amuck-landowner

What do you use your Raspberry Pi for?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Does anyone know if it is possible to run rtorrent on it? I can throw one for pretty cheap in a DC including 100mbit unmetered.
Yeppers, it runs rtorrent just fine.   Use one of my Pi's almost solely for that.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Time to bump this thread with the release of the new Raspberry Pi!

I've got the new one sitting on my desk. Awaiting a new MicroSD from Amazon to arrive so I can tinker with it. Planning a Plex server with it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Mine tuns the transmission-daemon pretty well, with the web interface enabled.
Transmission, oh that's what my Pogoplug does ;)

The whole Plex server I never jumped onto, especially on these ARM devices since they lack any proper disk interface.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Getting around to messing with my RPI2 again tonight. Doing a reinstall and going to do some tinkering... Going to play with IPB4 and some random network stuff.

Anyone been doing anything neat with theirs lately?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Originally mine was a wireless access point.

But now I think I've given up with ARM devices.  It was fun but I haven't seen anything really practical come out of it besides for tinkering purposes.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Mine went fubar on the boot OS... so it's collecting dust until I find time to copy data off and reinstall.

pcan

I still use several RPis at work, there are two dozens in production now. The latest additions are:

• quad-view monitor replacement for videosurveillance (on lobby desks) - they display 4 mpeg streams from IP-cameras on a repurposed 19'' dvi computer monitor. The backend is ZoneMinder.
  • RDP thin client.
The original RPi CPU was too weak for this purposes. The new RPi2 works just fine.

Other uses are:

• environamental monitor for network/computer rooms (sensors are cheap).
  • digital signage client, for office lobby
  • email+ftp server for multifunction printer. I use it to enable scan-to-email and scan-to-folder functions
  • datalogger for industrial measurements (voltage, current, thermocouple)
After almost 2 years of continued use, the weak spots of the RPi hardare have been the power supply and the SD card.

• The USB cable needs to be "thick". Regular run-of-the-mill cheap USB cables may work for a while, but the RPi will be unstable.
  • Most SD cards will fail after a while. We spent lot of time troubleshooting several options. The Samsung Pro micro-sd cards are my current choice. Avoid Kingston. I got mixed results with SanDisk.
Microsoft released Windows 10 for RPI2 yesterday. It is not a full-fledged OS now; the RPi just becomes a kind of peripheral of the main PC. They suggest Samsung evo and Sandisk SD cards, both of them failed to me after intense write operations.  http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I've finally replaced my RPi B+ running MRTG with my RPi2 running Observium and it's been great so far.

I'm working on turning my RPi B+ into a self contained surveillance camera with it's own battery backup and internet connection (cheap $10 USB battery pack and free FreedomPop 4G hotspot).

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Mine sits in the shed along with an Arduino Uno and various other boards controlling everything from alarms, cameras, lighting, water features etc :)

stim

I've been very pleased with my Pi2 running as a media centre (OSMC) and remote file server. Works like a champ!

My second Pi has been turned into a dedicated Stockfish chess computer with a webUI. I'm impressed with it's performance so far (beats me every time, and can hold it's own against full-strength Shredder). And it's very easy to setup, thanks to this lovely man.

https://github.com/antiproton/Web-GUI-for-stockfish-chess

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I've been very pleased with my Pi2 running as a media centre (OSMC) and remote file server. Works like a champ!

My second Pi has been turned into a dedicated Stockfish chess computer with a webUI. I'm impressed with it's performance so far (beats me every time, and can hold it's own against full-strength Shredder). And it's very easy to setup, thanks to this lovely man.

https://github.com/antiproton/Web-GUI-for-stockfish-chess
Oh man that's pretty cool.

amuck-landowner