amuck-landowner

What do you use your Raspberry Pi for?

acd

Not sure if this counts, but I've just set an old MicroSD card up with Raspbian, cross compiled the Armory Bitcoin client for ARM and am using it as a cold storage Bitcoin wallet.

Not exactly the same thing, but I do something similar with my trusted CA privatekey for my vpn, pki auth, etc. It's not rpi though, I have it on my beagleboard, though there's no reason you couldn't do it on the rpi.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Half the fun is buying a ton of LEGOs to build other things with to interact with the RPi. :)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Anyone know if there are waterproof cases for Raspberry pi's? I have an idea that would require one. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Anyone know if there are waterproof cases for Raspberry pi's? I have an idea that would require one. 
Probably, but I haven't seen / shopped for one.  

What I've done for over a decade with electronics stuff like this (when deploying outdoors) is head to the local big box hardware store.

There are tons of plastic outdoor enclosures for electric equipment.  Often pretty simple boxes and big enough to pack more inside than just a Pi.

acd

Waterproof usually means air tight, which probably won't play well with the rpi, which does run hot enough to require ventilation. YMMV

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Waterproof usually means air tight, which probably won't play well with the rpi, which does run hot enough to require ventilation. YMMV
I asked about this earlier with the lego cases :)

There are outdoor waterproof cases with passive ventilation.  I always try to shade my outdoor hacks where I can (unless it has forced air fan in the enclosure).

Waterproofing remains a bit issue where heat and ventilation must exist.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
If the water is cold enough can't you utilize some sort of heatsink to dissipate the heat?

bizzard

Got hold of mine last day and is experimenting with it. Plans to build a portable advertizing unit out of it, so that it can be kept in places like malls and the the videos can be updated remotely.

Surprized to see that it supports a USB hub, with a wifi adapter, 3G dongle, Keyboard and mouse without any external supplly and the pi itself is running from the USB power of my laptop.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Just ordered a couple of SD cards to test out along with a case (LEGOs don't last long around a 2 year old :() and a WiFi adapter (LESS CABLES!!! :D).

amuck-landowner