amuck-landowner

What do you use your Raspberry Pi for?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Good thinking. Assuming the Raspberry Pi has some sort of temperature sensor I'll be using my nice little temp monitoring script. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Good thinking. Assuming the Raspberry Pi has some sort of temperature sensor I'll be using my nice little temp monitoring script. :)
I'm old school like that. Way too easy to burn things up :)

Still haven't bought a Pi, but considering one to drive a pair of radio transmitters (AM and FM).  Feed the transmitters audio, store the programming, etc.

Have to get up to speed with Jack and other other tools to get the solution hammered out and see if the Pi can keep up.

fisle

Oh man I really want to get one after reading the reddit link and this thread.. Wanna try OpenELEC with it so badly.. but have to get my TV fixed first, damn you old plasma, just out of nowhere *boom* and now only color it displays is blue :|

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I think I'm going to play around with PiBang if the RPITC doesn't work out for me.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well, I finally decided to play with my Pi tonight. No net connection to it so connecting to it via ethernet.

Was able to ping the Pi, the Pi could ping my debain desktop. Could SSH into the Pi via my PC BUT the connection keeps dropping. I can fix it by reassigning the IP back to eht0, but it's a pain in the ass.

So, I can SSH into my Pi. I have a couple minutes to play around with it 'remotely' (its 2 feet away from me) and then terminal locks up. Can't ping it, can't reach it. I reissue, 'sudo ifconfig eth0 [iP]' and can connect to the Pi again. Repeat. What do I need to do to get this to 'take hold'?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
So, I can SSH into my Pi. I have a couple minutes to play around with it 'remotely' (its 2 feet away from me) and then terminal locks up. Can't ping it, can't reach it. I reissue, 'sudo ifconfig eth0 [iP]' and can connect to the Pi again. Repeat. What do I need to do to get this to 'take hold'?
What os + version are you using?

Chronic

I'm running raspbmc on a 256 model with no problems what so ever. There are tweaks you can do to minimize the menu glitching.
I tried RaspBMC during it's early stages, but have later switched over to Xbian, which has been performing great. I'm running it on a Model B though and I haven't tried network streaming yet, I've been using a USB key.

Out of curiosity, did anybody buy a case for theirs? I was looking at some of the cases online and they look pretty cool but I also found some nice instructions for building cases out of LEGOs which are fun and cheap. :D
I got mine from ModMyPi. It's fairly sturdy and it looks nice enough. I got the regular model in black, but they have a few different ones in selection along with a ton of other accessories.

matt[scrdspd]

SecuredSpeed
Verified Provider
rasbmc can be flakey, at least the version I tried. If you are running a 256MB board, don't even bother with it, it will lock up on you while trying to navigate menus and playback video at the same time (which is what it is designed to do, you can't avoid this); you really need a 512MB (rev2) board to make it work. Occasionally, I'll get video stutter on some high bitrate files (really high 5+mbit burst) when streaming from samba/nfs but I'm not sure if this is a network problem or a raspi problem (raspi seems to be capped at around 80mbps effective bw). It has hardware assisted decoding for mpeg4 and h264, so as long as you're not trying to stream your DVD images (mpeg2), it's pretty durn quick and seamless, even at 1080p24&p30 (I don't have any p60s, or I'd try it). Decoding is based on ffmpeg as far as I can tell, so it's very compatible and accurate demuxing & decoding. I use stereo out because I'm sending to a monitor (hdmi->dvi converter) instead of to a TV so I can't speak on the hdmi audio output, but I'm sure proper futzing with pulseaudio will get it working. The plugins for TV show metadata in xbmc suck, even with configured "properly" and have a hard time recognizing folders & subfolders, but it plays back the files just fine from the browser.

tl;dr version, if you're already running XBMC and like how it handles, pick up a raspi model B rev2. A fully kitted out rpi w/ case, psu, and storage will probably run you 70-80$ and if it isn't suitable for your media playback needs, you can always repurpose it as a seriously overpowered garage door opener.
Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. Id definitely buy the newer 512MB version.

I'm a big fan of XMBC. It has always worked quite well for me over the years. My first XBMC project was actually soft modding an original XBOX into a media center to play XVID AVI's. It worked well for a long time until I wanted to play HD video and the poor little ~Pentium 3 CPU in there couldn't keep up.

Chronic

Not sure if this counts, but I've just set an old MicroSD card up with Raspbian, cross compiled the Armory Bitcoin client for ARM and am using it as a cold storage Bitcoin wallet. Just an idea, if anyone was thinking about anything similar. The Raspberry is great for this purpose because you don't need to dedicate it to the task and can instead just swap the MicroSD cards when needed.

https://bitcoinarmory.com/

https://gist.github.com/FiloSottile/3646033

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=156003.msg1691384#msg1691384

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I went to Walmart today to grab an SD card and some LEGOs and completely forgot about both. :( Hopefully I have some empty SD cards laying around that will work since UPS should be here any moment.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
How are amazon basics products, any good? I've not gotten around to buying anything from them since monoprice gets the job done...
I've got an HDMI to DVI cable and a mouse from them. It is indeed basic, but it works just fine. They both seem like sturdy products: the cable is a bit thicker with solid connectors and the mouse feels well put together. No complaints, for the price.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
AWESOMENESS!!!! Luckily I found a 2GB SD card to play with and just as I finished putting RPITC on it there was a knock at the door. I was logged into my Windows 7 VM about 5 minutes after opening the box and it's not bad but not as good as my netbook of course.

I'm wondering if I set the resolution lower it wouldn't be so choppy. Right now it's usable in 1600x1200 but even as I type this there's a bit of a delay. I've got MTPuTTY open with 12 tabs and it's smooth as can be though so I'm sure it's just Chrome being slow.

I will probably pick up a 8GB card tonight for PiBang to see how well that works.  I do have to say that RPITC is beautiful and would make an excellent OS by itself (Debian based with LXDE).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The Pi has a transmitter built in, or rather, you can run certain software and connect an antenna up to one of the GPIO pins and it's a very good FM transmitter.
Pi has an FM transmitter built in?  Never heard/knew this before.  Do you have a reference of some sort to support this feature so I can get up to speed?

amuck-landowner