amuck-landowner

What browser are you using?

stim

Hi,

I hope this isn't too basic a question, but what browsers are members using?

For years I've been using Opera exclusively, but I'm not happy with it any more. Things really went downhill after Opera 15 when they switched to Chromium

I was somewhat shocked at the aggressiveness of the Opera 'community' - it seems that they don't like criticism, no matter how valid or helpful. I tried to post a comment and I couldn't do that either - I get a constant 404.

So I went to the darkside an installed chrome. It's almost the same thing, but it just works. However I'm determined to move away from Google products completely.

I also tried Firefox several times but I don't gel with it. It feels rather awkward and bloated. Maybe I need to give it another chance? 

This is on windows. On my Linux laptop I still use Opera 12 because it still works (Opera 12 on Windows not so).

Curious to know what the 'pros' are using.

Cheers,

:)

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I mainly use FireFox on my machines (desktop and laptop) as it's what I'm used to and just works. I use a lot of addons and extensions with it so moving would be a PITA.

I do have Chrome installed and sometimes I have to use it. There are *still* some websites that I use occasionally that don't support FFox and I have to use Chrome.. and even IE at times.

I use Chrome on my phone though - works brilliantly!

EnveraHost

I use Chrome for both my computers and phone. In my opinion it's the best browser for the phone as it also offers website compression, so if you request a website they compress it on Google's servers before sending it on to you saving data usage etc.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Primarily Firefox but I've also used this one for over 20 years...

3HWj3tc.png

I use Chrome
Sucks. No actively maintained Gopher extensions so I'm unable to access my Gopher site with it . :p

stim

@DomainBop - I've used lynx and it's nice, but a little basic for some of my needs.

I'm trying Firefox again now. Feels better than last time - definitely faster than I remember. Pretty nice actually!

One thing though - some of the most popular Add-ons are not verified. Should I be worried?

Licensecart

I use Chrome, always have and always will, I do have Opera and Firefox installed but only used for testing purposes. I used to love Rockmelt before they naff'ed it up.

vRozenSch00n

I use Opera Portable, Firefox Portable, Ice Weasel Portable, Sea Monkey Portable, Iron Portable, and Chrome Portable in windows.

In Linux Ice Weasel & Midori

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Firefox.  It tends to have more bugs on updates than some, especially since they started the fast release cycle to keep up with Google.  Usually it's fixed by reinstalling and it keeps the extensions and options in place so I don't have to re-setup everything.

However, I like to support the Mozilla foundation because I like what they are based on and support.

Firefox is the most customizable browser though in my opinion.   Not just through themes and extensions, but about:config and toolbar.  I have it highly customized and run about 10 extensions. 

Last edited by a moderator:

stim

Well after a few hours of using Firefox I have mixed feelings.

It's definitely an improvement over the previous version I tried, but I'm constantly reminded of why I never went full Firefox before, namely that some sites refuse to display properly.

For example, I run a Subsonic server that works fine in other browsers, but throws an error in Firefox.

Similarly, I've been developing a few javascript functions, and I'm having difficulty getting some of them to work. I have disabled plugins and add-ons sequentially to see if they are the problem, but they are not. I don't have the time or the technical nous to resolve these issues myself.

I prefer using Opera portable. It has the best functions and the best features.
I am going to look again at Opera Portable. This one?
http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

devonblzx

Verified Provider
For example, I run a Subsonic server that works fine in other browsers, but throws an error in Firefox.

Similarly, I've been developing a few javascript functions, and I'm having difficulty getting some of them to work. I have disabled plugins and add-ons sequentially to see if they are the problem, but they are not. I don't have the time or the technical nous to resolve these issues myself.
If you're developing Javascript for the public, you're going to want to fix them for all browsers.  Firefox may be acting correctly due to a bad syntax and maybe Chrome or Opera accepts a bad syntax.  Installing the Firebug extension is a must when developing javascript and using firefox.

As for the error, what is it?  Have you googled it?

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
I am running firefox nightly build. Been using it since version 2.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Firefox primarily across devices.  I have Chromium installed as well.  Linux desktops here so no IE unless I boot into the Windows partition that I never use :p

RockTBN

Verified Provider
I'm using Chrome (mainly) and Firefox on PC, Safari. No other browsers can beat Chrome at multi-tab tasks. 

raj

Chrome on Android and Windows 7, Iceweasel on Debian, links on CLI.

Edit:  Just wanted to note how big a fan I still am of text-based browsers.  While making media rich websites sounded like a brilliant idea, I've found that it just made it harder and harder to find actual content.  Going back to a text-based browser made it easier to find what I needed fast.  Fast is the whole point of it.

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
The sad answer is, all of them.  Firefox runs about 5 tabs from billing, monitoring, and more.  Safari runs the live chat client, and internet explorer runs my 'web surfing'.  Finally chrome runs the internal monitor systems.

this is the only way i can keep everything working as safari, and firefox constantly crash with certain apps running in browser after about 2 to 5 days.  Safari is the worst of the lot for crashing on resources.

stim

If you're developing Javascript for the public, you're going to want to fix them for all browsers.  Firefox may be acting correctly due to a bad syntax and maybe Chrome or Opera accepts a bad syntax.  Installing the Firebug extension is a must when developing javascript and using firefox.

As for the error, what is it?  Have you googled it?
Yes I'm looking into it now. I have webpages with multiple divs updating in real-time.

Tried Opera USB and whilst it has all the familiar features I missed, it's a little too slow for my liking (not running from USB but from SSD).

I will hold onto it though as it's very handy.

Firefox it will have to be. I'll just work through the issues as they arise, and keep Opera 12.17 as backup.

Chrome is gone - good riddance!

iClickAndHost

Verified Provider
Mostly Chrome and Firefox. 
Firefox had more advanced features but i somehow tend to browse around with Chrome more. 

AlphaNine_Vini

Verified Provider
Google Chrome is good. But yes that is true that as per policies of Google. Your privacy is open to Google. Google collect data from Google chrome to enhance their business strategies. Have you used Safari browser by Apple. That is good even.

amuck-landowner