amuck-landowner

What do you use your Raspberry Pi for?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

i'm thinking of running a CB station that broadcasts time and weather.

I had cobbled this together using a text-to-voice tool for Debian for the time/date portion. The weather I pulled here for the United States from NOAA. They have approximately hourly files they update for various (not all) NOAA reporting stations. Simple wget when you locate the proper file(s).

mplayer for a playlist of the time/date then the weather.

Simple lightweight fun evening project.

mtwiscool

I had cobbled this together using a text-to-voice tool for Debian for the time/date portion. The weather I pulled here for the United States from NOAA. They have approximately hourly files they update for various (not all) NOAA reporting stations. Simple wget when you locate the proper file(s).

mplayer for a playlist of the time/date then the weather.

Simple lightweight fun evening project.
The hardest part is the putting Up an antenna.

I want it to also do other stats like moon these, and other info

And want to know what is the info to broadcast

VPN.SH

I'll be getting hold of a Raspberry Pi soon and using it as a CCTV camera to keep an eye on my motorbike, as it's currently parked at the side of a busy road that's between a town centre and a university campus, and drunken students frequently like knocking it over. Hoping that a camera and a big "CCTV in operation" sign may keep the pests away!

Anybody have experience setting up a Raspberry Pi as a CCTV unit? Found a tutorial somewhere, but any past experiences from guys here would be much appreciated if shared!

Boltersdriveer

Verified Provider
I just got my second rPi and have installed Plex Media Center on it - Rasplex. (http://rasplex.com)

Quite pleased with it considering it only cost $50 (incl. shipping) to have a nice media centre machine that works pretty well. And I could still add IR sensor and use a control in future :)

stim

Eventually got one :) Should have done it earlier because this is one nifty device for the money.

My main purpose was to create a zombie backup server using BTsync under Raspian. I cobbled together an unused 1tb drive, powering both it and the pi from a USB hub. I found an old charger that can supply enough juce to the hub (2A) and it's working perfectly. 

Speed-wise, It completely tears the ass off my old LG NAS. That's going in the bin. 

Cool thing is,  I just have to reboot into Raspbmc and I have the full media centre which can be controlled by my TV remote out-of-the box. Flawless operation - no need to overclock. 

..or boot into PiMame for a quick game of Wizball....

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
i'm thinking of running a CB station that broadcasts time and weather.
Worked on this project yet?  Sounds good / useful.

Glad to see the Pi conversations.   Hope to get more hobbyists working on them here in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Well I got given a RPi by my school back in September, haven't really had a chance to use it properly. Only use for it at the moment is to help some kids at the local primary school learn python, the RPi makes it feel fun for them I guess. ;)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well I got given a RPi by my school back in September, haven't really had a chance to use it properly. Only use for it at the moment is to help some kids at the local primary school learn python, the RPi makes it feel fun for them I guess. ;)
Using the RPi to learn Python sound like a great idea.... Should bring some of that knowledge up to here... Bunch of Pi owners lurking and good way to get folks doing more with them.  

I need to pick up another 512MB on.   Existing one is already overtaxed doing other things :)

stim

Bought another one and made it into a slick media centre using xmbc/Raspbmc. Glued it to the back of the TV. I put openvpn on it so my girlfriend can watch BBC iPlayer inc. HD. She's thrilled!

I did run into some problems, including 2 corrupted SD cards, but they were all related to power supply. I was powering it from a hub and hoped to attach a couple of drives. The Pi is very sensitive to voltage drops. All solved after getting a better PSU and using a network drive instead.

It performs way better than expected!

Taronyu

Does anyone know if it is possible to run rtorrent on it? I can throw one for pretty cheap in a DC including 100mbit unmetered.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iOCEAN X7 met Tapatalk

stim

Does anyone know if it is possible to run rtorrent on it? I can throw one for pretty cheap in a DC including 100mbit unmetered.

Headless qbittorrent runs fine here, and is pretty light on resources with a great webUI (port 8080)

Code:
sudo apt-get install qbittorrent-nox

amuck-landowner