amuck-landowner

What do you use your Raspberry Pi for?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Not sure how many of you read through that reddit post... but one guy is using his as a Raspberry Pibrator for his wife... :eek:
Yeah, I saw that... Interesting read really. Elaborate setup by the sounds of it. Who said geeks don't get any? Well, actually, I guess his pi getting some. But he gets to watch and fine tune it, haha.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
ktoi4Oy.jpg

Haven't had much time to do much with it yet. Tonight I will certainly fuss around with it a bit more. It's here!

matt[scrdspd]

SecuredSpeed
Verified Provider
Mine's just being used for XBMC.  Streams videos onto it and such.

Yep, awesome.  
Have you run into any issues with it? Plays 1080p x264 videos smoothly? Anything to be aware of/limitations? 

I have a custom built HTPC (running XBMC) for my main TV but was considering getting 1 or 2 RP's for other TV's in the house (media is stored on a central file server).

acd

Have you run into any issues with it? Plays 1080p x264 videos smoothly? Anything to be aware of/limitations? 
rasbmc can be flakey, at least the version I tried. If you are running a 256MB board, don't even bother with it, it will lock up on you while trying to navigate menus and playback video at the same time (which is what it is designed to do, you can't avoid this); you really need a 512MB (rev2) board to make it work. Occasionally, I'll get video stutter on some high bitrate files (really high 5+mbit burst) when streaming from samba/nfs but I'm not sure if this is a network problem or a raspi problem (raspi seems to be capped at around 80mbps effective bw). It has hardware assisted decoding for mpeg4 and h264, so as long as you're not trying to stream your DVD images (mpeg2), it's pretty durn quick and seamless, even at 1080p24&p30 (I don't have any p60s, or I'd try it). Decoding is based on ffmpeg as far as I can tell, so it's very compatible and accurate demuxing & decoding. I use stereo out because I'm sending to a monitor (hdmi->dvi converter) instead of to a TV so I can't speak on the hdmi audio output, but I'm sure proper futzing with pulseaudio will get it working. The plugins for TV show metadata in xbmc suck, even with configured "properly" and have a hard time recognizing folders & subfolders, but it plays back the files just fine from the browser.

tl;dr version, if you're already running XBMC and like how it handles, pick up a raspi model B rev2. A fully kitted out rpi w/ case, psu, and storage will probably run you 70-80$ and if it isn't suitable for your media playback needs, you can always repurpose it as a seriously overpowered garage door opener.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I'm running raspbmc on a 256 model with no problems what so ever. There are tweaks you can do to minimize the menu glitching.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Ordering one now for this: http://rpitc.blogspot.com/

I threw out my desktop and home servers in place of my netbook that I just RDP into a Windows 7 VM on a dedicated server with a 1Gbps port, this should remove the need for my netbook now. :)

Out of curiosity, did anybody buy a case for theirs? I was looking at some of the cases online and they look pretty cool but I also found some nice instructions for building cases out of LEGOs which are fun and cheap. :D

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Out of curiosity, did anybody buy a case for theirs? I was looking at some of the cases online and they look pretty cool but I also found some nice instructions for building cases out of LEGOs which are fun and cheap. :D
I thought about ordering one, then I thought it'd be much more fun to build one. Probably go the lego route as well.

Right now it just stays on my desk, though I still haven't do anything with it yet.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I thought about ordering one, then I thought it'd be much more fun to build one. Probably go the lego route as well.

Right now it just stays on my desk, though I still haven't do anything with it yet.
Who did you buy from? I see Amazon has dozens of sellers all for the same price.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I ordered from MemoryWhiz. $48.94 for next day shipping (I could have gotten in Saturday for free but I sleep during the day so I opted to pay the $3.99 for it to arrive tomorrow instead).

pcan

Ordering one now for this: http://rpitc.blogspot.com/
I already tried that. A well refined distribution, but despite the accelerated x driver, scrolling performance on the Windows desktop is horrible and a simple flash animation will grind to a halt the browser window in the RDP session. According to qualified posters on Raspberry official forum, the Raspberry GPU is unsuited to drive a X-based desktop. The Raspberry Pi foundation sponsored solution will be a Wayland porting. This will hopefully be more suited to the peculiar SOC architecture of the Raspberry Pi.

For the time being, I use my Raspberrys for headless tasks only. I found a further trivial but useful use as FTP/TFTP server to store device firmware updates. Some updates must be made at off-peak hours; previous solution was to leave a old laptop in the rack, the Raspberry is easier to carry.

acd

There are tweaks you can do to minimize the menu glitching.
Care to elaborate? I tried disabling RSS and a bit of OC (1GHz stable) but neither fixed my problem. Not like you can still get a model B w/ 256MB of ram, but I'm curious to know how I could have fixed it.

Not that anyone asked, but I recommend the case I picked up, http://amzn.com/B008TCUXLW . At 14$, it's nearly cheaper than the lego solution--those damn blocks are pricy! ;)

titanicsaled

Kujoe, how does connecting to a windows 7 VM on a dedi work for you? Is that dedi on your local network or in a DC somewhere? I've always been interested in thin client computing but never really got round to it myself. If big companies could make it mainstream and integrate it with products devices could get even smaller and cheaper and consume a lot less power.

At the moment ive just reimaged my pi for use as a monitoring and status device. I have a 4x20 LCD which I shallbe using to display information collected from my servers.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Kujoe, how does connecting to a windows 7 VM on a dedi work for you? Is that dedi on your local network or in a DC somewhere? I've always been interested in thin client computing but never really got round to it myself. If big companies could make it mainstream and integrate it with products devices could get even smaller and cheaper and consume a lot less power.

At the moment ive just reimaged my pi for use as a monitoring and status device. I have a 4x20 LCD which I shallbe using to display information collected from my servers.
It's been great. I only use my netbook OS for audio and video. I've got my primary drive synced between my netbook, NAS, and Windows 7 VM so no matter where I am I have all of the data I need. I have 2 dedicated servers in 2 different data centers, one is about 40ms latency and the other is about 70ms so I keep my Windows 7 and Server 2008 VMs in the closer data center while keeping my linux distros in the other.

After reading pcan's reply, I don't know how well it will work for me, but worst case it can still make a great media player since my NAS doesn't support transcoding and my TV only supports a few codecs.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Going to setup an FM Transmitter and drive around tomorrow and watch peoples reactions as I interrupt their station they're listening to :p jk

I hear the FM Transmitter can actually be pretty powerful, I'm about to find out :p
Which FM transmitter?

FCC regulations and similar international regulations pretty much limit FM transmitters to 50mw or less.  FCC regulations  are way more complicated than that though.  It is a field strength test done for a distance.

All legal FM transmitters (unmodified) are limited to 50ft or less.  At maximum, maybe 200 feet in open space.   AM broadcasting, well that gives you more power and range, but still small range normally.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

You can do what I did with mini itx for eons.

They sell these threaded pieces of steel at hardware stores (big box ones)  Like a big headless screw--- various lengths - 6in, 1ft, etc.

I take 4 of these and place them in normal corner/mount holes.  Then I take a rubber grommet and a nylon nut and put those on the bottom of each leg --- can adjust the nut to height you want to raise it up off surface.  

Another set of grommets and nuts on top keep the board snug in place.

It's pretty cheap and open air :)

amuck-landowner