amuck-landowner

What was your first computer?

switsys

Amiga - and at my dad's work he had a terminal to the company's mainframe, from which I couldn't keep my fingers off.

Later on - at school they had 80286's.

The first one I fed with Linux was a power machine - an 80486DX-33 !!

shawn_ky

TRS-80, followed by a Commodore 64 and then an original IBM XT with a 5 1/4 floppy drive and month later bought a HUGE 10 meg hard drive...

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
My parents got me one of these IBM one piece deals.

Was a 486 with *4MB* RAM, 250MB harddrive, & a built-in CDROM.

It came with Windows 3.1 at the time until I upgraded it to Windows 95 a few years later.

'95 took forever to install on it >_>

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I don't recall the hardware specs, just that it was Windows 95 and had a whopping 28.8 kbps which was perfect for Yahoo Checkers which is all I really did online.

Played a lot of Quake 1, though.

bizzard

I have the best configuration among all of you. Got my first computer as a Birthday Present in May 2005, when I was 15.

It was a P4 2.4GHz, with 256MB DDR1 RAM and 80GB HDD with a 17" CRT Monitor, dual booting Windows 98 and XP. Its still at home, working pretty good with a few upgrades and my younger brothers use it for their browsing and watching movies. It now has 1GB RAM and an LED monitor, running Debain Wheezy.

The internet connection was terrible those days, using a dialup modem and I remember playing GTA ViceCity and NFS HP2, but that craze lasted only for an year.

The first computer I used was from my school, which ran DOS from a floppy disk and didn't have any HDD. We played Mario, Prince and Sky Roads in it.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Compaq Presario 4112 Desktop which had a Pentium CPU, 16 MB RAM, drive was 1 GB I think after Circuit City repaired it. Ran Windows 95 - still remember playing Maniac Mansion the most on it.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
First one I used was a Windows 95 machine, 2GB HDD, probably like 64MB memory, though that's just a guess. First computer that was mine was a Compaq Presario SR5050NX: 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Pentium D (2x 3.0GHz) running Windows Vista (which I actually didn't mind). I purchased it for $350 in...2007 I think? Still runs today, Windows 7 now with a second gig of RAM. At one point it was running Win 7 with just 1GB of RAM (32 bit), and it ran just fine. Windows 7 can run (well!) on minimum requirements.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
First personal computer - Celeron Processor with 128mb ram and a floppy, zip, and cd drive. The hard drive was under 20gb (don't remember exact size). It ran Windows 98 and was awesome. I remember being able to make phone calls off the modem, lol.

shawn_ky

lol It's funny seeing the equipment people started with.. Makes me start to feel old... :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
No wolfenstein?
Nah. Never was a huge gamer. But my Dad was (still is). He used to slay us as Quake 1. I actually downloaded it played it on DosBox earlier this year and beat it again. Was interesting going through all the levels for the first time many years and remembering where most the secret stuff is.

Quexis

Verified Provider
The first computer I touched had Windows 95 on it. I believe I still have it somewhere with a 70GB HDD.

My own first computer? Windows XP.

amuck-landowner