic is ridiculous. When you ask a question, you must expect a few dozen BS posts from salespeople who's only goal is to flash their signature. I absolutely understand why quality went down - I just do not have any desire to answer, say, a technical question when the topic is flooded by fluff (and the OP has left long ago thinking "WTF was that?!").

When was the last time anyone learned something useful on WHT?

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
When you ask a question, you must expect a few dozen BS posts from salespeople who's only goal is to flash their signature. 
^ This

"Check the offers.  And oh by the way, here is my densely bold colored signature stuffed with promo info."

AuroraZero

I generally stay away from WHT and Namepros and the like. Most of the staff of those places act like morons. Not to mention you can not find shit even if you wanted. Too much garbage to sift through, that even if you did find something it would be too late to act on it.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I generally stay away from WHT and Namepros and the like. Most of the staff of those places act like morons. Not to mention you can not find shit even if you wanted. Too much garbage to sift through, that even if you did find something it would be too late to act on it.
I've cited you for an infraction.

-- bear-non-e-mouse

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I go to WHT when I want to learn something new or have more advanced technical questions. It's still my preferred forum for anything hosting/coding related. I also only buy services from their Offers section but that's because, like others have said, they have a vast sea of offers and the few times I've needed to buy service it wasn't for a VPS.

I come to vpsBoard when I want a more relaxed environment and to get away from the seriousness.

I visit LET when I need a good laugh.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
When was the last time anyone learned something useful on WHT?
If a board is small you won't find enough people knowing something usefull about a topic.

If a board is too big you won't find enough non-sales people which still want to post something.

I stick to boards that don't want growth at any cost and keep at a specific topic.

Not an easy task for the owner but I think MannDude will manage it.

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
WHT has it benefits but it's also referred to as "the shark tank". I found Ryan / Gary / Colo@ there and have had a great and properous relationship with them.

I've just learned to ignore a lot of posts and a lot of what people say. I've been in the industry "offically" since 2001 but in an unofficial capacity, a few years prior to that. As someone stated in the WHT post, the industry is cyclical in nature. The crazy cheap offers come and go all the time. New developments are made that create new paradigm shifts and with them increases in price and value.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I go to WHT when I want to learn something new or have more advanced technical questions. It's still my preferred forum for anything hosting/coding related. I also only buy services from their Offers section but that's because, like others have said, they have a vast sea of offers and the few times I've needed to buy service it wasn't for a VPS.

I come to vpsBoard when I want a more relaxed environment and to get away from the seriousness.

I visit LET when I need a good laugh.
...and I'm guessing you never go to FreeWebHostingTalk because that place is a spooky ghost town.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
...and I'm guessing you never go to FreeWebHostingTalk because that place is a spooky ghost town.
Not anymore. It was way to much work and iNET pretty much ignored us because the income FreeWHT was generating was the lowest of all of their online properties (which I understand but I had a lot of good ideas that were dismissed, although we got to beta test all new versions of vBulletin before they pushed it to WHT). Last time I was there I put in a request to have my admin perms removed since I was still getting 20+ e-mails a day about duplicate accounts and spam. Before that time I only went back to remove somebody else's mod perms because somebody opened a thread on WHT about them scamming people on FreeWHT.

I want to get back into the free web hosting scene but I doubt I'll return to FreeWHT except to post an ad or two to get it started.

Kakashi

Verified Provider
WHT for me, due to the community size and since it's been around for a long time is the place I frequent the most to read up on technical issues and purchase servers/colo etc.. I don't really feel any sort of community spirit there like VPSboard has. Each has their own niche I suppose.

amuck-landowner