amuck-landowner

What do you use your Raspberry Pi for?

Boltersdriveer

Verified Provider
I've been having fun with mine running several services!

-Plex Media Server

-nginx

Really a solid piece of device, simply attached to my primary server with an additional ethernet cable plugged into it.

CraigA

Verified Provider
I use one for XBMC and another I use to run an HID authentication system to start my car

CraigA

Verified Provider
Here is me doing the same thing to the University parking system.  Disclaimer: This was all done under the supervision by one of my professors :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So anyone out there use their Raspberry Pi for simple MP3 playing/streaming?

Interested in knowing if that speedy co-processor for media can/will/does also do MP3 offloading.  Interested in using one to decode an  audio stream (ideally on co-processor) so the wimpy CPU can be used to actually do anything else.

What do folks think?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I've joined the Pi cult.

While small, the boards aren't the smallest out there and some big hand models showing them in hand :)

About to re-use this nifty plastic box the Pi came in as a ghetto case, maybe.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I am streaming them to my hi-fi system, don't think that playback (mplayer) through HDMI will cause a lot of load.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am loving my Pi.  It's a nifty piece of time waste :)  Performance on disk, network, etc. is meh.  It's not server grade in any way, but sure is a cobbler/hacker/tinkerers wet dream.

A few random things I am liking:

1. The Pi has an RNG Random Number Generator built in.  Requires module + config to get it working.  

2. The Pi is capable of broadcasting on the FM band.  That's right, it's capable of being used as a FM transmitter.  Sufficient for all sorts of stuff (car audio, listening around house, etc.).  Requires custom code, file transcoding and currently crappy software and since the Pi uses parts involved for other tasks, best for a Pi server only.   Running a desktop will likely end up in bad experience/breakage.

bizzard

My present Pi is being used as a headless download system, connected with a pretty old IDE HDD, using a USB to IDE Converter. Using a normal PC SMPS to power the whole system. Will post a pic of the whole setup soon.

Have ordered 2 more Pi's which will be delivered by next week.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well, I have 2 Pi's now...  Model B 512MB and a Model A 256MB model....

The Model A is on the shelf until I get a wifi adapter that works right out of the box or nearly...  Stupid Chinese ones I bought had mislabeling on listing about chipset and that chipset doesn't appear to work right in current Debian.  Definitely not plug and play.

My 512MB Model B is running ssh tunnels, sshfs, proxying, DNS server...  traffic cleanup, filtering, ad blocking, etc.   Still half baked and in progress.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I hope to have my new project finished by Christmas. I'm setting up a dashboard camera for my car using the RPi. Hopefully I'll get the HD camera for Christmas and then I'll just need to work on the mounting fun. I wish I could get it setup before our camping trip in the mountains but I don't think I will. :(

bizzard

I received my two new Pi's today. The shipping from RS Components was pretty fast as I was expecting it on Monday only. It costed me around INR 3250 (~53 USD) per Pi. Didn't get much time today to play with them. Actually, I haven't even opened the plastic cover.

Will be replacing my existing Pi functioning as the download system with one of the new, as they have a 1 year warranty. Not sure whether it will last that much, considering the power fluctuations in my place. :p

I still have few issues to be sorted out.

1. The UPS powering the Pi and router goes off after a few mins of power outage due to low load.
  2. Not yet able to make swap work from the HDD connected. Tried many ways, but no success.
Here is a pic of my present setup.

COxS80C.jpg

Using the NO-IP service for dynamic DNS, since we have dynamic IP allocations here. Just installed Fail2Ban and its already receiving attacks on SSH mostly from 61.147.1**.* IP's. The other major processes running are transmission-daemon and nginx.

If anyone needs an Indian IP to do some legit tests, I have my Pi online and can give access to it. Its has 2Mbps unmetered downlink and 512Kbps uplink.

amuck-landowner