amuck-landowner

Which OS will you support

ServerBros

Verified Provider
I'd have to go with CentOS, mainly because we use it so heavily in this industry and they deserve all the thanks they can get. Second option would be Debian :)

Echelon

Verified Provider
Debian, because I have a soft spot for it. CentOS, because the masses cling to it terribly. FreeBSD because quite honestly, I can put it somewhere and not have to worry on it being solid. Last but not least, Alpine Linux, for the minimalist in all of us ;)

javaj

FreeBSD - just because Apple only donated $99 year to the FreeBSD foundation. Hell, even Microsoft donated over $250.

Nice gesture by Apple after gutting the userland for OS-X. As for Microsoft, maybe they were being nice, I don't know that they have ever used FreeBSD code before but I could be wrong.

But yeah, they didn't get a lot of big donations this year by companies like Google or Netflix compared to last year, that and the Apple thing just kinda pisses me off.

Otherwise I'd donate to CentOS too since its used by others and myself so much.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Does it have to be the distribution?  Seems like it would benefit everyone if you donated to the Linux Kernel, driver development, and applications like GNOME, OpenOffice, Apache, PHP, etc :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny_Evorack

Verified Provider
This is a tricky one, but a really cool question!

I definitely wouldn't give it to Ubuntu. I do like Ubuntu's ease of use, however they have plenty of funding behind them already due to Canonical.

Debian seems like an excellent choice, however they don't really have an "organisation" behind them, do they? I think it's just a group of people from around the world contributing. Don't get me wrong, that is fantastic, but when you're donating money, you want it to be properly organised.

Given the situation above, I think that rules out many popular distros. 

What I think I would do, if it's an option (although I'm probably thinking too much into it!), is to start up a company/organisation that just constantly adds features and updates to many FOSS projects - the kernel being one of them. I think that would be pretty cool. That means everyone can benefit :)

Cheers

Jonny
Evorack

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner