amuck-landowner

Who is your dedicated server provider or data center?

365Networks

WSI here and they have been absolutely fantastic for us, their sales/billing is Monday to Friday business hours so that would explain the slow billing issue, personally I have never had a issue with the response time and they have assisted me throughout the whole progress. Nothing but good things with them. Wish they had automated DNS and IPv6 rDNS though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Colo@ (ATL)

WireSix (ATL & LA)

Ubiquity Servers (DAL & LA)

IP-Projects (DE)

My favorite is of course Colo@ / WireSix. The staff there are awesome!

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
WSI here and they have been absolutely fantastic for us, their sales/billing is Monday to Friday business hours so that would explain the slow billing issue, personally I have never had a issue with the response time and they have assisted me throughout the whole progress. Nothing but good things with them. Wish they had automated DNS and IPv6 rDNS though!
Terribly tempted to colo with WSI/Datashack/Joe's since I could throw a bunch of hardrives in a tower and drive there in a few hours and install it myself. Very cheap intro to colo for people like me

KS_Phillip

Verified Provider
We have a full cage in Las Vegas with Fiberhub as well. We share a wall with SilverKnightTech I really like their facility and their techs are really fast on their feet during business hours. Betty is a professional in calming down rabid canadians. When we had those two blips in February, she did her best to keep us informed and calmed down. Rob does a great job on the network & sales given how overbooked he almost always is.

You're just surrounded by us "Knight" themed businesses, aren't you :)

We have a cage in Fiberhub, where we share a wall with @Francisco.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
You're just surrounded by us "Knight" themed businesses, aren't you :)

We have a cage in Fiberhub, where we share a wall with @Francisco.
God dammit <_<

I'm mixing up company names again. I know for a fact I share a large wall with knightswarm, i'm not sure if we share one with silverknighttech.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Terribly tempted to colo with WSI/Datashack/Joe's since I could throw a bunch of hardrives in a tower and drive there in a few hours and install it myself. Very cheap intro to colo for people like me
WSI is good if you are in the main original "downtown" Oak Tower location.  The newer remote site has some delays potentially with staffing.

Their pricing is very good and indeed a great intro into the business.

Good company and people.

Oliver

Verified Provider
I have a few of my own servers at Colocity in Adelaide, South Australia. I've had a very good run there with no network or power outages in just under three years. The only disadvantage high data costs (that problem being related to Australia more than anything else). Being in Australia the servers must be installed upside down in the rack which makes installation a bit more difficult. It doesn't seem to affect reliability though.

I've also got dedicated systems with:

OVH (Roubaix) - Fine for the price

Hetzner - Fine for the price

GorillaServers - Great except for the lack of IPv6

Server4You - Great except for the lack of IPv6. German location only, the US one was flaky when I used it a year or two back.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Upside down racking?  Get out.  That's a funny.

Why are Aussie DC's so darn pricey  @Oliver?

Oliver

Verified Provider
Yes, transit primarily, but power is also expensive. Australia is just expensive regardless (for everything).

Connectivity at the wholesale level between Adelaide and the next major city (Melbourne which is 800km away) costs more per mbit than between Sydney and San Jose apparently.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Not many inner-Aussie transit providers?  

Never understood the high prices in Australia.

Why is power so pricey there?  Another huh for me....

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Why are Aussie DC's so darn pricey  @Oliver?

US and Europe have great (and cheap) networks.  Asia and Australia have very high costs to even run a single network.  Also, doesn't help that many servers have better local/country connection, but anywhere outside that country it has a much slower server connection/speed.  

Oliver

Verified Provider
Not many inner-Aussie transit providers?  

Never understood the high prices in Australia.

Why is power so pricey there?  Another huh for me....
There is transit but when you have a continent the size of the US minus Alaska but with 23 million people and the cities spread out the way they are it makes infrastructure costs (for everything, not just telecommunications) relatively expensive. Power prices are just going up because of taxes and because Australians are finally having to pay the real cost of utilities (including the environmental costs with added taxes to promote more friendly power generation since we primarily rely on coal).

Also Australia is a very small market relative to the US or Europe so we don't have companies working on the same scale as many in other bigger countries.

US and Europe have great (and cheap) networks.  Asia and Australia have very high costs to even run a single network.  Also, doesn't help that many servers have better local/country connection, but anywhere outside that country it has a much slower server connection/speed.  
I don't think even comparing Australia to most of Asia is fair simply because of the density issue. At the end of the day the more densely populated the land area is the cheaper you can provide high volume and high quality infrastructure in rich countries.

Kris

• Constant.com - Stable, good network, support is fast.
  • WholesaleInternet - Who didn't get a box there with the grab bag specials?
  • FitVPS (Telecoms Ltd.) - Because Bulgaria. And a great deal for a dedicated / extremely off-site box. Support is very friendly.
  • OVH - Kimsufi BHS Bons Special, 130 euros for the year, 1TB HDD. Enough said.

dominicl

-WholesaleInternet/DataShack: awesome, decent price, liked the network, but nothing suitable for VPS nodes

-Hivelocity: shit network, shit service, shit people

-ColoCrossing/ChicagoVPS: decent network, great pricing, horrible customer service, total scam

-CaliHop: occasional network blips however after his new setup goes live it won't happen anymore. The best by far...

Think that's it for now :) I left some out but whatever.
I would imagine that your comments about HiVelocity, and probably ColoCrossing/CVPS aren't true. I used HiVelocity for a while quite a while back. They were fantastic. Their reviews also say the same - that their support and network is absolutely fantastic. Care to say how they have a "shit network", "shit service", and "shit people"?

Jono20201

Verified Provider
ConnetU - Best ever UK provider, amazing support around the clock and I seem to be able to contact Charles no matter what time of day it is.

ColoCrossing - Also a very good provider when your established with them, hoping to meet Jon B (IRL) later this year.

SilverKnightTech

Verified Provider
@Francisco, no we don't share a wall, but I can see your servers from my office, and my racks are down the row from your cage.    B)   and yes that was me that was talking to you when the power hiccups happend.   What a day that was.    <_<

Zach

Verified Provider
Colostore, I signed a yearly agreement w/ them for a 1/4th rack, just haven't moved in yet :)

Mun

Never Forget
-WholesaleInternet/DataShack: awesome, decent price, liked the network, but nothing suitable for VPS nodes

-Hivelocity: shit network, shit service, shit people

-ColoCrossing/ChicagoVPS: decent network, great pricing, horrible customer service, total scam

-CaliHop: occasional network blips however after his new setup goes live it won't happen anymore. The best by far...

Think that's it for now :) I left some out but whatever.

I used shovehost, for some reason they kept ddosing sites, using LET as a personal helpdesk, and don't listen. Total Scam!

amuck-landowner