amuck-landowner

Webmail client to read multiple accounts at once

nfn

Hi,

I'm looking for a webmail client to install on my server that allow multiple accounts at once, just like a desktop mail client.

Don't want to login in multiple interfaces daily to check multiple email accounts :)

Anyone knows any script to do this, php preferable!

Thanks

N.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Run a remote desktop / GUI on the server and install normal mail client? Unsure really, but a good question. Certainly an option exists.

nfn

That's an idea, but would prefer a webmail solution since it can be access anywhere :)

Thanks

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Remote desktop would accomplish that. :)

Can't say I am a fan of that approach.

Best approach likely is something like Roundcube, a common web based email client.

Roundcube supports multiple IMAP accounts via one interface.

Increhost

Verified Provider
Hi, this could be a fast CLI solution, configure Mutt (in an unprivileged user account of the server, or in a really cheap VPS [much better]) with your multiple mailboxes configured.

You can also use tmux (a modern terminal multiplexer like screen) to leave it allways open if you like.

Cheers!

perennate

Verified Provider
OP was looking for interfaces that support accounts from different servers, not multiple accounts on a single mail server.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I was looking through some of these and RainLoop caught my interest. I decided to see if I can see an actual e-mail in the demo so I went into the trash and... guess what I find?

An e-mail with the subject "fuck" and the content as "fuckvpsboard".

It was probably someone from LET since Shovey posted the link there, and that person sent a dummy e-mail (that's now in the Trash folder) but it's pretty funny.

Just reminding everyone, even if you do use a web client, your originated IP is still there in the mail header. ;)

I found it amusing.

nunim

VPS Junkie
I gave RainLoop a try, it's very easy to install as almost all of the required functions come with the default PHP build, aside from cURL and SQLite.  It's obviously slower then GMail or a desktop mail client as no mail is stored locally, it is all pulled over IMAP.  For me personally there's no real point to using a third-party webmail client as all of my main domains are served through Google Apps and I find the GMail UI to be superior.

I do not like that RainLoop has no built-in user authentication scheme, so anyone who finds your RainLoop install can access their own GMail (or whatever domains you have configured) mailboxes.

Mailpile looks quite promising but it seems like it has a long way to go before it's ready for production use.

shovenose

Verified Provider
I gave RainLoop a try, it's very easy to install as almost all of the required functions come with the default PHP build, aside from cURL and SQLite.  It's obviously slower then GMail or a desktop mail client as no mail is stored locally, it is all pulled over IMAP.  For me personally there's no real point to using a third-party webmail client as all of my main domains are served through Google Apps and I find the GMail UI to be superior.

I do not like that RainLoop has no built-in user authentication scheme, so anyone who finds your RainLoop install can access their own GMail (or whatever domains you have configured) mailboxes.

Mailpile looks quite promising but it seems like it has a long way to go before it's ready for production use.
The admin panel is located at yourrainloopinstall/?admin and you can remove the domains like gmail, outlook.com,yahoo from the list, then it won't let you do it.

rainloop.png

nunim

VPS Junkie
The admin panel is located at yourrainloopinstall/?admin and you can remove the domains like gmail, outlook.com,yahoo from the list, then it won't let you do it.
Yes I realize you can add and remove domains...  My point was that anyone can access your installation and their mailboxes on whatever domains you have configured, unless you restrict access to that directory in which case you have to login twice.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh hey, look. Someone sent me this:

Hilarious thing is that I was testing out the RainLoop webmail demo (http://demo.rainloop.net/).

I was looking through the trash folder to see mail as part of the demo process and guess what I see?

Someone deleting sent mail.

Subject: Fuck
Content: fuckvpsboard

I was able to see the full header and get the user's IP. Seems they use Time Warner.

Anyways here's the full e-mail.
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: RainLoop/1.3.1.444
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 01:14:22 +0000
Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: Quoted-Printable
Subject: fuck
X-Originating-IP: 67.242.128.89

<!DOCTYPE html><html dir=3D"ltr"><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" =
content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" /><head><body><div><div><div dir=
=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"mailso-body"><div><div>fuckvpsboard</div></div></d=
iv></div></div></div></body></html> 
I just find it pretty funny. Kinda want to post this in the mail thread but... don't know haha.
Looks like the Buffalo boys are up to their old games: http://www.geoiptool.com/en/?IP=67.242.128.89 :D

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
That was my *lol* for this evening. Thanks! :)
It gets better. I checked the logs for all instances of that IP and the content / threads it has viewed leads me to believe even more it's one of the fools we know and love... :p

I had a laugh at it too, pretty funny stuff.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
That's funny @MannDude.

Yeah it could be anyone.. Any of the dozens of CC related buddy hosts that live in the mistake by the lake called Buffalo.

Now to go short list that IP and see where it ends up next or where it has been found lurking before.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Oh yeah, 67.242.128.89, caught running around looking at did you guess it?   CC/CVPS content.  

Who else wants to check their logs/database?

Code:
cat access.log* | grep 67.242.128.89 | wc -l

Output their activity to a file:
cat access.log* | grep 67.242.128.89  > bufftards.txt

amuck-landowner