amuck-landowner

What do you use your Raspberry Pi for?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Nick

Just started to reinstall mine.

Going to setup an FM Transmitter and drive around tomorrow and watch peoples reactions as I interrupt their station they're listening to :p jk

I hear the FM Transmitter can actually be pretty powerful, I'm about to find out :p

Alto

I've got two Pi's running RaspBMC streaming video and audio from my NAS. Not terribly exciting I know, but a hell of a lot cheaper than buying 2 network media players.

Once I pick up another one, I'm either going to use it for a mini-mame cabinet, or mount it onto the back of an X-Arcade tankstick for (semi)portable 2-player arcade shenanigans. Again, not terribly exciting, but what can I say, I like playing arcade games and being able to watch my anime in every room.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
One of mine is running RaspBMC and sits under the telly connected to the NAS.

acd

2x raspi+USB DAC -> pulseaudio remote speaker endpoints, because I can't be bothered to run both speaker and ethernet wire. Another one resets the power on my flaky DSL modem after 10-20 minutes of no internet accessibility.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
First Raspberry Pi:

Installed Raspbian (http://www.raspbian.org) on it. Afterwards lighttpd + Ruby. My photo blog is running on it. Uses ssh for local port forwarding. I use one of my little ServerDragon vps as "proxy".

Second Raspberry Pi:

Mame + Xbox 360 controller + HDMI cable = arcade machine.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yay, mine will be here tomorrow. Still not 100% sure what I will do with it just yet, but will certainly find something. Anyhow, it will be an excuse to go buy some Legos so I can build a case for it...

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Paper Weight.. I bought mine when they first came on sale (took months to get) never got around to really doing anything with it. 

SDvsla5.jpg

acd

Model A has no ethernet phy. B rev1 is 256MB. B rev2 is 512MB and has mounting holes (which you can see in the picture).

pcan

At work I have installed a Raspberry pi with attached Dallas temperature sensors near the top of each rack. Each Raspberry run a script that sample the temperature every 2 minutes and store it on a local Mysql database. Data is replicated to a central database. A web application (on a regular VPS) read the database to create a zoomable graph. It also send email alerts if the temperature is outside boundaries or if data cannot be read from the Raspberry; the issue is recorded for statystical analysis.. Temperature resolution is 0.1 degree and the graph is pretty accurate. This whole setup is less costly than the cheapest commercial temperature monitor, has more features, and the Raspberry pi temselves are generic network servers that will be used for further monitoring efforts.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
At work I have installed a Raspberry pi with attached Dallas temperature sensors near the top of each rack. Each Raspberry run a script that sample the temperature every 2 minutes and store it on a local Mysql database. Data is replicated to a central database. A web application (on a regular VPS) read the database to create a zoomable graph. It also send email alerts if the temperature is outside boundaries or if data cannot be read from the Raspberry; the issue is recorded for statystical analysis.. Temperature resolution is 0.1 degree and the graph is pretty accurate. This whole setup is less costly than the cheapest commercial temperature monitor, has more features, and the Raspberry pi temselves are generic network servers that will be used for further monitoring efforts.

You win.  I'm done.  Haha.  You win.

That's amazing.  If you have atleast a picture or something that'd be fantastic.  If you want to give more detail I'd appreciate that too.  Just.  Woah. 

Model A has no ethernet phy. B rev1 is 256MB. B rev2 is 512MB and has mounting holes (which you can see in the picture).

Thanks for clearing that up.  Yeah totally blanked that they went through three versions.  

pcan

This sensor is measuring the rack internal temperature. Picture is not very clear because I made it in a hurry; the sensor is the red part at the end of the white wire, attached to the rail with the black zip tie.

OA82p6u.jpg

This is a (small) part of the custom monitoring dashboard, with a temperature graph (celsius degrees).

AnX8Vgl.jpg

For instance, this is the temperature of the cold air output of one HVAC unit in a tandem configuration (two units that alternate every 10 hours). You can clearly see the compressor constantly starting and stopping; at the end of the shift you see the ambient temperature. Each Raspberry Pi can support dozens of cheap temperature sensors on a 1-wire bus.

[edit]: This is the web page that explains how to attach the cheap Dallas sensor to the Raspberry Pi header. I used a 2k4 resistor, it makes the reading more stable. http://blog.a-netz.de/2013/02/measuring-temperature-with-the-raspberry-pi/

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalam

Running OpenELEC (XBMC) behind the TV. Have a 2TB external plugged into the USB port of my router that it pulls content from.

amuck-landowner